Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Ultragauge and CheckTemp install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
alastaid

United Kingdom 
Ultragauge and CheckTemp install
Hi,

As I recently had a knee op and was bound to crutches and couldn’t drive for six weeks I thought I would take on the Ultraguage and Checktemp mod. Firstly I have to say that I would never have taken this on had it not been for Marks excellent blog describing these mods, and he deserves all the credit, I thought I would just add in my experiences for anyone else who wants to try it.

http://defender90xs.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03...stall.html

Shopping list:

Checktemp – I bought mine off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Check-Temp-Time-...SwYaFWdV0e

Ultraguage – buy direct, do create a Fedex account and put your credit card details on, mine arrived in 3 days!

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Headers X 2 P/N HTMS-118-01-G-S

http://www.toby.co.uk/content/catalogue/pr...x-xx-x-xxx

Ribbon Headers X 2 P/N A32-40-CGB1-G

http://www.toby.co.uk/content/catalogue/pr...-xx-CGB1-G

Ribbon Cable (buy 1 meter)

http://uk.farnell.com/3m/3749-40/ribbon-ca...dp/1207759

Green Stick on Tint Film – Light Green

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-Sheet-Ritrama...ASSgRdh6-Q

Buttons – you can choose any you like, these were on the slow boat from China but work well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-12mm-Flush-Mo...SwSv1Xj6R8

Connectors

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-6-Way-Pin-2...SwzaJX6REh

OBD Cable splitter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16pin-OBD2-Male-...Sw8cNUUZ3b

Tools:
Glue gun
Drill and small drill bit
Dremmel
Junior hack saw blade

So basically follow Marks blog, I will add in bits where I went wrong or did something a bit different. Firstly take out the binnacle and get it on the bench, before you strip it apart, take a picture with the binnacle lying on its back directly above showing the exact position of the temp and fuel gauges at rest, and you can use this as a reference when putting the needles back on. To take the needles off, simply hold them from the centre and twist them confidently against the stop, whilst pulling. The stop for the Tacho and speedo is obviously anticlockwise, the temp is clockwise and fuel anticlockwise. When you get them off you can see they are just an interference fit.

To get the litho printed gauge dial sheet is held on by four little plastic clips that sit under the dial centres, the best way I found to get these off was to slide a pair of tweezers under the sheet around the clip, if they didn’t pop off straight away, just give them a little push with a screwdriver from the other side.

Click image to enlarge

When taking away material for the holes for the CheckTemp and Ultraguage, I found the best and most accurate was to put back on to the plastic dial cover and draw the aperture on the white plastic, then drill out a small enough hole to get the hack saw blade in and work your way round slowly.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is where I made my biggest mistake, I was trying to cut the smallest hole possible for the CheckTemp, and whilst trying it for size I ended up damaging the bottom, where there is a joining cable that you cant see between the LCD and the connector. So basically, make sure you don’t force the CheckTemp into the hole, it should go in freely before glueing. Make sure also that you dremmel off enough of the two clear light conductors below the CheckTemp so that when you put them in they still can wobble around a bit.

Before glueing the Ultragauge and CheckTemp in, I covered the Ultragauge with three layers of the green tint film, and the CheckTemp with one layer to try and get the best colour match I could.

I very lightly glued in the Ultragauge at first then took it out to the car to test for fit.

Click image to enlarge

When splitting the CheckTemp apart and building the ribbon cable, take care taking it out of the plastic housing, and make sure you split the screen from the board squarely so you don’t bend the pins. To make the ribbon cable, if you haven’t done it before, just make sure you keep the ribbon headers in the same orientation, ie pin 1 goes to pin 1, put the cable in the connector, put them in a vice, triple check the cable is in straight, and then squeeze with the vice. There is a special tool for this, but if you go easy with a vice it is fine, just look at the connector carefully after pressing to make sure the cable is bedded down all the way along. You can make one end easily, but then have to feed this through the hole you have made, and then put the other end on.

The reason you need two headers are that the ones you buy are 18 pin, and the CheckTemp is a 19 pin connection, however 3 of the 19 pins at one end are the two switches and a common earth, so you need to cut carefully one of the headers from 18 pins to 16, and then cut the other header to 3 pins to use as the extender for the switches.
When it comes to cutting the litho gauge dial sheet, I used a very sharp craft knife and very carefully etched it through many times, I found this bit one of the hardest bits to do as the litho has a thin sheet of metal in it, so it takes a lot of work to get through.

I tested my CheckTemp before putting it back in the car, by just connecting the red and purple wire to positive and black to negative, also means you can check for fit.

