↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Press Freedom
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lost for Words

Press Freedom
As some of you may be aware, the government is currently consulting on the implementation of the Leveson Inquiry and section 40 of the Crime and Courts Act 2013.

Said section 40 is a draconian piece of law that, if commenced, would see newspapers who will not sign up to a government approved regulator forced to pay the costs of any libel cases brought against them regardless of whether they are found guilty or not. Such court cases have the potential to bankrupt publications, leaving the door wide open for the press to be bullied into submission by those with the money to bring such a case.

Frankly, it is ludicrous that this is even being consulted on, and it would mark the end of our centuries-old tradition of the free press that we are lucky enough to take for granted. It is among the most important pillars of a free, liberal democracy, and it matters to all alike, no matter what your political orientation and views.

I urge anyone who believes in the free press to submit a response to the consulation. The consultation is open until the 10th January - all you need to do is call on the government to repeal section 40 of the Crime and Courts Act 2013 and you reponse must be logged.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultation...ementation

Quote:
Respond online

or

Email to:
presspolicy@culture.gov.uk

Write to:
Press Policy, Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 4th floor, 100 Parliament St, London SW1A 2BQ

Consultations get bombarded by special interest groups so every voice counts. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver
Post #588398 29th Dec 2016 12:47pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Free Press ??? Are you SURE we have one ? If we do it's certainly not very evident as most of our "free press" are too obsessed with regurgitating press releases verbatim and publishing gossip.

I can see the reasoning behind the proposal and it's probably the least onerous of all the options available. Essentially either the press agree to having a regulator or they leave themselves open to expensive libel cases. The alternative was to have an enforced regulator. The press have, for a very long time, had their own "code of conduct" but given that there is nobody actually enforcing or even policing the code of conduct the enquiry came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the paper it isn't written down on.

Remember that the enquiry was triggered by our "free press" illegally invading the privacy of private individuals, not just those in the public arena either. The "free press" was determined to have deliberately broken the law and, in part, this was done because the "free press" felt they were above the law and not accountable to anyone.

The reality is that protection from the costs of libel doesn't impede a truly "free press" because real news (as opposed to glorified gossip columns posing as news) has no real risk of libel action against the medium or the reporter.

The irony is that the very thing that undermines our "free press" (self serving pressure groups) is the same thing that is calling to "defend" that skewed relationship. Why would a pressure group be concerned about a regulator looking at the way news is gathered and reported I wonder ? http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #588402 29th Dec 2016 1:15pm
Lost for Words

Quote:
The alternative was to have an enforced regulator.

The alternative, is to have no regulator, as it should be. Freedom of the press is there for a very good reason. Never give power to anyone that you would not give to your enemies.

Quote:
Remember that the enquiry was triggered by our "free press" illegally invading the privacy of private individuals, not just those in the public arena either. The "free press" was determined to have deliberately broken the law and, in part, this was done because the "free press" felt they were above the law and not accountable to anyone.

Illegally being the operative word. We have libel laws and that's fine - censorship we do not need, because nobody is in a position to determine all truth from falsehood.

Quote:
The reality is that protection from the costs of libel doesn't impede a truly "free press" because real news (as opposed to glorified gossip columns posing as news) has no real risk of libel action against the medium or the reporter.

It is the inverse which is the big issue - papers found innocent of libel would still have to pay the costs. In my book, that's absolutely perverse. Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Post #588409 29th Dec 2016 2:42pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Surely all the press has to do is report the truth and they'll be fine? That sounds ok to me and would make a nice change. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #588492 29th Dec 2016 7:18pm
Lateralus

United States 
I just read about a piece of legislation my senator supported and is expected to be signed by our president. It sets up an agency who is responsible for investigating possible fake news sites and is responsible for countering their "propaganda".

Meanwhile Brian Williams still works for the "news" business and Dan Rather is still respected in news media lol. These people in media have an incestuous relationship with government and seek to shut down opposition. There's nothing free or liberal about that. There's nothing liberal about many things the current US democratic party supports.
Post #588496 29th Dec 2016 7:30pm
Lost for Words

mk1collector wrote:
Surely all the press has to do is report the truth and they'll be fine? That sounds ok to me and would make a nice change.

Who decides what is the truth? Nobody can accurately determine that. Think of all the disagreements you've ever had and then imagine if those people were regulating the press...

Regulation opens up a system of technocracy and if they don't sign up, then no, the truth doesn't guarentee anything, and worse, the truth can be suppressed by anyone with the money for a court case, even if unjustified. Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Post #588504 29th Dec 2016 7:44pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
I think critical thinking should be taught every year of school. It is so difficult to find "Facts" these days.

Any form of press censorship is always going to be contentious but that said there are always going to be stories which are best kept quiet.

What does bother me is when people like Rupert Murdoch can own huge amounts of the press and then use it for his influence and agenda. That is wrong and not independent. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #588511 29th Dec 2016 7:59pm
JustFX

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Coniston Green
The fear I have is not on mainstream media...they can't report news even if it hits them in the face. But the new bloggers and website owners that state stuff as fact with very little proof to back it up. Photographing and posting that someone needs to be harassed as he did something etc.

Free Press...sorry but they dug that hole themselves. But then again those with money and or in a high position are media smart (well they get there using that skill set) which meant the media had to look for alternative sources for into. 
Post #588542 29th Dec 2016 9:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1