↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Sawtooth alloys
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gutch1985

England 
Sawtooth alloys
Right I think I have made my mind up and going for sawtooth alloys but in 18".

Question is I'm read that many post and some say some have thick spokes and thin ones. Now I can't tell tbh unless I'm looking at wrong ones lol.

So are they like OEM

Click image to enlarge
Post #629977 8th Jun 2017 5:07pm
Teario

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Rioja Red
I also found the whole thin/thick spoke thing confusing. I recently ended up with some different sets though and here's what I found.

The first set I ordered looked like this:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

They were damaged so sent them back and used a different supplier to get a replacement set. The other supplier was more expensive so I ended up only buying 4. I was too impatient to wait until I'd saved up for the 5th. They are now on the defender and look like this:

Click image to enlarge

Despite ordering grey, the second supplier sent me black ones. I liked them though so kept them.

You can see in the curve that they are thicker. I assume this is what people are concerned about. It's really noticeable once you spot it.

Later, I ordered a 5th from the same supplier. This one is different to the 4 they sent me the first time around though. I use it as the spare:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This new one also has a thin curve, which was unexpected because I assumed it would match the 4 that I got from them a few weeks earlier. Worth noting is that the inner "dish" part of the spoke (as if you're looking from the inner side of the wheel) on the "thin" spoke is also shallower. I don't have pictures to illustrate this though.

There are some other differences too. I'm not sure if they grey ones were shallower or it's just an illusion because the centre cap part protrudes further.

Click image to enlarge

The 4 black ones I got have a load rating of 1250. Or maybe 975. Depends which one of these you choose to believe.

Click image to enlarge

The 4 I received on my first order are also very slightly different in size compared to the 5th.

Click image to enlarge

The original grey ones I didn't get the product code of, but the first 4 black are A16516533XTECHA and the 5th is A16516533XTECH, so basically the same without the "A" at the end.

Hope that helps and doesn't just leave you more confused Laughing
Post #630039 8th Jun 2017 9:18pm
Gutch1985

England 
Mate that is brill as I now no the difference but that has Censored my head up as i want to see them first ha ha cheers tho mate
Post #630047 8th Jun 2017 10:00pm
Teario

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Rioja Red
No problem. I've got some more pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9CtoihBHxZIOEcwcWhCSXVJUkU

Should also mention mine are 16". Good option might be to get to a show and you'll be able to see them properly. I couldn't decide between 16 or 18 so went to GBLRS and there was a bearmach show car with 16s on that I had a good poke around.

Since I got both types from the same supplier, if you do find yourself concerned about the spoke issue you'd do well to clarify with the place you buy from about which type you're going to receive.
Post #630060 8th Jun 2017 11:01pm
Gutch1985

England 
Yeah I had 16" gen ones on my 90 but then went for 20 mantas on my 110 but the drive isn't as nice. So did some reading up and it's sounds like the 18" have best of both worlds.
Post #630094 9th Jun 2017 6:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1