↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Ecotricity - What have you done?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Ecotricity - What have you done?
Just a rant about my other non-Defender car I have in the family, a little story about what happened this evening.

THANK YOU ECOTRICITY!

My wife is driving home from Oxford and stops at Chievely services to charge (as she has done on many occasions), and finds that you are now charging for the juice. No problem... she downloaded the app, entered her credit card details, confirms her email address and tries to charge. App says card not valid after attempt. No problem... add another card, same thing - card not valid. Hmmm - did she really spend that much on two cards.. I doubt it. Add a third and final card... CARD NOT VALID. Call Ecotricty - nope, offices are closed. Try the app as a guest... nope - card not valid. She buys a coffee from Starbucks... card works fine, so that rules out the card issue.

Result? Stuck in Chievely services UNABLE TO CHARGE. This is SHAMEFUL! In addition, £6 for 30 mins!!! This will not even get 12kWH!

I am appalled at the lack of communication from Ecotricity. After a major software and hardware update not even having 24 hour helpline available for the first couple of weeks.

Nissan are now recovering her back home. Words cannot describe just how disappointed we are with Ecotricity. Sure - charge what you want - but you need some serious business management if you are going to succeed. You have gone from angel to devil in 24 hours.... good luck with the business model. I am buying a Tesla - at least these promise to keep their chargers free)

OK - Rant over.... Thankfully I have my most awesome Defender. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #548577 13th Jul 2016 10:00pm
xpertoftheseas

Oh - and thank you DEFENDER2.NET for bringing me back to earth softly with an awesome community!

Thank you to all of you. This site keeps me sane. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #548579 13th Jul 2016 10:07pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Had to google ECOTRICITY to find out exactly what your rant was about.

On reading your thread title I was thinking of solar panels or mini wind turbine in back garden..

Hope wife arrives home safe and sound if not exactly fully charged.

Enjoy your rants as they can help you.

Brendan
Post #548586 13th Jul 2016 10:23pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
We have two Leafs and don't plan to replace them based on the charging structure released. They still offer it free if you change over to Ecotricity as your dual fuel supplier for gas&electric. Nope. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #548596 13th Jul 2016 10:38pm
xpertoftheseas

I think I am going to do the same. Not much point in keeping it or replacing it as it is now the same cost to run a 50mpg car. I pay 10p per kwh at home. .. and they are charging 5 times that cost so it has tipped the scales in the opposite direction and become cost ineffective.

Maybe buy another Defender Laughing My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #548597 13th Jul 2016 10:44pm
ken

United Kingdom 
It was well publicised Chargemaster pretty much the same

Free power really had to end

Just wait for the BiK hike Rolling with laughter Road tax non free Congestion charge its going to happen
Post #548628 14th Jul 2016 7:21am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
It pees me off when the iPad dies and have to charge it up. I can't image my rage if stuck in a service area with a lifeless Leaf. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #548641 14th Jul 2016 8:25am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I realise they have to charge but it does seem rather expensive. I can also see why they would do it on time, because something like an Outlander will use the charger for a long time to not get much energy because it's got a small battery, so it's unnecessarily clogging the pump up. The problem is that Chademos are very variable, you should be able to get 50kW out but my boss's Tesla with a pretty low battery could only get half that out of a Chademo last week so on the new charging structure the value will really depend on how good that particular Chademo really is.

£6 for 30 minutes at 30kW will give you 15kWh in the battery, or 50-60 miles. £6 would give me about 1 gallon of diesel at motorway prices, so it's about the same as an efficient car. Obviously if you get a properly working fast charger then it's a lot better value.
Post #548671 14th Jul 2016 10:27am
Muddywheels

England 
Just had to google this too Laughing

Found this article which may be related Confused

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/ar...rways.html Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!
Post #548675 14th Jul 2016 10:45am
xpertoftheseas

It was always on the cards that the electric vehicles would eventually have to pay - it is understandable. However the sand in the vaseline is the fact the the electricity is being charged out at 4-6 times the price. Average kWH unit price is 11p, but this works out at around 50p per kWH. Have in mind that there is a lot of tax on fuel, and this cost is comparable to a diesel car at 50mpg, but there is no such tax on the electricity - it is pure profit (less infrastructure costs) for Ecotricity. Cupboard - you are totally correct - I have never seen the 50kW chargers provide 50kw - always around the 38-42kW so this time charging is just a away of increasing the income. Now if they charged by kWH, then this would be different but still very expensive.

My main beef with Ecotricity is that they implemented the charging costs, then had an app that did not work and zero customer service to assist the motorists who rely on the network. Dale Vince (owner of Ecotricity) has dug Ecotricity a massive hole in an attempt to drive customers towards his Gas and Electric plans which are HUGELY more expensive than many others, and in the process has pretty much hammered several nails in the coffin of the Electric Car revolution.

I am not averse to paying for any service, but it must be reasonable and in no way considered greedy. Ecotricity in this case I would suggest are just being greedy.

We decided last night to dispose of the leaf after the lease expires in November, and are now considering a Golf Diesel or even Vauxhall Ampera as a replacement. I know - not quite the eco- friendly solution but an alternative cost wise in this situation. If only they made a hybrid Defender Rolling Eyes My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #548701 14th Jul 2016 12:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1