↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Mis-addressed letters
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Mis-addressed letters
A few months back we started getting letters for a lady that does not and has not ever lived at our address.

Two different companies (both fashion houses) addressing post to our address but the same person
Dear Mrs xxxxxx you owe use £800 please make a payment. etc.

Got two or three of company 1 and about the same off company 2, so spoke to both and returned letters. Still more turned up. So this time wrote to both companies and included copies of both invoices for each company and sent them all back.
Company 1 got the message and stopped sending letters.

Company 2 haven't quite got the message yet. When I spoke to them, they said oh we need to send out xx number before the address is classed as not correct.
Not sure how many letters this is but I am on around 7 so far.

The last letter, I wrote saying, not known at this address, never lived here. Any more letters to this address will be charged £25 return handling fee, and by sending more you agree to this.

.........and yesterday, we got one!

Not sure what the chances are of getting £25 from them!

Not parcels have ever arrived. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #632780 22nd Jun 2017 8:22am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As frustrating as this is, and I feel your pain after having credit companies chasing the previous occupant at my address and even a vehicle repossession company turning up once, you shouldn't be opening letters addressed to somebody else be it at your address or not. Just put a line through the address and return to sender.

Sender will (eventually) get the message. They are correct in that they have to make reasonable attempt to contact the recipient at the provided address before pursuing other means of contact (or give up)

Will be interested to hear if you have any luck with the handling fee!!
Post #632792 22nd Jun 2017 9:14am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Yes, I can relate to this.

I am only the second person to have lived in my house. A few years back, I started receiving mail for persons who had never lived in this house. When the mail started looking 'financial', I decided to have a look (yes I know I shouldn't open letters not addressed to me but I was quite concerned). Credit card applications, personal loans, car insurance Shocked all from 'proper' banks and insurance companies. I tried calling some of them. None were very interested which did freak me out a bit by their lack of interest.

A few years back, I also started getting letters from TV licencing telling numerous persons who had never lived in my house that they had bought a TV but had not bought a licence. The address obviously had a TV licence because I had one. I phoned them up and again they were really unconcerned and just told me to ignore them.

In all fairness, I haven't received anything in the last couple of years.
Post #632794 22nd Jun 2017 9:17am
excossack

Thanks for the reply chaps. I will be interested to see if I get any money/vouchers as compo!

I opened the letters to get the correct number to call to try and get them stopped. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #632797 22nd Jun 2017 9:25am
hank

I wasn't being aggy, I too opened the letters after a while as the return address on them was credit related. Got to do what you've got to do!

Also equally frustrating is receiving previous occupants mail at all! Just inform your bank/phone provider/insurance provider etc. that you have moved and set up a short term mail forwarding service! It's not rocket science!
Post #632800 22nd Jun 2017 9:32am
excossack

No aggy taken. I will keep poking if I get any more letters. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #632802 22nd Jun 2017 9:39am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Check your credit rating quick! We had problems with someone insuring their car at our address. Then started getting letters about an accident it had been involved in. Insurance company involved just wasn't interested in the obvious fraud.
You can get the free credit check by taking a 3 month trial, just don't forget to stop it. You'll see if anyone has applied for anything at your address.
Post #632858 22nd Jun 2017 1:16pm
Lightningtweeds

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
I rip them up and if an agent calls or visits i set them right. It may affect your credit rating but i dont have any.
Post #632859 22nd Jun 2017 1:16pm
excossack

AMBxx wrote:
Check your credit rating quick! We had problems with someone insuring their car at our address. Then started getting letters about an accident it had been involved in. Insurance company involved just wasn't interested in the obvious fraud.
You can get the free credit check by taking a 3 month trial, just don't forget to stop it. You'll see if anyone has applied for anything at your address.

A company such as Clearscore? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #632864 22nd Jun 2017 1:31pm
hank

Experian
Post #632866 22nd Jun 2017 1:35pm
excossack

Is there a difference between then companies with regards to what they check/report on? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #632867 22nd Jun 2017 1:40pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
20 years ago, we moved into a council house, the people who lived in there before us, had done a bail. Said to the council there's your keys. That was it, my mum had mail and court letters addressed to the previous owner. Got to the point where the police came to the door, and asked for him, My mum offered the police in and there and then he radioed in after he had a quick look. He said that the previous owner and his family are not at the this address anymore. After that nothing more was sent through, and I think the previous owner was tracked down. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #632876 22nd Jun 2017 2:12pm
hank

Similar to what happened when the repo man came to my property shortly after I moved in seeking the previous owner.

He said he would report back to the credit company/update some database!? After which letters reduced greatly. Probably helped I buttered him up with the previous owner's new address Laughing Revenge is a dish best served cold as they say - previous owner caused me much heartache during the purchase Whistle
Post #632882 22nd Jun 2017 2:40pm
excossack

I sent the post back to Very asking for either £25 payment or vouchers...so lets see what comes back.. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #633214 23rd Jun 2017 10:44pm
excossack

Finally got a reply from Very regarding this issue. The letter I sent to them has made it to the Fraud team. An internal request will be made to stop letters to our address but this can take up to 90 days.

The lady on the phone mentioned my request for a £25 returned mail fee or vouchers, and asked me if I wanted this passing to customer services (as she could not deal with this) so I said yes please. Let’s see what comes back from this request. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #635268 3rd Jul 2017 11:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>