Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Harryb450

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Thankyou Shax, just ordered them both. NO ROAD..........EXCEPT FOR LANDROVER
Post #488674 4th Jan 2016 11:23pm
Harryb450

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Well she's in! The old shaft was well, like a turd in a pot to be honest, the wear doesn't look much but the amount of slap was unbelievable. Like a newen now Very Happy the amount of rusty dust was surprising too NO ROAD..........EXCEPT FOR LANDROVER
Post #490476 9th Jan 2016 11:39pm
dilukabey

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Hi there,
I have applied grease on shaft coupling when my clutch pump was replaced about 20k miles ago. Recently I have noticed a clunk when changing gears and then I replaced the rear prop shaft rear universal joint together with two gear box mounts. Then the problem was noticeably solved but still clunk occurs specially when changing gears quickly. I don't know this problem is something to do with worn coupling splines ?

If I am to replace the main shaft coupling kit with LR with LR recommended lubes I guess it would cost me less than half the price of ashcroft kit and job done.!

Would like to hear thought and comments on LR kit with lube vs Ashcroft kit. Cheers.
Post #535546 29th May 2016 6:11am
AlanH

Australia 
I'm going to get the kit that presumably comes from LR fitted soon as I can't see the value in paying so much for the Ashcroft part. Here in Oz it's liable to be much more expensive than in the UK and it won't be just because of transport costs either.
I did ask the stealers workshop foremen to ensure the shaft was greased when they replaced the transfer box but all he could keep saying was "It is not a service item"....... I've stopped myself from making a racist comment here but they speak the same way in certain takeaway shops. Laughing
I'll get the one man band independent I use to change any seals at the same time.
AlanH.

PS. Haven't heard from my mate who had his MY2007 shaft fail with no warning whatsoever for a long time..... I suspect he's gone back to the darkside. Shocked
And I don't blame him.....
Post #535576 29th May 2016 8:57am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Hello, what "kit"are you talking about?
Pickles.
Post #535589 29th May 2016 10:06am
Tim_NZ

Australia 
The output shaft kit Pickles: http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/mt...t-kit.html

Cheers,
Post #535605 29th May 2016 11:37am
AlanH

Australia 
Not the one I was thinking of. The independent that has done work for me in the past says there's a kit for about $au300 which includes a new shaft plus grease and anything else needed to fix this problem. Seems to be about a 1/3rd of the Ashcroft item.
I'm not knocking Ashcrofts price or their product but don't feel it's necessary to spend that much on a vehicle I'll be keeping for at the max. 3 more years.
AlanH.

PS. I'll check who makes this other kit and advise you.
Post #535609 29th May 2016 12:09pm
YOLO110

Australia 
AlanH wrote:

I did ask the stealers workshop foremen to ensure the shaft was greased when they replaced the transfer box but all he could keep saying was "It is not a service item".......

I presume you are in Perth mate? So was this workshop North or South of the river please? YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #535641 29th May 2016 3:27pm
nitram17

blackwolf wrote:
I think that probably all vehicles have this issue sooner or later, unless the factory has finally started applying grease on assembly, and I have not seen any evidence that they have started.

I am not sure where the MT82 box is actually assmbled onto the LT230, but this is where the job should be done. I suspect that transmissions arrive at Lode Lane pre-assembled from somewhere. Anyone actually know (I think I asked this once before but can't remember the answer).

What would, I think, be more interesting to know is the life expectancy of a properly greased assembly of standard parts, and the long term performance of the Ashcroft modified parts.

I changed my clutch at 150k miles last year and there was negligible wear on the output shaft splines (they were actually a better fit than the brand new parts I had bought in the expectation of needing). These are the original parts on a 2007 110, despite there being no evidence of anything recognisable as grease in the assembly. I reassembled the original parts with a new seal and cover with lashings of molybdenum disulphide grease, and look forward to seeing what it looks like when the next clutch goes in (which will probably be early next year at the 200k mile mark, since I don't reckon that a clutch lasts much more that 50k).

I don't know of anyone who's run a high mileage on the Ashcroft modified shaft but it would be of great interest to see one after say 50k or 100k miles.

I do think though that there must be another factor at work in the shaft failure scenario, since even allowing for different suppliers etc I fail to see otherwise how some fail at under 10k miles whilst others last 200k miles. I wouldn't mid betting that there is some kind of gearbox/transferbox alignment issue with some vehicles.

Pardon my ignorance on the subject but isnt the shaft meant to fit tightly into female end and the coupling rotates..so there should be no movement within the coupling and the grease is there to dissapaite heat and aid fitment...........the fact that some last and some dont as you say points to either a allingnement issue or a quality issue ....those splines look rather small i would of thought deeper cut splines ould make for better fit!perhaps a joint with some articulation wwould overcome the allignement issues?
Post #535654 29th May 2016 4:13pm
AlanH

Australia 
Getting a shaft/coupling with a good fit is probably a bit of luck as you can bet those slapping these things together don't match the items. A couple of thou up or down can make all the difference to the feel of how a thing mates together. As for grease.... as I've said before some don't like the feel of it between their fingers so it's pot luck all round with these assemblies.
The workshop I and others have been using for sometime YOLO is Aztech4x4 in Rivervale. Darren Robinson is the name and he only works on Jeeps and Landies. He has a website.
AlanH.
Post #535765 30th May 2016 12:14am
nitram17

Harryb450 wrote:
Well she's in! The old shaft was well, like a turd in a pot to be honest, the wear doesn't look much but the amount of slap was unbelievable. Like a newen now Very Happy the amount of rusty dust was surprising too

How long did it take you harry ..did you do it yourself and where do you think all that rusty dust came from?as there looks like loads to much !
Post #535768 30th May 2016 1:26am
Tim_NZ

Australia 
YOLO110 wrote:

I presume you are in Perth mate? So was this workshop North or South of the river please?

I'm also in Perth, I've not used any of the independents, but the south of the river dealer is 100 times better IMO.

Cheers,

Tim
Post #536052 31st May 2016 10:20am
AlanH

Australia 
I think you're right Tim. Just a pity they're so far from me in the northern burbs.
AlanH.
Post #536419 1st Jun 2016 10:23am
YOLO110

Australia 
Thanks guys! Thumbs Up

Sorry for the antipodean thread drift! Embarassed YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #536423 1st Jun 2016 10:33am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
AlanH wrote:
Getting a shaft/coupling with a good fit is probably a bit of luck as you can bet those slapping these things together don't match the items. A couple of thou up or down can make all the difference to the feel of how a thing mates together. As for grease.... as I've said before some don't like the feel of it between their fingers so it's pot luck all round with these assemblies.
The workshop I and others have been using for sometime YOLO is Aztech4x4 in Rivervale. Darren Robinson is the name and he only works on Jeeps and Landies. He has a website.
AlanH.

Yes, that is how our Service Manager explained the situation to us when Gracie's shaft failed.
He said that if the two fittings involved, were machined EXACTLY to factory specs, there would not be an issue, but with different batches, made on different occasions, on different machines, there would inevitably be small differences in "measurements", creating marginal increases in tolerances in some instances, which was when the problem could occur.
Pickles.
Post #536728 1st Jun 2016 11:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>