↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rear work light wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
baldylocks

1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Merlin wrote:
I fitted mine to the left hand side (viewed from the rear), as that way you don't get a shadow when the back door is open. The wires go throught the panel and down to the wires behind the speaker. You can see it, or not, in the picture below. The aerial has picked up some vegitation and that's where the light is:

[url]
Click image to enlarge

That's the wife opening a gate on a greenlane, bless her. No need for a shower today then.

The light also comes on when reverse is selected. I'll send a wiring diagram if you are interested.

Merlin[/url]

Merlin, that's what I'm wanting to do when I put one in - switch from the dash and also for it to switch on with the reverse light. I'm thinking if I use a three position swicth in the dash position 1 would be light off (at all times) pos 2 would be switched with reverse light and pos 3 to switch on demand. Could I adapt your wiring diagram to do this?

Gerry
Post #64376 20th Mar 2011 12:20am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Be aware that it is illegal for it to switch on when reverse is selected. It is also in fact illegal to use a worklight light this on a public highway unless you are also using one or more amber beacons or strobes.
Post #64503 21st Mar 2011 11:29am
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Hi Baldylocks, I'll send you a rough diagram if you let me have your e-mail address. Merlin
Post #64711 22nd Mar 2011 3:49pm
baldylocks

Merlin wrote:
Hi Baldylocks, I'll send you a rough diagram if you let me have your e-mail address. Merlin

Cheers Merlin, I've PM'd it to you.

Many thanks, Gerry
Post #64906 24th Mar 2011 12:50am
baldylocks

blackwolf wrote:
Be aware that it is illegal for it to switch on when reverse is selected.

Thanks, that's why I want to be able to switch it as I do from the dash, so it will be in the off position on the road and either switched on manually or with reverse when off road.

blackwolf wrote:
It is also in fact illegal to use a worklight light this on a public highway unless you are also using one or more amber beacons or strobes.

I've never come across that one I'm afraid, it is illegal to show a white light to the rear, the exemption being for reversing lights - do the beacons also give an exemption, I'm presuming this is for vehicles involved in highway mainteance?
Post #64909 24th Mar 2011 1:00am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The restriction which required a beacon to be used with a worklight was (IIRC) in the Road Vehicles Lighting Regultaions 1984, but a quick online search shows that it is not a requirement under the RVLR 1989 which revoked the 1984 and 1987 regulations. It would appear therefore that this is no longer a requirements and I gave bum advice! My apologies.

The 1989 regulations only prohibit the use of a worklight in the the following manners:-

(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of any vehicle.

(b)Used so as to be lit except for the purpose of illuminating a working area, accident, breakdown or works in the vicinity of the vehicle.

So it would still be illegal for them to come on automatically with the reversing lights, but they can now be used without a beacon.

Full text of the 1989 regs is available here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/made
Post #64937 24th Mar 2011 10:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12