↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Have I done the right thing?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ozy013

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
Have I done the right thing?
Yesterday I had my first accident in over 30 years of proffesional driving.......I have driven trucks nearly all my working life.

I was making a left hand turn onto a duel carriageway, there was a Ford Falcon ute in front of me doing the same thing. As I made the turn I was checking to my right, just to make sure no cars were coming through the intersection, I looked up and saw the Ute swerve to the right, and end up on the centre median strip after almost collecting a lamp post. It was then I saw a Toyota driving straight at me on the wrong side of the dual carriageway.

I swerved right and hit the brakes, yet the car kept coming, not once did he try to stop, we collided at about 40kmph, (I was travelling 20kmph, and I guess the Toyota was doing the same).

The most scary thing was, that the elderly gentleman driving looked at me like I was in the wrong.
I yelled at him that it was "my side of the road", it took him a good 5 seconds before he looked around at the traffic passing us, and the traffic at the lights on the other side, before it dawned on him.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The Toyota definatley came off second best, my ARB bar took most of the impact on the passenger side, as I had turned to the right to try to avoid the collision. My front quarter panel is dented, just in front of the indicator. The bar is bent slightly underneath.

Now this is the question I have. When the daughter of the elderly gentleman turned up, both myself and the other car were only 5 mins from home, she said that he had just recentley been daignosed with a brain issue, and at this stage the doctors thought it might be the early onset of Alzheimers.
She asked that I not call the police as she was fearful that he may be charged. So we exchanged details, I cleaned up the debri and headed for home with my hazards still on, as I couldn't turn them off!

After the adrenaline wore off, and I calmed down, my wife pointed out that I should report it to the police, because what if he had done it on a freeway at 100kmph? I didnt want that on my conscience........and the more I think about it, he did seem really confused.

So this morning I reported it..... the police officer said that they would call him, and let him know that Vic Roads have been informed. Vic Roads are in charge of licensing over here, they would ask for a doctors review of his health, and if deemed unfit to drive his license would be suspended.

I know the daughter asked me not too report him, and I understand that without his license then he would lose his independence, which would probably affect his quality of life. But on the other hand, if he did do this again, and injured someone, then I would have to live with that.

So have I done the right thing? initially I felt sorry for him, his car is a wreck, his wife was pretty shaken, and he
was so ashamed.

On a lighter note, when informing my insurance company last night, they asked if my airbags had deployed...... Rolling with laughter I had to educate him in regards to defender technology.

My cars booked in next Friday for assesment. Initially when I got home, my hazards wouldn't turn off, and my central locking wouldn't work. I disconnected the battery, then reconected after a couple of minutes and all seems good.
Post #692390 10th Mar 2018 1:39pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I feel that you have done the right thing - 100% ... you could have saved a life .. imagine sitting watching the news and seeing a report of driver going the wrong way up a dual carriage way and causing a multiple pile up and thinking I could have prevented that ...
The medical report will prove if he is fit to drive and then its not your responsibility.

wel done and hope the wagon gets fixed. - and for educating the insurance company!

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #692392 10th Mar 2018 1:48pm
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
+1 You did the right thing. Thumbs Up

It's for the doctor to decide if he is fit to drive. Not you. a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #692395 10th Mar 2018 1:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
Exactly what Wyvern said, this accident was minor, if he has another one it could be more serious. Let the relevant people decide if he's fit to drive or not.
Post #692400 10th Mar 2018 1:59pm
ozy013

Thanks guys, I just wasn't sure, like you say it's not my place to judge if he's fit to drive.

Actually just looking at the photos again, and talking of airbags, it's suprising that his airbags didnt go off, we did hit pretty hard.
Post #692402 10th Mar 2018 2:00pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Absolutely the right thing to do, even if it only saves him from hurting himself next time.

Interested to find out what the effect of having such a substantial roo bar on the front has had on transfer of forces to the chassis? Probably not going to be easy to establish due to Defender tolerances until a few thousand Ks down the road & tyres are wearing unevenly?
Post #692403 10th Mar 2018 2:01pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
As the others have all said its the right thing to have done

Similar thing happened to my own grandparents. My Grandad was a driver all his working life, but finally admitted his eyesight was too poor to carry on, so handed in his licence. No biggy we all thought as my Nan still drove so wouldn't effect their independence too much.

