↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Greater Manchester moors wild fire.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Greater Manchester moors wild fire.
Today I visited a friend who lives on the outskirts of Stalybridge in Greater Manchester to check on his welfare and even though his home is two miles from the fire the smoke and acrid air in his street was unbelievable and if you look up at the sky all you can see is a huge plume of smoke. I was only in the area for a short period but the car became covered in a grey and black dust.

This fire really is bad and what the people who live near to the blaze are going through I cannot imagine.
I am sure some of our members live in this Tameside area so I hope those who do are coping alright.

Just noticed on the live update feed that Greater Manchester council have declared the fire a major incident and the fire service have requested that the army is called in to help extinguish the fire.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed it had asked for military assistance.

One resident described seeing "ash falling like rain" and another said it "looked like the apocalypse

For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #714773 27th Jun 2018 3:40pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
It’s the only way us Yorkshire folk can stop our defenders being nicked Whistle only joking, hope everyone stays safe Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #714787 27th Jun 2018 5:15pm
Siwynne

England 
I live 50 miles from Stalybridge in southport. The air is visibly smoky and smells. Today I walked around rivington and could see the smoke and it’s journey from Manchester over land and out into the Irish Sea. It is huge.
Post #714802 27th Jun 2018 6:06pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
There are some serious problems with moorland fires. They can move extremely rapidly especially if wind driven. Another issue is that the fire can become deep seated in the peat and can suddenly reignite in what appears to be an area where the fire is extinguished. Best moorland firefighting thing is long and continuous rainfall so that the dry peat becomes sodden peat again.

Apparently the army has been requested to assist the fire brigade, mountain rescue and national park staff.

Hopefully we do not get any copycats.

Brendan
Post #714812 27th Jun 2018 8:03pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
If and it’s a big if the army still have their wooden fire engines with petrol engines in storage I’m sure they will be a great asset Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

In all seriousness amazing effort to all services so far the hours and conditions people are working too is mental and I hope the army can do their best to assist. Thumbs Up 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #714822 27th Jun 2018 8:54pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
No disrespect to Manchester fire brigade and it's police officers who have been doing a sterling job and great respect to them Thumbs Up
However, trained military and their commanders and infrastructure and equipment I am sure they will get it sorted, even though they are what I consider to be underfunded by our present government I do think we have the best military in the world, and our lads will have this fire sorted once they get going. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #714859 27th Jun 2018 10:03pm
Slideywindows

England 
On a controversial note, I noticed on the TV coverage that all the people dragging heavy hoses and fighting the fires in the sweltering heat were firemen.

Not firefighters.

No doubt the lady firefighters were doing the same on another part of the moor.....

Good luck to those at the "front".
Post #714946 28th Jun 2018 11:04am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mash wrote:
If and it’s a big if the army still have their wooden fire engines with petrol engines in storage I’m sure they will be a great asset ...

They were all cast some time back now, you'll not see the Green Goddesses in action again.
Post #714958 28th Jun 2018 12:48pm
BLACK LAB

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Slideywindows wrote:
On a controversial note, I noticed on the TV coverage that all the people dragging heavy hoses and fighting the fires in the sweltering heat were firemen.

Not firefighters.

No doubt the lady firefighters were doing the same on another part of the moor.....

I served in Strathclyde Fire Brigade for 8 years . ( Grandfather 36 years , Father 30 years ) The Fire Brigades up and down the country are forced to take on more women nowadays . Positive discrimination I think its called . Put very simply - Women cannot do the job as well as a man can .Men do have to work that bit harder to cover for the women in their crews . Large grass fires are usually a prime example that will flag up how weak a woman can get after only a short while of beating grass or heather out . Their upper body strength cannot compare to even a below average man's . If a man says anything in even the slightest hint towards a woman not pulling her weight on a job like a large grass fire then you better believe that he will face the full wrath of his employers as they strive to wrap the women in a protective bubble . Every man in the Brigades now whether they will admit it or not are scared to say anything infront of a woman incase it is taken the wrong way and they get reported . While women make brilliant nurses , fine paramedics and in some instances good police women the Fire Brigade is a better service to the public's safety if it is performed by a man . No question about it . Nowadays the quality is diluted with too many women .

