↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Films
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Maris Widgeon

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Apart from black and white Ealing classics , and a good epic war films, my favourites are-:

A Good year,
Straight story,
Worlds fastest Indian

Nick
Post #667029 26th Nov 2017 5:42pm
nitram17

What puddle? wrote:
Some good recommendations above. Thanks.

Terio: I haven't seen any of them!
Alwoodley72: Will check out Ozarks. Loved all the Bourne films - right up my street.
nitram 17: The entire BBC is corrupt. Let's leave aside the fact that everyone within the BBC knew about Jimmy Saville, but said nothing. And the corporation has got clean away with it. It's a Leftist organisation that really does lie to the public - I've caught them out myself. Their presenters have Left-leaning, anti-Brexit, anti-British agenda. Have you ever seen Tim Sebastion's terrible interview with Daniel Hannan? And no, I'm not a Conservative Their obsession with sport and climate change is both ill-informed, retarded, and absurdly unintelligent. Even Children In Need is a disgrace (yes, I have links if you want them). I could go on! Like you said, can of worms.

Lots of recommendations to check out. I do have a 15-minute rule - since I have wasted a good part of my life letting films go to the end, only to shake my head in disbelief that it ever got production money, like Carpool - you just have to see it to feel incredibly intelligent about yourself! If the film hasn't grabbed me by 15 minutes then that's it. Harsh, I know.

i dont see the world the way you do puddle!..the bbc is a very strange beast..on one hand its a state run orginisation formed by a tory government in the late 20.s to make sure the right message was passed on to the masses yet it is seen as a leftist leaning orginisation today and i think that stems from thec grammar school boom of the 1960s and the breakaway from the paternalistic and patronising rethien approach ....However if you look at the top jobs at the bbc and those who make the programmes there is still a private school oxford camb educated bias and even the actors now are rarely from working class backgrounds anymore..so i cannot agree with you thats the bbc is corrupt ,i think its a big orginisation that makes mistakes ..but it stilll makes some of hr best tv progreammes ever made!have you ever watched fox news ,..its an eye opener for bias on tv!
Post #667074 26th Nov 2017 7:26pm
nitram17

What puddle? wrote:
Some good recommendations above. Thanks.

Terio: I haven't seen any of them!
Alwoodley72: Will check out Ozarks. Loved all the Bourne films - right up my street.
nitram 17: The entire BBC is corrupt. Let's leave aside the fact that everyone within the BBC knew about Jimmy Saville, but said nothing. And the corporation has got clean away with it. It's a Leftist organisation that really does lie to the public - I've caught them out myself. Their presenters have Left-leaning, anti-Brexit, anti-British agenda. Have you ever seen Tim Sebastion's terrible interview with Daniel Hannan? And no, I'm not a Conservative Their obsession with sport and climate change is both ill-informed, retarded, and absurdly unintelligent. Even Children In Need is a disgrace (yes, I have links if you want them). I could go on! Like you said, can of worms.

Lots of recommendations to check out. I do have a 15-minute rule - since I have wasted a good part of my life letting films go to the end, only to shake my head in disbelief that it ever got production money, like Carpool - you just have to see it to feel incredibly intelligent about yourself! If the film hasn't grabbed me by 15 minutes then that's it. Harsh, I know.

Comedy is the hardest to agree on puddle ......i liked carpool!.....its like i love Tommy Cooper and i cannot stand Harry Hill..Others will be opposite to me and thats what makes the world go round ..its the idiots who say one is better than the other and look down on the others that don't agrree with their opinion ..its these fekkers that start wars!
Post #667079 26th Nov 2017 7:36pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
nitram17. Without saying too much, I know someone quite high up in the BBC news department. Where do you think I got my impression of the BBC from? It isn't from watching it, because I don't! I could say other stuff, but I won't. Just take it from me, it's riddled with bias, riddled with Liberal nutters, and management who are petrified of doing something un-PC. It's why they've just advertised jobs for 'Non-whites only'. Yes, really. http://www.w4mpjobs.org/JobDetails.aspx?jobid=63564 As I said, they even manage to overpay staff on Children In Need (compared to other charities).

