Home > Td5 > TD5 wont start, no noise from fuel pump, temp gauge cold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Little Tom

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
TD5 wont start, no noise from fuel pump, temp gauge cold
Morning,

I have just had a call from the wife telling me the land rover wont start, sadly im not there to have a look but I will tonight and wanted to get some advice gathered before I get home.

From what I can gather, it turns over but wont start, when the ignition is on there is no sound from the fuel pump and the temperature gauge shows 0 or cold. The reason I say this is from reading on here there seems to be a problem with the gauge showing around 75% and no noise from the fuel pump?

Does this sound like a similar problem? An ECU / earthing problem of some sorts? Mechanically im fairly sound but when it comes to the elastic trickery I'm just not that confident, I'm ok with fuses etc and looking for obvious signs of damage and I'm aware of the flimsy earth cable under the drivers seat after I fitted an over drive last year.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, when I get back later i'll be cleaning out the ECU red plug and checking the yellow relay / fuses and wires for obvious wear but other than that??

Thanks Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #549680 19th Jul 2016 9:28am
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Check that the fuel pump relay is being woken up by the ECU. Under driver's seat the yellow rear relay, waggle it, tighten the spade with thin pliers and generally encourage a good connection. Have you got any chip performer add-ons under there? On my 2005 90 this has been a real pain. Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #549684 19th Jul 2016 10:07am
Little Tom

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
No chip add ons, well not that I have added, I assume it would be fairly obvious if there was one. I will check that relay and give it and the red ECU a clean with electrical cleaner and see what happens...

Any other suggestions? Michael was just telling me a story about a friend of his who slept with a land rover, lonely nights in the desert..
Post #549699 19th Jul 2016 11:30am
dorsetsmith

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

start with earthing i.e. battery to chassis , to transfer box and chassis to body drivers side underneath, next fuse driver seat box and so on good luck

do you have voltage tester ?
Post #549710 19th Jul 2016 12:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1