↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Roof tents and occupants?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
AJC

United Kingdom 
Roof tents and occupants?
Just out of curiosity, who uses a roof tent please and how many do you sleep in it?

I am in the market for one, it'd need to sleep 4, Me,the Mrs, and 2 kids.

Just curious as to what size you're using, 1.8m, 2.2?

My kids are 3 and 4 months and whilst happen the youngest is still too young now, i want it to last so will still want to use it in 5 years time.
Post #571710 18th Oct 2016 8:39am
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Had a roof tent for 2 i doubt you will get more than 2 on a defender.
Got rid of it for a trailer tent that you can leave and still be able to drive the truck

TC
Post #571836 18th Oct 2016 5:23pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I would be interested to hear this also,

I have 2 children 9 and 5 is there a 4 'birth' roof tent? I guess it would need the awning and sides to make an extra room?

Have to say with a 4 month old (probably sleeping in a cot or small crib type setup?) then the stuff you need in the tent, never mind getting them up and down it sounds like it could be fun?... not in a good way.....

We had a 2 birth van and very soon after 1st child we had to get a 4 birth..... I also don't mind the idea on a weekend top over using a roof tent. However we tend to use the car and would find it a pain setting up each night for much longer?

Just back from the caravan and camping show and some cracking blow up tents / trailers. Even maybe a drive away awning? more for T5's but maybe able to fit a 110 ?

Will watch this thread Very Happy
Post #571847 18th Oct 2016 6:08pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I'm not sure I'd want small children in a roof tent. Practicalities of carrying them up and down, or them using the ladder when they get older would put me off. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #571848 18th Oct 2016 6:08pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Had a look at the LRO Show and plenty of really nice set ups have two roof tents on a 110. But very very expensive and no communal space for cooking/changing etc. You could add awnings etc but then you might as well just stick up a normal ground tent at a much lower cost. The above set up would be great on Safari in warm climates but typical UK camping I'm not sure.

For four people, especially two young kids I'd definitely go for a trailer with tents on or to be honest just a normal tent. I guess it depends what you want to do. For me it would be drive to campsite, set up tent, then drive to pub for a meal, so roof tent not an option. Whistle James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #571852 18th Oct 2016 6:22pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the replies, I wouldn't take the kids in it yet. I'd wait till the youngest was at least not needing baby milk. I just want one now that'd last me

Might be better just me getting a 1.4m one whilst it's just me sleeping in it on my green Lane weekends that they don't come on

But as mentioned I did consider 2. Not too keen on the trailer tent as I want something I can use when laning
Post #571861 18th Oct 2016 6:49pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Have you seen this?

Looks great and a good make, at this price use it for yourself until kids bigger you will not lose much?

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49891.html
Post #571877 18th Oct 2016 7:57pm
captain slow

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Hi. Howling moon do a 4 person roof tent. I think trek overland sell them. We considered it, but decided on a trailer tent by 3Dog as it gave more flexibility and living space.

Click image to enlarge
 2.2 Tdci 110 XS CSW Corris Grey
Prince Harry's D3 (gone but not forgotten)
300 Tdi 110 CSW (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by captain slow on 23rd Oct 2016 5:54pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #571931 18th Oct 2016 9:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RoyW

Netherlands 
Hi, we've 3 kids of 3, 5 and 7 years old. Last 2 years they slept in our Howling Moon roof tent of 1,40 meter wide. We converted a former army trailer into an off road tent trailer. My wife and I slept inside the trailer.

In April this year we’ve been in South Africa and hired a 110 with 2 roof tents. One for the kids and one for the parents. We all slept perfect this way. But it was a hassle to fold and unfold the roof tent every day. We missed our trailer very much.

Click image to enlarge

This summer we decided that we wanted the luxury of a good night sleep for ourselves. So we sleep inside the roof tent. Our two girls slept inside the trailer and our son, the 7 year old, slept in an separate tent. We are planning to make an little annex tent for him which we can hang under our roof tent. Therefor we are going to use the mounting rails of the roof tent.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In good weather or one night stops we only unfold the rooftent.

Click image to enlarge

When camping in rainy weather of cold days we use our self-build awning and use the Howling Moon annex tent.

Click image to enlarge

For more pictures of the trailer you can vised our website www.stokenstaart.nl (in Dutch).

Greetings, Roy
Post #572363 20th Oct 2016 8:48pm
Hairysteve

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Barolo Black
Very nice Roy Thumbs Up
Post #572369 20th Oct 2016 9:04pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
Awesome set up Roy
Post #572428 21st Oct 2016 7:35am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
These guys: http://www.a2aexpedition.com/ sleep four in a big roof tent.
Children aren't that small either.

Their book has some hilarious details about certain practicalities for living in one space permanently.
Post #572440 21st Oct 2016 8:50am
Martin 01

I've had a Hannibal 1.6 for a while when the kids were a bit younger.
It slept 4 of us, 2 adults & 2 kids. The kids were 2 & 6 when we first got ours & they loved it, they thought it was like a tree house been up there looking out.
We slept top to toe for bit more room. It was cosy but never felt cramped.
I added the Tourer kit to ours for some privacy when getting changed on a night & in the morning & it's also handy for storing gear in.
What you may not know is that inside a roof tent it is really dark even when it's light outside so don't get woken up by early morning light like in most standard tents.
You have a nice comfy mattress to sleep on & you can leave your sleeping gear in it when you fold it away, so no taking up space in the vehicle.
I've now sold this & bought a Howling Moon 1.4 with Tourer kit & recently bought the half moon awning that attaches to it forming a really large covered area below the tent. Sides are available for the awning which would make a really large room below the tent,
Take a look on the Flatdog website for tents & the awnings.
Really good prices & excellent service.
Post #572562 21st Oct 2016 9:15pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i have a maggi and slept 3 in it once! myself plus my 2 x 6yr olds. bit of a squeeze! roof tents for two work well! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #572566 21st Oct 2016 9:40pm
Mac22

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
I have a 1.6m Howling Moon tourer, there would be enough room for two + two as they are young.
If your roof tent is a keeper you should look at the HM 2.4m or the zip-on awning & sides, It's a huge room and quite neat as you can open it up and use the back / side of the vehicle it's mounted on.

Ben @ FlatDog is the cheapest supplier of Howling Moon and without starting a separate debate, they really are the best of the best......

HM 1.6m tourer on my bus with a side awning

Click image to enlarge

With the zip-on awning

Click image to enlarge

With the walls on..

Mac..
Post #572782 23rd Oct 2016 10:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>