↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Gear and transfer box fill points
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Milmur64

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Hello,
I'm new to Defenders and have a Oct 2015 Puma 2.2 with DPF XS with 13k on the clock. Having read all the knowledgeable posts I decided to change the gear box oil and transfer box.
I have managed to identify the outlet plugs, but am struggling to identify the inlet plugs - can someone help me please?
For information I have researched via You Tube and a chap gave a demonstration on a 2.4 TDI, but I don't know if the gear and transfer box layout are the same?
Any help will bee much appreciated.
Regards
Jonathan
Post #643018 10th Aug 2017 8:13pm
OleDave

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Hi Milmur 64, I just had all my oils changed this week in my 2.4 Puma, I cannot be 100% sure if the 2.2 is any different to the 2.4 but I would think its the same set up unless somebody can advise different, the top up on the transfer box is a little difficult to see as its tucked up behind the brake drum, difficult to undo but not impossible, the gearbox top is on the nearside of the box and up quite high, again not easy to spot or get at, if you have your service manual it might show you positions of both, the oil spec I imagine is the same as mine, ATF for the gearbox and EP 90 for the transfer box, but again maybe you need to check your handbook

During the recent service I had the front and rear diff oils changed, the rear was clean but the front had gone a grey colour for some reason, the only reason I could think of the change in colour is somehow its got contaminated by the one shot grease I have in the swivel joints?

Hope this helps you

Regards

Dave
Post #643123 11th Aug 2017 8:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Milmur64

Thanks Dave - I appreciate you taking the trouble to reply.
I wondered if the manufacturer of the box had installed plugs on both the near and off side. I was looking underneath and came across an 8mm hexagonal plug (photo attached) which was more accessible, but not even my LR dealer could not tell me if this was an alternative filler plug to the near side. You can see my hexagonal key protruding from it.

Click image to enlarge
Post #643130 11th Aug 2017 9:13am
OleDave

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Hi Milmur64, be careful as there are some plugs similar on mine which although look like drain plugs are not !!! I would suggest you wait for some more replies as I am sure some member on this wonderful site will tell you exactly what you have pictured and if its not a drain why its there, what you do not want is to remove it and find a spring drops out or if its holding something inside the box it drops off internally, the box would then need a stripdown to re-connect it. I have never had one of these boxs in pieces although I have rebuilt many other type's so I just cannot advise you sadly.

On some of the old gearboxes years ago they did have plugs all over the place which originally were the riser's when the castings were made, but sadly I cannot confirm to you that what your looking at on yours, so please wait for other members, no doubt there is somebody in the club who has had one of these boxes in bits and will know them inside out.

Let me know how you get on Eh!

Regards

Dave
Post #643160 11th Aug 2017 12:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Milmur64

Thanks Dave - good advice !
What I should have said is I believe the gear box to be an MT82 6 speed and from my reasearch on the internet it is also used in the Ford Mustang and photographs suggest the drain plug is on the drivers side in the location where I had my key. As my local dealership was poor in helping me I have contacted LR technical direct.
I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again,
Jonathan
Post #643212 11th Aug 2017 5:19pm
Falcon

New Zealand 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Indus Silver
There's a sticky post at the top of this forum, hopefully should have the answers you need.
Post #645634 22nd Aug 2017 11:12am
Milmur64

Many thanks for responding regards Jonathan
Post #645708 22nd Aug 2017 7:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1