↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Alarm/Immobiliser activation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
drinkdrinkdrop

United Kingdom 
Alarm/Immobiliser activation
Looking for some opinions on what to do about security for my defender, i've got a pedallock and barrel lock on order and I want to sort out the alarm system.

My 110 hardtop has the 270 10AS unit, currently doing very little as best I can tell. What's the best way forward? just ignore it and go aftermarket (Toad/clifford etc) or get it activated at a local indy (or do both?). If I get it activated is stuff like the passive coil in place and can I add a BBuS to work with the unit?
Post #565088 19th Sep 2016 3:26pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
All you need is 2 fobs and to have it activated.

It will work with out the passive coil, but it will be a pain as you will have to keep disarming with the fob when you have not had the ignition on for a while. You can add a BBUS and interior movement sensor if you fancy. I suggest a bonnet switch and bracket too to prevent anyone messing with the BBUS.

I don't rate aftermarket alarms at all generally. It is not the alarm generally but the way it is fitted. I have had experience of 4 certified Thatcham cat 1 alarms in various vehicles. One Peugeot and one Discovery (clarion and laserline) took me less than 5minutes to locate, bypass and remove, one in a 110 (Cobra) which was fitted with wires just twisted and taped with only the starter immobilised and another in a Peugeot (Toad) which did take a little more effort to remove but again could be bypassed easily.

The standard 10AS system is quite competent if configured correctly (i.e. indicators not to flash during alarm etc), the BBUS armoured/relocated, full set of working door switches, fobs kept separate to keys, OBD2 port hidden etc.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #565232 19th Sep 2016 9:44pm
dorsetsmith

Post #565278 20th Sep 2016 8:09am
chinnus

2001 Defender 90 Td5 ST Coniston Green
if your nearby i done mind lending a hand programming with a nanocom !

Tom
Post #565281 20th Sep 2016 8:16am
drinkdrinkdrop

United Kingdom 
Had the steering cowl off to fit a barrel lock and it appears I don't even have a passive coil. It seems as far as I can tell most of the original alarm parts are going for silly money these days I can get a coil for not much https://www.landroverworkshop.com/parts/AMR4897 but things like ultrasonics cost more than a new alarm http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/land-rove...er-90.html

Given i've got next to nothing in place I'm thinking i'll just fitting a new alarm myself, spoke to insurance and they won't reduce my premium for having thatcham approved (or even having an alarm infact!) so seems a no brainer
Post #565796 22nd Sep 2016 3:07pm
dorsetsmith

Post #565803 22nd Sep 2016 4:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1