↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > P1103 MAF in range but higher than expected - translation?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kez

Isle Of Man 
P1103 MAF in range but higher than expected - translation?
Hi all, in the last three weeks (ie since i bought t) I have had a P1103 code come up, first time local garage checked and said it was the MAF and nothing serious, just reset it, and again just now (this time I reset it myself). Its 'only' done 35k so surley cant be that knackered already (or can it Shocked )

My question(s) are what is a Mass Air Flow thing, and what does it do.

I am assuming it measure air coming into engine but thats just an uneducated guess. If it is higher then expected, what are the implications etc etc - as you can see I am not technically minded so please keep any replies suitable for half wits such as yours truly!

Cheers
Kerry
Post #69502 3rd May 2011 4:07pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
As you say it meters the air as it comes though the filter. If you look at the filter box and then trace the hose towards the turbo you will see a section just on the outlet of the filter box with wires coming out of it, that's the MAS.

Some people have had them replaced after just a couple of hundred miles and others have never had them replaced, it's a case of pot luck if your works and pot luck is the dealer is willing to change it if there is a fault.

Russell Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #69515 3rd May 2011 4:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kez

Isle Of Man 
Cheer Russell, notice that the unit is actually just a (simple to replace) insert so just have to find someone who can supply one at a sensible cost
Post #69518 3rd May 2011 4:54pm
Lorryman100

Has the MIL light illuminated? P1103 is a common untested DTC which comes up quite often when checking the dtc codes. The MAF sensor sits in the air inlet manifold and lets the ECU know how much air is entering the engine so it can meter out the required fuel/air mix. The MAF sensor is a hot wire sensor meaning that the ecu sends a voltage to the Maf to heat the wire to a known temperature. As air passes over the wire it naturally cools and more voltage is sent to the MAF to keep the wire at the set temperature, this difference in voltages is what the ecu uses to determine how much air is entering the engine.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The MAF sensor is held in place by 2 screws and it is just a case of removing the plug and undoing the screws and lifting the MAF straight out. When replacing a new sensor it is important that it is put in the correct way round. There is an arrow to show air flow direction.

Click image to enlarge

A symptom that the MAF sensor is failing is higher fuel use. The sensor can be back probed to check the current being used. I have been meaning to do a write up on this as I have recently purchased a new fluke automotive handheld oscilloscope along with some other bits and pieces so I will hopefully be doing this shortly, if anyone is interested?
The MAF sensor is available from the LR parts department for about £35 and the dealer will only swap it out if it shows up as a fault on IDS. If in doubt just replace it yourself as it isn't a hard job to do, and the savings in fuel would pay for itself long before LR swap it out. Thumbs Up

HTH Brian.
Post #69519 3rd May 2011 5:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kez

Isle Of Man 
Thanks Lorryman100, that very helpful and informative - as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Post #69522 3rd May 2011 5:25pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Kez - do a search for a post from me around Feb this year - i outline all of the above and what appeared to be linked faults...i may even suggest i started the faulty/not faulty MAF trend.

Basically you MAF can be faulty, but not broken and thus work, with rubbish performance - so you get shoddy performance as it onwardly triggers other faults such as turbo and egr...all withouth the MIL coming on Mike
Post #69529 3rd May 2011 5:58pm
Kez

Isle Of Man 
Cheers Mike, well given the cost of fuel changing it for a new OEM one sounds more like a no brainer to me ?

If anyone knows the relevant part number for the bit I would be most grateful
Post #69546 3rd May 2011 6:35pm
mse

You should be able to get it a little less an £30

MHK501040 is the p/n Mike
Post #69552 3rd May 2011 7:03pm
Kez

Isle Of Man 
Thanks again MSE, appreciate that Thumbs Up
Post #69553 3rd May 2011 7:04pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I can't quite put my finger on it but suspect my MAF might be playing up so for £30 I'm gonna give it a go and if it sorts things I'll try and get a new one or refund retrospectively.........

anyway I'm wondering how many (if any) of these electrical related and intermittent faults might be due to the wiring loom - its just that I personally think the quality of it is shocking....
but then what do I know?

could it be? and does Pete have any conclusive results to his survey on MAF's ?
Post #69774 5th May 2011 1:15pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
sorry but whats OEM Embarassed
Post #69775 5th May 2011 1:18pm
mse

original equipment manufacture

The MAF sensor, due to how it works, is sensitive.

Errors logges through connectors are very likely to be wiring loom related faults i would imagine if current difference is marked where is measures small changes - if that makes sense Mike
Post #69786 5th May 2011 2:07pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
You're also likely to get this if you have a raised air intake. The longer pipe speeds up the airflow over the sensor.
Post #69788 5th May 2011 2:23pm
mse

BigMike wrote:
You're also likely to get this if you have a raised air intake. The longer pipe speeds up the airflow over the sensor.

Are you sure - i didnt get it on my new MAF and the the positive ram affect of a safari, being a good effect, i wouldnt have thought would make any negative affects as its only pushing more air through and the MAF will read an increase air flow, not miss read the airflow - which is the problem Mike
Post #69815 5th May 2011 5:43pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Yes I'm sure. The sensor detects an increase in airflow over the normal parameters. Ironically this was one of things I discussed with the head of service at hillendale this morning. I asked him and he said that in his experience virtually vehicles with a mantec (ie oem) RAI show the fault at one point or another.
Post #69822 5th May 2011 5:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>