As for that moorland fire down in England ...........We get them every year up in Scotland a great bigger than that and just get on with it . It is the same every time something happens in England like when they get 1cm of snow in London its headline news . Rolling Eyes

Good luck with putting it out though when its over the officer in charge of the incident should be facing serious questions in why he did not call in helicopter assistance alot earlier Whistle 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
2018 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE DYNAMIC
Post #714977 28th Jun 2018 1:46pm
Siwynne

England 
Where I watched Manchester from yesterday is now on fire.
Post #715026 28th Jun 2018 5:55pm
Siwynne

England 

Click image to enlarge

This was two hours ago and it much worse now.
Post #715027 28th Jun 2018 5:56pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
BLACK LAB wrote:
Slideywindows wrote:

Not firefighters.

I served in Strathclyde Fire Brigade for 8 years . ( Grandfather 36 years , Father 30 years ) The Fire Brigades up and down the country are forced to take on more women nowadays . Positive discrimination I think its called . Put very simply - Women cannot do the job as well as a man can .Men do have to work that bit harder to cover for the women in their crews . Large grass fires are usually a prime example that will flag up how weak a woman can get after only a short while of beating grass or heather out . Their upper body strength cannot compare to even a below average man's . If a man says anything in even the slightest hint towards a woman not pulling her weight on a job like a large grass fire then you better believe that he will face the full wrath of his employers as they strive to wrap the women in a protective bubble . Every man in the Brigades now whether they will admit it or not are scared to say anything infront of a woman incase it is taken the wrong way and they get reported . While women make brilliant nurses , fine paramedics and in some instances good police women the Fire Brigade is a better service to the public's safety if it is performed by a man . No question about it . Nowadays the quality is diluted with too many women .

As for that moorland fire down in England ...........We get them every year up in Scotland a great bigger than that and just get on with it . It is the same every time something happens in England like when they get 1cm of snow in London its headline news . Rolling Eyes

Good luck with putting it out though when its over the officer in charge of the incident should be facing serious questions in why he did not call in helicopter assistance alot earlier Whistle

I agree Thumbs Up the Navy did a experiment a few years back when women wanted to join and they proved a fit 9 stone woman wasn’t as strong as the equivalent weight man
On the fire note it’s rumered to have been arson as it belongs to a shoot.
Post #715969 3rd Jul 2018 9:48pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Well the fires are still burning on the moors. Plenty of warnings about continuing hot dry weather and taking care with BBQ and discarded fag ends etc.

What did I see today? A complete moron taking a final drag on his fag before discarding it on to the dry grass on the verge. To say he is a brain dead moron is putting it mildly.

Brendan
Post #716445 6th Jul 2018 5:13pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
That's how most of the wildfires start in Australia. They throw them out of the car window and the vegetation is like a tinderbox, up it goes Evil or Very Mad
Post #716453 6th Jul 2018 5:58pm
BLACK LAB

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
mick wrote:
BLACK LAB wrote:
Slideywindows wrote:

Not firefighters.

Good luck with putting it out though when its over the officer in charge of the incident should be facing serious questions in why he did not call in helicopter assistance alot earlier Whistle

I agree Thumbs Up the Navy did a experiment a few years back when women wanted to join and they proved a fit 9 stone woman wasn’t as strong as the equivalent weight man
On the fire note it’s rumered to have been arson as it belongs to a shoot.

I agree with fairness and equality but trying to put everyone inside the same box or category is wrong . Women and men are different - everyone knows that but quite often nowadays men are acting more like women and women are trying to act more like men . Some jobs out there are better served with a man - pure and simple just the same as women are far better than some jobs then men . Trying to make women into firemen , navymen and soldiers etc is a bit like trying to make a Collie into champion gun dog or a labrador into a prize sheep dog - Just cos its a dog ? Its just doesnt work ......I heard that stupid woman who is meant to be incharge of London Fire Brigade calling for the kids TV show Fireman Sam to be renamed Fire Fighter Sam .......Whit a load of crap she talks and I bet that she has never hardly been in a proper house fire in BA either . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
2018 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE DYNAMIC
Post #716531 7th Jul 2018 5:10am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>