Click image to enlarge

You can see the holes I drilled to provide a route for both the Ultraguage cable and the CheckTemp ribbon cable.

Click image to enlarge

Starting to come together

Click image to enlarge

and now with the ribbon cable installed.

Click image to enlarge

When re-assembling, the best way I found to put the needles back on was to just carefully pop them onto their spindles a small way, then keep turning it against its stop until it is in the right position, you can check from the picture you took at the beginning, then move the dial off the stop a bit and press it down. If you get it wrong, simply take it off and try again, it took me about six or seven goes till I was happy with the temp gauge.
I used the OBD cable splitter, and another OBD Cable extension which I re-routed, so you can still plug in a garage OBD reader if needed.

The finished job, I have configured one of my Ultraguage pages which shows the following:

Current MPH Speed : MPH Journey avg
Engine Temp deg C : Journey time
Journey Trip miles : Car Voltage

My final comments are that this did take a really long time, probably as I took a measure 5 times, cut once approach, but I am really pleased with the results, if you plan to do it, make sure you set aside a good chunk of time to get it done.

Click image to enlarge
Post #589585 2nd Jan 2017 9:14pm
OldhamLandy

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi,

Many thanks for taking the time to document the process you undertook along with the links for the various items required to complete the install, it's very informative and thorough. I have just recently installed an Ultragauge and this has tempted me to have a crack at doing it properly. Thanks for sharing - looks great Thumbs Up

Regards
Daniel 2016 Defender 90xs SW - Santorini Black with Silver Pack
2014 Defender 90xs SW - Corris Grey with Santorini Black Roof
Post #589604 2nd Jan 2017 9:50pm
Theater

Italy 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
Great Job !!!

Thumbs Up Marco

Defender 110 "SW" SE Galway Green MY 2009
Ex Defender 90 "SW" S Santorini Black MY 2010
Post #589638 3rd Jan 2017 12:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Nice job, much better than bolt on 😊
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #589653 3rd Jan 2017 8:31am
sherifsalem

Portugal 2005 Defender 90 Td5 ST Java Black
Very neatly done congrats..... Happy Travel
www.thegippo.wordpress.com
Post #589694 3rd Jan 2017 11:55am
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Thanks and congratulations. An excellent job. Bow down Bow down Looks great.
I haven´t been brave enough to do this install, but your post brings me a step closer to doing so. 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #589697 3rd Jan 2017 12:12pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Excellent job Alastaid
Looks great! Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #589709 3rd Jan 2017 12:51pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Just out of interest what glue did you use?
When I did mine, I used a hot melt glue gun but found out a when on a long drive with heater on the glue started to soften and the gauge started to slip down!
It's surprising how hot the cluster can get on a good run.

I ended up re fixing it using Araldite which is not so sensitive to heat.
I think I may tackle the check temp next Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #589713 3rd Jan 2017 1:17pm
alastaid

United Kingdom 
Ian,

Just used hot melt glue, so I maybe have to look forward to my gauges slipping down then! Not been on a long enough journey yet to give them a proper test. Saying that, the gauges were pretty well wedged in against the backing plate so I would think thy could move far.

Rgds

Alastair
Post #589715 3rd Jan 2017 1:21pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Annoyingly mine managed to drop about 2mm which was enough to be able to see the edge of the white backlight.
I'm off to order a check temp gauge now.... Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #589717 3rd Jan 2017 1:27pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Thank you alastaid – incredibly useful, bookmarked for use when I install mine shortly! My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #661431 2nd Nov 2017 2:07pm
meeerrrk

Question for those who have done the conversion.

With the obd port being constantly powered, does the ultra gauge stay on even when ignition goes off - or is it smart and senses ignition via can?

Getting there! ...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #662536 7th Nov 2017 10:32pm
alastaid

United Kingdom 
By default the Ultraguage autosenses the voltage and turns on and off based on that, you can change this if you want, but for the installation you are doing, its best left, so when you start the car, the Ultragauge comes on automatically after a few seconds, and when you turn off the engine, again the Ultragauge turns itself off automatically when the voltage drops below 13v, which is usually a few seconds after then engine has stopped.
Post #662653 8th Nov 2017 2:40pm
meeerrrk

fantastic, thank you sir! Bow down My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #662654 8th Nov 2017 2:46pm
2010Blackdefender90

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Awesome mod. A few questions...

Could you set the ultra gauge to the screen settings you’d like and then install it without the buttons?

What gauge wire did you use for the buttons?

I’ve sourced a donor disco3 instrument panel and have started the dismantling and cutting.. easy does it seems to be the way to go...

Thanks

Mark
Post #680777 22nd Jan 2018 5:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>