↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Have I done the right thing?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Definitely did the right thing. Taking away his ability to drive may affect his quality of life, but letting him carry on driving the wrong way down roads may remove his life full stop....
Post #692583 11th Mar 2018 11:01am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Really surprised that the doctor diagnosing the condition of the elderly gentleman was not under an obligation to both inform the gentleman that he should not drive & also the licensing authorities.

What was his daughter thinking about? If I'm uncharitable, it may have been putting her inconvenience above the safety of others...

Make sure you have a good look and feel with your finger tips for any rippling of the front chassis legs.
Post #692590 11th Mar 2018 11:45am
ozy013

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
Yeah not sure what the daughter was thinking. I was wondering why she would mention about his diagnosis at all.
Talking to my wife and my Mum last night, they both said that maybe the family had tried to stop him driving, but to no avail. So the daughter told me, in the hope that I would report it to the police, and then his license would be suspended.

I'm also not aware if the doctor diagnosing him is under any obligation to inform the relevant authorities, they should be.

I spent an hour or so yesterday, checking the chassis for any sign of stress, I even had the tape measure out, which probably isn't much use when you take into account Landrovers build tolerances. There's no sign of any rippling, damaged welds, or fittings. The ARB bar is bent underneath on the passenger side, but theres no sign of cracks or fatigue in any of the welds on the bar. The gap where the bar attaches to the end of the chassis legs is the same both sides. Hopefully they can repair the bar; ie bend the underneath back, but it's a very solid well made bit of steel...will have to wait and see.

The more I run the accident over and over in my head, the more I believe that I had almost managed to stop before we collided. As the car in front of me swerved out of the way, the Toyota just kept driving staight on, as if nothing was wrong and they were in the right. I braked and yet he just drove straight into me, making no attempt to stop.......... Censored scarry !

Just wondering what will happen if the elderly gentlemans insurance company finds out about his condition? Probably it will void his insurance, especially if he's failed to disclose it too them.

I was going to service the Defender on Saturday, but my mind was elsewhere......so I've put it off till today. Here in Victoria, its Labour Day, so a nice long public holiday weekend.
Post #692677 11th Mar 2018 9:57pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
The only wrong thing you've done is telling the daughter you wouldn't report the issue,..to protect your interests, and you of course being the innocent party, you should've reported it immediately.
Pickles.
Post #692719 11th Mar 2018 11:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12