Home > Puma (Tdci) > Engine oscillation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SecaBlue

Sweden 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
Engine oscillation
Hi Guys,

Have mysterious symptom of my 2.4 Puma... in the last month or so, I have noticed that my engine wants to, for lack of a better term, oscillate under engine braking. Kind of like a very mild 'bunny hop' sort of feel, although not when I am applying drive.

To explain it better, reducing speed under engine braking only, mostly 3rd and 2nd gear from approx 2000 rpm down to near 1000 rpm, the engine does not decelerate smoothly. The whole car vibrates sometimes, and when I engage the brakes, it settles somewhat.

I took it into the local LR service centre who drove it and felt it, and then plugged in the LR computer to run a full diagnostic including injectors etc. The computer found no faults, but there is definitely something not right. Could it be something to do with the throttle FlyByWire?... as sometimes the accelerator pedal seems very touchy, causing the driveline to jolt upon applying accelerator at speed in 3rd, 4th etc.

Could an oil change not using the recommended Castrol but similar fully synthetic cause this?

Any clues? Thanks in advance! 2008, 2.4 Puma 110, Silver, 7 seats, sunroof, Winter pack, not enough mud on it!
Post #631286 14th Jun 2017 11:59am
SecaBlue

Sweden 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
Upon further research, I am putting this symptom down to an apparent Puma trait with an over-sensitive accelerator... sometimes when I lift off very very gently, it does not happen... but when I lift off quickly, even in 6th at 70km/h, it jerks around for a few seconds before settling down.

I have however read that other symptoms of extreme bunny hopping could be a leaking/bad intercooler hose, or even fuel pressure sensor on the rail.

Anyone experienced a smoother throttle after any work done? 2008, 2.4 Puma 110, Silver, 7 seats, sunroof, Winter pack, not enough mud on it!
Post #634065 28th Jun 2017 11:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1