↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Lighting Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BLACK LAB

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Lighting Questions
I currently have standard lights allround my 90 TD5 . I have 2 Hella Rallye spotlights on the front A bar .

I have thought about upgrading my headlamps to Wipac crystals and Osram nightbreaker bulbs wired through a relay . I think I already have the relay wiring at present all there anyway .

I have also thought about going the whole LED all round route but then I think that would make the Hella Rallye spotlights look a bit daft and mis matched on the front as they are not LED ( Your thoughts ) .

This leads me on to the rear of the vehicle - I toyed with the idea of wiring up two high level round spot lights like you see for sale - 120mm diameter 27W LED . I have a spare switch so that would be easy to wire them up. I was even wondering if you can wire them up to come on with the pathetic standard reverse light ?

I am a bit apprehensive about drilling holes up at high level to mount these wee spot lights although I would do it all properly and no water ingress would occur cos I would buy all the right gear . Just wondering if these spot lights at either side at high level would cheapen the back of the vehicle ?They would be handy though especially when I am getting in and out of my waders or working with the dogs at the rear of the vehicle ?

It seems a shame to drill holes in a perfectly good panel but it also seems a waste of money to go the other way and buy a roof rack just so you can fit lights on it .........Much to think about .....You thoughts guys please . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
2018 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE DYNAMIC
Post #652463 24th Sep 2017 7:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Rear work lights in one form or another are a very common modification and I'm sure that a quick search will bring up lots of alternatives to give you some ideas.

It's also absolutely possible to wire them up in such a way that they come on with the reverse lights. I've done exactly that on my current 90, with the added refinement that the work light also only comes on if the side lights are on, i.e. the work light only comes on at night.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There's more details of this set up here: http://www.defender2.net/forum/post610226.html#610226 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 25th Sep 2017 9:05pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #652495 24th Sep 2017 9:32pm
BLACK LAB

I see what you mean pal - That is fairly straight forward and nice thought . I suppose it would be maybe daft if these lights at high level came on through the day time in reverse gear .

I think I may just wire them so that they come on at night if I want via a switch and never mind having them coming on every time I engage reverse gear .

Did you not have any reservations about drilling holes into the rear of your car at high level to mount that light ? 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #652754 25th Sep 2017 8:37pm
LandRoverAnorak

Not really, although mine is 25+ years old and far from pristine. Having said that though, I've never really worried about drilling holes for genuinely useful modifications. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #652765 25th Sep 2017 9:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I could be wrong but I don't think work lights wired to come on with reverse is legal.
And must be switched instead.

You could, though this aside have an ON/OFF/ON switch.

That would allow you, permanent on, off, on with reverse. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #652769 25th Sep 2017 9:10pm
LandRoverAnorak

If anything, I suspect that they're only legal if wired to the reverse lights. Independently switched ones, particularly from the drivers seat, provide the means to show a white light to the rear when not reversing, which is illegal. Anyway, my set-up includes both an 'off' position and can only be independently switched if standing at the rear door, so I'm quite comfortable with it. Darren

Post #652776 25th Sep 2017 9:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'd imagine that is right, I'm not exactly sure on what it was about but knew it wasn't as simple as just binging a work light up and that's it.
They would be very useful if you had a trailer. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #652778 25th Sep 2017 9:25pm
BLACK LAB

See when folk say things are illegal on here is it "proper illegal like being a drug dealer or bank robber "?

or is it just a......

" now now - I dont think thats wise young man- as in theory you could get incur a light ticking off if you ever get caught and the chances of you getting caught are nil at best kind of illegal " ?

For example if I decided to wire my lights straight to a switch that only I would control - me being quite a sane and responsible guy would never dream of switching rear facing floodlights on to blind some poor driver behind me .
So taking that into consideration.... who is actually going to check your car to see exactly what that little switch on the dash is for ?

Surely at MOT time you could just remove the fuse that powered the lights for that day ?

I read somewhere on here that it was illegal to replace your standard bulbs with LED's inside your standard lenses ?

Is this another case of proper illegal or just a wee bit illegal ?

Much the same as never telling your insurance if your engine was remapped ? Who would ever know ?

