↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Pic request- Safari Equip rock sliders
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
Pic request- Safari Equip rock sliders
I would like to get rid of my XS side steps because firstly I’ve never liked how they look and secondly they’re frequently the lowest point when in ruts.

The reason I’ve not done so yet is because I like the car-park security offered by the sticking-out steps, plus the convienience factor and I suppose a reluctance to modify the truck too much (trying to keep it fairly original?)

I think the answer is rock sliders, but I want some well engineered ones; to this end i’d be interested to see pics of anyone with safari equip sliders on their 110. Especially interested in the mounting hardware and attachment method as I think this is what separates a well designed part from a glorified diy-job. I was hoping to find a pdf or something showing how they mount, but can’t find anything.

Reason for considering the SE ones is mostly the galvanised + powder coat finish.. but I’m not set on them. I’ve considered the Dixon fab ones, not sold about how they attach though. I like the bowler sides, but unlike rock sliders they won’t work as a step for getting in or accessing the roof. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #694533 18th Mar 2018 11:20pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Have not got photos of our they are attached. If I get half a chance I will try and take some photos tomorrow morning.

Can vouch for their longevidity. Can assure you they do take some punishment.

12 years old on our red 110 and some people say I abuse the red 110 rather then use it.

Click image to enlarge

On our green 110 with tread plates

Click image to enlarge

Supermarket car parks, just laugh wheh people open their doors against the tree sliders as you know what comes off worse.

Brendan
Post #694546 19th Mar 2018 12:47am
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
Thanks- anyone else using these? Especially 110 applications, keen to see the attachment method and to hear about the fit and finish. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #694622 19th Mar 2018 1:34pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I've been told it was my fault for damaging a woman's door in a car park when she opened it in the adjacent space!

Is the proof in the pudding of a good rock slider that you can jack the vehicle anywhere along its length and both doors will still open/close.
Post #694627 19th Mar 2018 2:18pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

they fit lovely, I added a rubber seal to the top edge to fill the gap between the door/panels and the sliders 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #694628 19th Mar 2018 2:19pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've got a set, but only fitted one side so far. Very robust and heavy. Haven't managed to hit anything with it yet. I also haven't fitted the treadplates yet, but probably should as they are quite slippy without. Children have commented that it is not as useful as a step as the XS side steps as it is more or less at the same height as the entry to the door.

Fixing mechanism is quite straightforward, I took longer taking off the old sills. Came with coated steel nuts and bolts, I elected to buy a set of stainless fixing hardware, just in case I ever remove them. Had to trim a plastic wheel arch slightly to get it to fit. I have also bought (but not yet fitted) some D-section sealing strip to fill the gap between new sill and rest of bodywork. Not visible when door is closed, but looks a little peculiar when they are open. Again, someone has already posted on here how to do this.

I'm sure I've seen special ones posted on here (perhaps by Leeds?) that had the rock sliders at a slightly lower height so they would work better as a step.
Post #694629 19th Mar 2018 2:22pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
@Roy, is the slightly crinkle-finish standard, or have you repainted them?

I’ve heard a few people mention the gap left when removing the factory sill and replacing with rock sliders. Is this because the factory foam seal is attached to the sill rather than the body?

@Supacat, that must have been an amusing conversation! Did she not see the irony of blaming your vehicle for her carelessness? 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #694630 19th Mar 2018 2:24pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I think I recognised her anger as frustration for what she had just done.

It didn't help that she also said Id parked too close to the white line dividing the spaces, until I pointed out she had parked even closer. The facts were just winding her up more...
Post #694633 19th Mar 2018 2:40pm
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
I have these on my 90 and can confirm that they are very strong and well made. Slightly wrinkle finish is due to being painted black over the Galvanising, I guess it’s difficult to get perfect paint finish over Galvanise.

My misses doesn’t like them as they are too high for a step, I’ve had to get a portable step for her to use to get in now.
Post #694636 19th Mar 2018 2:58pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red

Click image to enlarge

Safari equip 130 sliders very handy Thumbs Up even today some plonker opened his door onto my side while I’m sat in it Rolling with laughter he’s got a nice dent on his door edge now. Thumbs Up
Post #694658 19th Mar 2018 3:51pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
Mick- those look great!

Right, off to ask Brendan for a discount. Rolling with laughter 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #694662 19th Mar 2018 4:18pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Noooooooooo Shocked Shocked Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #694663 19th Mar 2018 4:25pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Ha ha ha ha I can hear his teeth drying from here! Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #694704 19th Mar 2018 7:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
How much are the 130 ones? 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #694723 19th Mar 2018 8:29pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Well just to answer the OP question, yes I have been underneath a 110 to take photographs as requested. Now should I actually charge extra for crawling under the 110 to take the photographs? Razz

Front support bracket is bolted where main bulkhead bolt is. I do not know actual torque of this main bolt except FT. You can also see the front jacking point for a high lift jack adaptor.

Click image to enlarge

Middle support is via the outrigger. Note the two spacers there as that outrigger is slightly short. It needs drilling clearance holes for the 8/10mm bolts.

Click image to enlarge

Third support end outrigger and can see back jacking point.

Click image to enlarge

These R + T sliders are heavy and it is easier to use some form of support whilst fitting them.

Trimming of wheel arches? Please remember we are talking about Defender build tolerances and it is anyone guess if they will need trimming.

Powder coating over hot dip galvanisation does leave an orange peel effect. I do not know the reason behind this.

Brendan
Post #694743 19th Mar 2018 9:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>