↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > New to me 90 HT XS .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Both look good but I prefer a black roof. Probably because that's how mine is Thumbs Up

That's what I love about Defenders. You really have to work hard to make it look naff.
Post #577834 14th Nov 2016 10:13pm
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Have to agree with riverboy both options look good but I would stay black as I like grey with black roof and I plan to spray my bonetti grey 110 roof santorini at some point Thumbs Up
Post #577837 14th Nov 2016 10:19pm
L90DNY

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Corris Grey
Yeh I agree both look good! Happy to help with the decision, hard with paint as it's so final! Deciding on what colour to respray my 90 was a nightmare
Post #577840 14th Nov 2016 10:30pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
What a great forum this is. Its very nice the way fellow members help each other out. Riverboy I have long admired your Defender having seen it on youtube Bow down L90DNY really appreciate your efforts on photoshop and to the rest of posters on this thread thank you for your comments in helping me choose the roof colour.
Post #577862 14th Nov 2016 11:14pm
Sulisuli

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Transpires the roof was resprayed in February this year. The work wasnt done by a main dealer but by a garage who work on Landrovers. Having taken it to the main dealers they are unable to progress a warranty claim for me due to the previous work carried out which is fair comment on the dealers part.....but I wonder where that leaves me with regard to redress on the garage that carried the work. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90

Last edited by Sulisuli on 21st Nov 2016 10:10pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #578921 19th Nov 2016 12:43pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Take it to the garage that carried out the work and ask them BEFORE presenting them with your Land Rover roof what sort of warranty they would give you should they carry out any paintwork. Most authorised and reputable bodyshops give 12 months warranty on paint. Then present them with their shoddy workmanship and ask what they are prepared to do about it? Best if you have some form of receipt/record for the work done last January.

I had a very similar issue with good results by carrying out the same method of resolution.

K9F wrote:
I had both cappings stripped, treated and repainted 12 months ago under warranty. 12 months later the rot has returned and I have bubbling paintwork. Initially Westover Land Rover stated that paintwork has a three year warranty and I wouldn't be covered. I then sprung the fact that their 'authorised' bodyshop had done the rework once already less than 12 months ago and the paint would not be bubbling were it not for the fact the capping is rotting from within. Well I then visited their workshop and spoke with Steve the manager. They are very tied by Land Rover by what they are and are not allowed to do with regards to an effective repair. Several things sprung to mind, the rust treatment they use is automotive and rubbish, by shamfering off the sharp edges and possibly filling after treatment the paint would have more to adhere to, the air, moisture and dirt wouldn't get in and hopefully the repair will last a bit longer. Whilst not wishing to sound smug or explain to him how to do his job we have 'reached a compromise' where I shall supply the rust treatment, he will do a more effective repair and I shall pay a 'goodwill jesture' for getting it done right! I like compromise.....especially where both provider and customer are happy.
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #578933 19th Nov 2016 1:23pm
Sulisuli

Thanks for the advice. I am currently in discussion with the garage who carried out the work and I am hopeful I can reach a resolution.

The picture below shows a part of the roof with a piece of paint that has come off today!!

Click image to enlarge
 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #579107 20th Nov 2016 12:18am
Sulisuli

Garage in question not being very helpful at all, firstly said it's not their problem....what even though you did the paint job 8 months ago as an "insurance claim" that I have a copy of the quote you gave the previous owner for the work?
Well it only costs £400 for a roof respray was their reply oh so that makes it ok does it? Funny the garage charged more than that at the time.
Have now offered a good will gesture of we will respray it but you need to deliver it to us a 300 mile drive to the paint shop and then train journey home to Cornwall and then 3 days later the same in reverse, funny that would cost me more than £400.00 in fuel and rail tickets plus my time as I'm self employed.
What a really helpful garage. I have had a main dealer paint shop ' Roger Youngs' and an independent very well established insurance approved body shop / paint shop inspect the roof and they have both said it is the 'worst paint job' they have both ever seen for several reasons!!
So what would you do in my position? Return to the garage so they can take it to the same paint shop to respray it knowing they aren't going to be paid or take it to an independent insurance approved body shop / paint shop at my own cost?
Looking forward to your thoughts and comments please. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #581219 28th Nov 2016 11:31pm
YOLO110

Australia 
What a PITA mate!