A year or so down the line, they were involved in an accident having over taken a HGV on a dual carriageway. Turns out Nan didn't have sufficient mobility to turn and check her blind spot so was reliant on my Grandad (who by now was registered as partially sighted). The response of "No, carry on"was misheard/misinterpreted and she ended up side swiping the HGV.

Luckily no one was seriously hurt, but it raised a number of issues/concerns to the table for the family to help them with. Turns out Nan had early on set dementia, and it triggered a number of lifestyle changes that hopefully they can now see as improvements for them. #the biggest is probably moving out of their family home of 50 years to a retirement village, giving my Grandad a new lease of life as he can pop out without worrying about my Nan too much.

Hopefully the gentleman's family can use this to help benefit him in a similar way, and will also see the dangers to not only him, but to others around him by trying to preserve his "independence" 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #692417 10th Mar 2018 3:19pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Absolutely the right thing to do. I've had two separate instances of elderly drivers on the wrong side of the dual carriageway. Both doing the speed limit in 'my' outside lane. Both times I had to move lanes to avoid them. Both times they were found by the police to be suffering with alzheimer's.

I've also had an elderly lady fail to see me riding my bright red Ducati, on a roundabout, knock me off, then roll her automatic Honda jazz over my body and drag me down the road.

As you can probably see I'll be a little biased on the subject, but as people get older they should be scrupulously tested if they want to continue driving. I believe the only reason this isn't done is because the the political party who suggested it would loose half their voters. Rolling Eyes
Post #692456 10th Mar 2018 6:29pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I cannot add anything else only just to say your wife was right (aren't they always?) and I certainly would have reported him. If he does have a medical condition that impairs his driving then you may have saved a life or serious injury to someone else in the future. Thumbs Up Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #692460 10th Mar 2018 6:56pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Defo the right thing. It could have been much worse and next time even worse than that. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #692471 10th Mar 2018 7:47pm
nitram17

Re: Have I done the right thing?
I dont know how the system works down under......... it appears the crash was the other persons fault but sometimes in the cold light of day insurers may haggle the point...... its a harsh world out there and you need to cover yourself ....simply put if i an accident was not my fault i would want as many photos as possible and any adresses of willing witnesses as possible and ideally the police called out.......if it was my fault i would want to swap details and get out of there as quick as possible and let the insurers fight it out.

I hope you have witnesses and loads of photos because if you havent all you have is two damaged cars and a narrative of how it happened .............i know most people are honest but when it comes down to losing your right to drive stories and memories can be malleable.
Post #692478 10th Mar 2018 8:25pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Completely agree with all of the above. You did the right thing (expect to take photos at the scene and report immediately), no doubt.

Just imagine if you had been a kid on a bike! Shocked James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #692495 10th Mar 2018 9:38pm
ozy013

Thanks everyone for your positive replys, yes wive's are always right. That's what I tell mine anyway Whistle

I've got witnesses, in fact the guy in front that swerved, stopped to offer assistance. Plus two people on the other side of the road also pulled over. They took photos which clearly shows the car on the wrong side, they've now sent those pics to my phone.

I was chatting to my Mum last night, and she reminded me of a time many moons ago, when I was about 9 and my brother was 5. My Mum was driving our Hillman Avenger, and we were in the back, we collided with a car that was on the wrong side of the road. Everyone was ok at the time, but my Mother had nightmares about losing us both in the accident, for ages afterwards. My brother also lost most of his hair due to shock.

One thing that has been mentioned elsewhere, is that if his insurance company gets a whiff of his condition then they may not wish to pay........this could get interesting I suppose
Post #692535 10th Mar 2018 10:38pm
Gilloverland

United Kingdom 
The hazards and central locking issue might be the inertia switch on the bulkhead...
Post #692538 10th Mar 2018 10:52pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
+1, You've done the right thing.

Not sure what exactly is going through his daughter's mind though, a sad situation for them, but to burden you like that, after having been hit by him... Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #692547 10th Mar 2018 11:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>