Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rear Jate Rings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
KU310R

Malta 
Rear Jate Rings
Hi,

Has anyone installed forged Jate rings at the rear on a Puma please? If so can you post some pictures.

I wasn't able to fit mine as they are too wide at the point where the bolt goes through and there is not enough room to tighten the nut as it hits the fuel tank.

Could it be that I am installing them in the wrong place? I was trying to fit them instead of the tie down rings. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Post #693578 15th Mar 2018 7:12pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Yes, I have. I had to spread my rings ( Laughing ) a bit to make them fit over the chassis rails and row bar brackets and I either shortened the bolts or put extra washers under the head to space the away from the tank, can’t remeber which.

However, you need to think about whether you want to use rear Jate rings for recovery. I have read that the rear chassis is not as strong as where the Jate rings fit at the front and so the holes could stretch. Mine are a stop gap until I can afford a receiver hitch with a proper recovery point. If I do need them I’ll connect both sides with bridle to share the load. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #693600 15th Mar 2018 8:29pm
KU310R

Malta 
I don't want to damage the chassis in any way. After some more detail I managed to find a thread which discusses this issue in detail. My intention to install them was not for recovery as such as I don't go offroading in mud Smile

I wanted to have a point which is secure enough to tow a car/ small van in the street. As I have the original dropping tow hitch (which I use quite often to tow a jetski) I don't think I can mount a recovery point on the crossmember.

Any other suggestions?
Post #693605 15th Mar 2018 8:41pm
Bluest

You could just replace your towball with a combination ball and jaw Dixon Bate one. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #693607 15th Mar 2018 8:42pm
KU310R

Malta 
Thanks, haven't thought of that. Would the rest of the assembly be able to take the strain?
Post #693608 15th Mar 2018 8:50pm
Bluest

I would think so, it’s made for exactly what you want to do with it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #693614 15th Mar 2018 9:10pm
KU310R

Malta 
Great! Thanks once again!
Post #693615 15th Mar 2018 9:11pm
Def90

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Hi KU310R

It can be done but it requires a little work!

You can get them to fit the rear of a late 90 but it's a little tight between the fuel tank and the outer edge of the JAT ring, you can't see from the photos I only have 2-3mm clearance.
The factory shipping/towing eyes just unbolt but you will need to drop the fuel tank to remove the original bolts that retain them.
First fit a threaded insert into one side of the JAT ring so you don't have a nut or bolt head protruding as it would foul the fuel tank.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

You also will need to make a spacer for the outside of the chassis.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

When I re installed the fuel tank I also fitted solid rubber pads either side of the fuel tank between the tank and the chassis rails as a precaution to stop the tank from moving from side to side and hitting the JAT ring as they are very close.

Click image to enlarge

On the pictures of the military defenders fitted with rear JAT rings that I have seen,it appears they re use the original factory shipping/towing eyes by swing them around and use them as a spacer for the JAT ring.
I decided to make up some spacers as these shipping/towing eyes are 1.5mm too thin and you will crush the JAT ring when you tighten them up.

These are not fitted as recovery points but are just for lashing down as per the original factory shipping/towing eyes.
Post #693660 16th Mar 2018 12:57am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Def90 wrote:

First fit a threaded insert into one side of the JATE ring so you don't have a nut or bolt head protruding as it would foul the fuel tank.

Did you bore out the hole in the JATE ring to fit that insert?

I wonder how much the strength of the JATE ring has been compromised by the 50% or so reduction in material thickness around the most highly stressed part of the assembly, probably by around 50%.

I would be very uneasy about doing that.
Post #693722 16th Mar 2018 10:32am
Def90

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Hi blackwolf

Yes the retaining bolt hole was bored out to fit the reinforced threaded inserts and I don't disagree with you that it will in some way compromise the integral strength of the JATE ring.

But as I don't intend to use them for heli lifts or as recover points, I'm sure they have retained enough structural integrity for my use as just for lashing down as per the original factory shipping/towing eyes.

I also have them to the front but you don't need the threaded inserts to fit these.

Click image to enlarge
Post #693906 16th Mar 2018 11:27pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Def90 wrote:
On the pictures of the military defenders fitted with rear JAT rings that I have seen,it appears they re use the original factory shipping/towing eyes by swing them around and use them as a spacer for the JAT ring.

Have you seen them fitted to the rear of 90s or just 110s?

Do you know how they get around the issues you have had with space to fit?
Post #693931 17th Mar 2018 7:18am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I don't think the tank clearance issue exists on MOD 90's as they all pre-date the rear mounted tank. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #693967 17th Mar 2018 10:17am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
am i missing something here? to two a car on the street its needed for and you have a std tow ball on the back?

either as already suggested fit a jaw and pin with towball combined or use a soft shackle over the tow ball. both will work. the former being better secure solution. the latter wont come off is tension is maintained.

far better than using the Jate ring rear chassis setup.

failing either of them fit a loop to the rear of the cross member with spreader plate on the inside. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #693972 17th Mar 2018 10:39am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Have seen a strap slide off towball when the strap was going 'uphill' from the towball.

Solution is to use a bungee strap wrapped around strap eye and tow ball. Worked well

Brendan
Post #694008 17th Mar 2018 12:19pm
KU310R

Malta 
jst wrote:
am i missing something here? to two a car on the street its needed for and you have a std tow ball on the back?

either as already suggested fit a jaw and pin with towball combined or use a soft shackle over the tow ball. both will work. the former being better secure solution. the latter wont come off is tension is maintained.

far better than using the Jate ring rear chassis setup.

failing either of them fit a loop to the rear of the cross member with spreader plate on the inside.

I have just onwned my defender for less than a year so I am still trying to learn new stuff as I am not a mechanic myself. I was looking for an alternative way to mayber tow someone in the street. I have read and saw several videos stating that you should never use the tow ball for recovery purposes since it is made to withstand downward force not a pulling force from the rear and it might break off and cause serious damage.

From the help received from the posts above I have determined that the best solution might be to change the tow ball to a dixon-bate one.
Post #694082 17th Mar 2018 5:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>