Home > My Defender > An Anoraks Tdi Defender 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 22 of 24 <123 ... 21 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Procta wrote:
how is the repair holding up on the heat shield? my dads asking as he has his off and I think he may look at repairing it.

As a quick update to this, as I had the bonnet up today I had a check of my heat shield repair:

Click image to enlarge

It's now covered about 500 miles, including a couple of long-ish motorway runs, and it looks exactly the same as when new, which is nice Smile

spot on! can you PM me the stuff you used? My dad has his heat shield off at the moment Smile Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #665489 19th Nov 2017 2:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hi Procta,

The heats shield stuff came from eBay. There are lots of sellers of essentially the same material but here's one as an example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adhesive-E...2548.l4275 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #665545 19th Nov 2017 5:25pm
LandRoverAnorak

A quick ten minute job today (too cold for anything more!) was to fit a pair of trim covers to the front door check straps:

Click image to enlarge

I'm not sure if these were fitted to 200tdi-era models but mine didn't have any. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #665547 19th Nov 2017 5:30pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
LRA, those covers are known for breaking sadly due to how thin the plastic is. I had to buy both sides, one for mine and one for my dads. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #665552 19th Nov 2017 5:41pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yesterday, I installed the new rotating vent outlets to the lower dash that Grafty has been 3D printing. I haven't used them in anger yet but they do make a surprising difference to the volume of air that's put out. They're also very easy to use so I have high hopes!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #678412 14th Jan 2018 6:04pm
LandRoverAnorak

As today was dry and marginally less cold than it has been, I thought I'd tackle some wiring jobs. Back in April last year, I'd discovered a rats nest of spliced, taped and damaged wiring in the centre part of the dash:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

At the time, I'd merely taped up the damaged bits to make it safe but today was the day to make a proper repair. This included heat shrinking a couple of wires that had damaged insulation, cutting out some that was too damaged to repair and soldering in new, removing various crimped on extensions and then labelling for future reference.

Click image to enlarge

I also made new connections to the rear wash/wipe switch:

Click image to enlarge

The spare connector next to the 12v socket is for the illumination but the bulb has blown and I've taken it out.

Now that the wash/wipe switch is properly connected again, I can sort out the wiring in the rear door.

The other small job that I managed to sort out was to finally connect up the volt meter that I'd installed in the dash well over a year ago Rolling Eyes

I managed to find a convenient spare bullet connector ignition live behind the dash so just made up a short link wire to the spade terminal on the back of the gauge (the green wire):

Click image to enlarge

And everything works! First with just the ignition on:

Click image to enlarge

And with the engine running:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #678413 14th Jan 2018 6:04pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
looking good! the vents are great aren't they! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #678432 14th Jan 2018 7:05pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, they're great Smile Darren

Post #678492 14th Jan 2018 8:52pm
LandRoverAnorak

Finally, finally made my 90 roadworthy again, having been off the road for two weeks following failure of the headlight switch!

A fortnight ago on Friday evening whilst taking my kids to scouts, the headlights went off. They could be coaxed back to life by pulling the stalk forward slightly, so obviously a switch problem. Investigated in daylight the following day and the switch just disintegrated as I took it apart Rolling Eyes Clearly no quick fix so a replacement was duly ordered - a Lucas one this time as the previous one had only lasted about 18 months/6000 miles.

The new Lucas switch arrived the following Thursday but as soon as I unpacked it, it was obvious that it was broken. One of the brass contact blades was sticking out of the mechanism and it appeared that the rivet that it was attached to had sheared off:

Click image to enlarge

Packaged it up again and posted it straight back. Sent a message to the eBay seller saying I'd like a replacement rather than a refund. No response by Monday so ordered a another switch from elsewhere! Original seller eventually came back to me saying had been away and refund processed.