Personally, I would just swallow the cost of getting it re-done properly and without all that other hassle and time wasting that I guess you have to put a 'price' on... Perhaps you can get the offending paint shop to cough up £200 or so...

If they have done it badly once, it wont be done properly again! Evil or Very Mad YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #581229 29th Nov 2016 12:38am
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Sulisuli wrote:

So what would you do in my position? Return to the garage so they can take it to the same paint shop to respray it knowing they aren't going to be paid or take it to an independent insurance approved body shop / paint shop at my own cost?
Looking forward to your thoughts and comments please.

Obstacles -

Previous owner had the job done - therefore, you're already on the back foot (albeit, legally they should honour the warranty, it is never that straightforward when you aren't the customer who entered into the contract)

Location - 300 mile drive (travel costs)

Quality of the job - rubbish the first time, chances are it will be rubbish the second time and then you have the pain of going through this all again.

Loss of earnings - as you've said, there is an opportunity cost in loss of time.

Conclusion -

Given the amount of obstacles and cost to get the vehicle to them, you should find a reputable local shop (check the warranty on the work) and get the job done at your expense and satisfaction. A bit of a bitter pill to swallow but better to get it sorted and move on than give yourself a load of trouble, spend more money (transport and loss of earnings) than it would cost to fix it locally, just because 'they should put it right!'

Sulisuli wrote:
Guys I need your help, the roof paintwork isnt great at all, poor in fact would be a better description, so its booked into the main dealer on Monday for a respray hopefully under warranty but my dilemma is this, Do I keep the roof black or spray it the body colour of Corris grey?? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

As an aside, did you know the roof was bad when you purchased it or did you only find out after the fact?

PS - I'd stick with the black roof Wink
Post #581269 29th Nov 2016 10:54am
jb71

United Kingdom 
Agree with above, not worth the hassle, get it done by someone you trust and move on.
Name and shame said garage so no one else has the misfortune to use them Thumbs Up
Post #581280 29th Nov 2016 12:17pm
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Agree - name and shame them. Companies that provide terrible service/work deserve to get bad publicity
Post #581281 29th Nov 2016 12:25pm
Sulisuli

AM94 Thanks for your detailed reply and everything you say is true, the garage did say it wasnt their responsibility as I wasnt their customer with regard to the paintwork initially carried out or that I didnt buy the car from them, all of which I acknowledge but their workmanship failed within 12 months to which they replied the warranty is only for 3 months!! but after several email exchanges they agreed as a gesture of goodwill to do the respray but under the conditions I explained earlier in my postings.

With regard to the roof I didnt notice until after purchasing, it was raining on the day I viewed it and collected it (lesson learnt there) so part of the fault lays with me on that point.

However the seller was extremely helpful at this point in regard to giving me all the garage info, the history as to why the work was carried out after an incident at a car wash and a copy of the garages quotation to him to replace the roof with a "new one" from Landrover as well as respray it, as it transpires it isnt a new roof at all but when I asked the garage about this they confirmed by email to me they had spoken to the seller at the time of the work being carried out and agreed to replace the roof with a "NTO" which means "new taken off" from a vehicle of similar age sourced through a Landrover breakers!!! It also transpires that above the backdoor the roof has been filled and this has been verified by my local main dealers bodyshop manager and the local independent who I took it too yesterday!! However the company having to foot the bill for the damage a car wash company paid up as per the original quote the seller informed me. But that is between the seller and the car wash company and doesnt involve either myself or the garage that did the work.

I am going to have the roof resprayed "Black" by a company local to myself who will make a first class job of the work and they have an excellent reputation and come highly recommended from 3 independent people / sources.

Gabe3105 and JB71 "name and shame" isnt quite straight forward in this case, everything I have stated in the posting is 100% accurate and I have the quote and emails to back this up but I dont know how Martin the Forum owner / Moderator would feel with regard to using this forum to "name and shame" 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #581293 29th Nov 2016 1:34pm
BossHog

England 
Very nice, looks well enjoy Thumbs Up
Post #581359 29th Nov 2016 6:26pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Tell the bodyshop who painted it they are too far away to have them redo the job so your having it painted locally and would they make a contribution to the cost. You might get £100/£200 out of them as it would cost them to do the job again anyway. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #581375 29th Nov 2016 7:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>