I know folk dont like to break the law as such but there's breaking it properly and then there is some slight infringements like doing 75/80mph on a motorway ......... 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #652790 25th Sep 2017 9:56pm
LandRoverAnorak

With this sort of thing, I think it's fair to say that it's technically illegal. By that I mean whilst something contravenes the appropriate legislation, you're only likely to get caught if doing something stupid and the 'thing' is a contributing factor. So yes, things like LED bulbs in regular holders are illegal as they don't conform to the E mark standard, but only a problem in practice if their performance is significantly poorer than the standard set up. Tow bars are another good example: whether they are legal or not is determined by the tax classification of the vehicle rather than any physical consideration.

That being said, don't fall into the trap that if it's passed an MOT then it must be OK. MOT's check for a very specific set of things and are not intended to be a comprehensive check that the whole vehicle complies with the Construction & Use Regulations. Darren

Post #652797 25th Sep 2017 10:19pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Reversing lights must either come on automatically or have a manual switch with a tell-tale. AFAIK you cannot have more than 2 reversing lights and there is a limit of 21W or equivalent per light. You cannot legally have a worklight which is wired into the reversing light circuit.

Worklights can only legally be used in conjunction with a flashing beacon, and beacons can only be fitted to certain qualifying vehicles.

So, strictly speaking all of this is a big no-no but I have never heard of anyone being done for it. I have four 6-led light units (one each side on the rack and two at the rear) wired to a manual switch with a warning light on the dash, and regularly use them as reversing lights (especially with a trailer) and as general scene lights, and have never had any hassle. Be sensible and I doubt you'll have any trouble.
Post #652798 25th Sep 2017 10:21pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Things are either legal or illegal.

Now ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

Under the Road Traffic Act it is an offence to supply, fit or use a defective item on a vehicle on the public highway.

Many items on a vehicle have to be approved and carry an approval mark.

Obligatory vehicle lights have by law to carry an approval mark. I refer you to the Vehicle Lighting Regulations and UN ECE regulation 48 which explains this in detail.

Unauthorised modifications invalidate the original approval.

From a government site I quote

[quote]

Undeclared illegal modifications (like removing a diesel particulate filter) could also invalidate a vehicle’s insurance,

[quote]

Taken from HERE

Have a look at the small print on the back off LEDs sold by Halfords. For OFFROAD USE ONLY

Click image to enlarge

Look at Ring Automotive and they state for offroad use only

Quote:

LEDs are not E marked and are for off road use only

Have a look at your motor insurance policy and the chances are very, very high it will state something like it is your responsibility to keep your vehicle roadworthy/road legal/MOT etc

Then have a look at the reasons why your motor insurance can void your motor insurance policy.

May I suggest you phone up your insurance company and ask them will they allow you to fit ILLEGAL modifications to your vehicle and will they allow your motor insurance cover to continue?

Just because people get away with breaking the law does not make things legal.

How many people exceed the 30mph peed limit and do not get caught every time.

Yes I have heard of someone having an accident, illegal headlights, insurance assessor noticed voided the insurance and driver got done for driving without insurance!

Brendan
Post #652800 25th Sep 2017 10:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

Having just had a quick scan of the Lighting Regs, you're essentially correct. The wattage limit is 24w and only applies to pre-April '86 vehicles. After that, reverse lights must have an approved mark, which I take to mean an E mark. Everything else is as you describe though, all of which does preclude wiring a work light to the reversing light circuit.

Oh well, I shan't be loosing any sleep over it. Darren

Post #652802 25th Sep 2017 10:34pm
BLACK LAB

These look the business . Nice and slim and neat . wee bit pricy though ... Maybe get one for each side up top or see if one could fit in the middle ?

http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/products/a...worklight/ 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #652832 26th Sep 2017 7:07am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
That would be a labxrqft S17 scenelite black lab. Can be had for less than £170 I assure you! I have a couple of the S18's, which are cheaper again.

https://www.thexmod.com/labcraft.asp
Post #652863 26th Sep 2017 9:35am
BLACK LAB

Thanks very much for that - I just ordered two of the 17's .

Its actually near some of the part of the River Tweed that I fish in November - I may call in next time I'm over there .

Thats a terrible mark up that other lot are trying to do with the same lights . Confused 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #652873 26th Sep 2017 10:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>