Sorry, I didn't mean for this thread to get side-tracked, I was just responding.

Tommy Cooper? Superb. Still makes me laugh - it's that face. Read up on him a few years back, he was a drunk, but a great drunk. The chicken joke still makes me laugh. Comedy is very subjective. I don't like Harry Hill either, but then I like a REALLY diverse comedy spectrum, from Monty Python, to Lee Mack, to US sitcoms. The Jalal Bothers on YouTube has me laughing so much that it hurts my stomach, but Mrs Puddle says it's sick. I like traditional comedy like the British black & white films, but also Lee Evans. Now left.
Post #667104 26th Nov 2017 8:29pm
Slideywindows

England 
The fact that everyone on the right of British politics thinks the BBC is disgracefully biased, whilst those on the left seem to have few complaints about the BBC, means that the BBC is NOT biased.

Yes, of course. How silly of me to think otherwise.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

How about French films, for instance with Gerard Depardieu?
Post #667114 26th Nov 2017 9:24pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I surprise myself in that I actually like French films. I think they're very good at it. I've only seen two of his French films, and I can't remember the titles. I find him an odd character. As I said earlier, Tell No One is definitely worth watching. I came upon it after recommendation by Michael Caine! Now left.
Post #667121 26th Nov 2017 9:56pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
A few films that I like.
"Le Mans",..Steve McQueen, best motor racing film ever IMHO, and the recently released doco about the making of the film is excellent.
"Vanishing Point", the original 70s Barry Newman version.
"Senna", doco on the great man's life,...made me cry.
And if ya're looking to watch a series then I reckon "Sons Of Anarchy" would be hard to beat.
Pickles.
Post #667138 26th Nov 2017 10:36pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Brassed Off
Full Monty
Kes
Once
Kings Speech
Gladiator
Hobsons Choice
Forrest Gump
Enemy at the Gates
Saving Private Ryan
Shawshank Redemption
East is East
Post #667163 27th Nov 2017 12:08am
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
The Intouchables - has subtitled but one of my favourite feel good smiley films

2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #667415 27th Nov 2017 11:20pm
Chris90V8

England 1987 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Portofino Red
Book of Eli 🚜. ...... . .... . .. 🚗🚐🚛🚚🚚🚗🚙🚐
Post #667446 28th Nov 2017 7:17am
AJC

United Kingdom 
I'm not a TV person myself, all I watch is Films and the odd series.

The only thing I watch on Freevie/Terrestrial is Top Gear re runs and Ben Fogles Live in the wild.

Mrs watches coronation street but that's it.
Post #667460 28th Nov 2017 8:44am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The West Wing box set.

That should keep you going for weeks. I don't usually like American stuff like this, but Martin Sheen is, in my opinion, the best President America never had. Allison Janney as CJ is absolute class in the White House press conferences.

It has been said that it is (well was before Mr Trump) fairly realistic as to how the White House operates. The current Mrs Rashers did a marathon watching of The West Wing last winter ago and I found it surprisingly entertaining.
Post #667461 28th Nov 2017 9:13am
Matt-B

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Thumbs Up for Ozark and Mindhunter, also the 3 seasons of Narcos were brilliant
Post #667476 28th Nov 2017 10:14am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Arlington road is another great film. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #667482 28th Nov 2017 10:26am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Rashers wrote:
The West Wing box set.

That should keep you going for weeks. I don't usually like American stuff like this, but Martin Sheen is, in my opinion, the best President America never had. Allison Janney as CJ is absolute class in the White House press conferences.

Didn't Allison Janney say that Martin Sheen thought he really was the President?!

Films I didn't get to the end of:
Lord of Rings (20 minutes)
Harry Potter (10 minutes - there are some things you don't need to suffer if you don't have children)
Star Wars (just the new ones)
Mamma Mia (30 minutes. I wanted to stop after 5, but Mrs B gets a say too)
Post #667483 28th Nov 2017 10:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>