Second new switch arrived Thursday just gone and this time all was well. Made a start fitting it on Friday evening but ran out of time and light. Eventually completed it yesterday afternoon but it was far from straightforward. When I replaced the original switch with an aftermarket one last time, it was a straight swap. This time though, the metal bracket of the new Lucas switch is slightly different than the one it's replacing:

Click image to enlarge

The hole on the far right for the wiper switch don't line up, so the original Lucas wiper switch won't fit on the new Lucas bracket Rolling Eyes

At this point, I just wanted to get it back together so some minor surgery was performed on the new bracket to make the old switch fit:

Click image to enlarge

So finally, I was able to put it all back together and put the steering wheel back on. I took it for a drive and filled it with fuel to celebrate. Darren

Post #685763 11th Feb 2018 1:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

Rear Door Wiring
Had a successful day yesterday as I finally managed to connect up the wiring to my rear door. This isn't as straightforward as you might imagine as the switching arrangement for the wiper in post 02' doors is completely different to earlier vehicles. In the original set up, the dash switch connected power to the motor, which also had a constant live feed for the park function. In the later arrangement, the dash switch merely switches an earth and a relay mounted on the door itself switches power between the motor and the park switch. After a bit of head scratching though, I've managed to come up with a reasonably elegant solution, more of which later.

Firstly, I had to fit the loom to the door. There are various versions of this loom depending on whether the door has a brake light or central locking but I was lucky enough to find the right one for my door with the former but not the latter. This meant that all of the connectors lined up and all that was required were new cable tie mounts:

Click image to enlarge

The door loom has a large six-way plug on the end so it was necessary to enlarge the hole in the door frame to suit. The rubber sleeve is also larger to allow for this and so after some attention from a cone cutter and all was well:

Click image to enlarge

To make the wiper work with the original switch and wiring, I worked out that I could use them to drive a relay that, in turn, would make an earth connection to the motor. I obtained a matching six-way connector for the loom from PaulMc of this parish and then adapted the wiring from the existing wiper and heated screen connectors as follows:

Click image to enlarge

I also took a feed from the brake light circuit to drive the high level brake light on the door.

All of this electrickery happens in the rear RH light cluster. You can see the additional relay in this picture, which was secured away in the corner with some double-sided foam before the cover was put back on.

Click image to enlarge

The six way choc-bloc connector is for the switches and fuse box that're mounted on the cover itself, detailed HERE.

Much to my delight, it all worked first time! So, I now have a rear wiper that wipes, a high level brake light and, hopefully, a rear heated screen but it's difficult to test that one without any condensation.

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 25th Feb 2018 9:07am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #687685 19th Feb 2018 8:07pm
L110CDL

England 
Great result there LRA, bet you were well happy that it all worked first time Bow down 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #687704 19th Feb 2018 8:57pm
LandRoverAnorak

Chuffed Laughing Darren

Post #687707 19th Feb 2018 9:03pm
LandRoverAnorak

Woo hoo.

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #688372 23rd Feb 2018 9:06am
Procta

United Kingdom 
This is one job I have to re do, as my rear wiper system has died, so either the motors burned out or the switch is dead. So I am going to replace the wiper motor again. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #688456 23rd Feb 2018 4:04pm
LandRoverAnorak

Had a day of Land Rover fettling today. First job was to change the oil in the front axle (I did the rear a few months ago). The fill and drain plugs didn't look like they'd been out in quite a while and took some cleaning just to get the 1/2" drive into them. Got there in the end though, and fortunately the oil that came out wasn't too bad. I thoroughly cleaned the filler plug before refitting but the drain plug was replaced with a new magnetic version:

Click image to enlarge

Next up was replacing all of the wheel nuts. The original wheel nuts were quite battered and covered in quite a lot of pink paint and so I'd already replaced those on two wheels. However, those replacement nuts had gone rusty in no time and looked a right mess. I've therefore bought what I hope are some better quality ones and replaced them all. I even used my new torque wrench!

Click image to enlarge

I know that the wheels need cleaning but with temperatures not much above freezing that wasn't happening today.

Third job was to fit some trims to the small rear windows. I've had these and new trim clips in the garage for ages and just not gotten around to it until now Rolling Eyes They're slightly battered and the wrong colour (I really wanted grey ones) but they're so hard to find that beggars can't be choosers:

Click image to enlarge

I really must find some time to make the side trims.

Final job was fitting new J bolts to the battery clamp as one of the existing had been cut down and was barely long enough. No pictures but it's not that exciting, to be honest.

All told, a very satisfying few hours, and all ready for a trip over to Kent tomorrow where I'm doing a BORDA winching course, which will be fun Mr. Green Darren

Post #688493 23rd Feb 2018 7:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 22 of 24 <123 ... 21 222324>