↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Sankey Trailer conversion to overland trailer.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 11 <123 4 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Spoken like a true desk engineer lol. Thought I would just highlite it encase it had slipped through your mind. If it was sold on civi Street early enough you can always say it's been like that for years before the law changed.. Making envious now but can't justify a Sankey and plus I would have to do my B+E
Post #517255 24th Mar 2016 7:40am
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Moving on nicely
Streeeeetttttttccccchhhhhhh completed, painting and reassembly of all removed parts progressing Whistle

Click image to enlarge

No, that is not the final colour...

Mudguards and plates all made up ready for installation. Next .... assembly..... My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #518884 29th Mar 2016 4:50pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Looking good.

Great workshop to do it also, all the right tools Smile

I'm plodding on with my Garage renovated sankey, not envious of that space at all Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #518906 29th Mar 2016 5:54pm
xpertoftheseas

If it makes you feel better, this is the fabricators place. When it comes back it is going in a single garage like yours to be fitted out Crying or Very sad

I need to look at some over and under logistics, as the round the side is not an option. Any advice Laughing ?

. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #519095 29th Mar 2016 11:18pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ This isn't actually too bad, its wider I think than normal single so I can still get round each side if I park it more in the middle.

Also you cannot see easily as it has a board over it, but under the trailer is a sheet, remove this and there is a shallow pit, so you can get a bit lower to work on stuff Smile

If I move all my junk on the right I would have even more room. I Need a nice weekend and this garage really needs a sort out. Luckily we have two, one attached to the house (we call the good garage) and this one set back down a path (which is MINE) called the bad garage..... with all MY stuff in Smile

Click image to enlarge

Cheers
Post #519128 30th Mar 2016 8:19am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
A garage, luxury ! Smile

Progress on mine is still slow but steady, got the canvas cover fitted today. Now we know it'll all fit together as expected, the supporting frame is all coming off tomorrow and will be sent for galvanising. After that I can start the build process proper and the tent can be permanently mounted.

Click image to enlarge
 http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #519977 1st Apr 2016 2:43pm
shanecl

Ireland 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Firenze Red
Simon, what software are u using for the drawings. Have clicked the follow button.

Shane.
Post #520415 2nd Apr 2016 11:17pm
xpertoftheseas

Shane, i use a mixture of Autocad and Solidworks. Autocad for some smaller components and Solidworks for larger components and linear stress analysis. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #520421 3rd Apr 2016 1:40am
shanecl

Thanks Simon I'm just beginning to play with 3D Cad. Using OnShape. Getting the hang of it.

Could I be cheeky and ask for a copy of the .dxf file you have for the original sankey chassis.

Now Back to the project Smile
Post #520480 3rd Apr 2016 11:04am
xpertoftheseas

PM me your email address. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #520489 3rd Apr 2016 12:02pm
shanecl

Any updates Steve. You were making good progress
Post #531348 13th May 2016 7:45pm
xpertoftheseas

Update ...
The first qtr of this year has been bedlam with work, but the good news is that after end of May it all goes quiet which will allow me to get stuck in with the body work. The fabricator has finished I just need to go and pick it up when I get the chance. This is what ithe looks like now...

Click image to enlarge

The rear legs are missing as the fabricator made a booboo but he is fixing this. Gas tank and water tank are both in place so all I need to do first is paint the chassis black and then the body work can be started.

Expect some regular updates over the coming month as I need this completed for the France trip in august. Where is this year going????? My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #531607 15th May 2016 6:10am
mowcop

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
I made this
Post #531618 15th May 2016 7:29am
shanecl

Looking forward to them,

Ah stop. It's mid may already. Shocked
Post #531666 15th May 2016 10:15am
xpertoftheseas

Still awaiting the return of the trailer as I asked him also to machine the new brake discs and bearing covers. Meanwhile I have been busy with ordering all the interior parts like electrics and plumbing so expecting a very large delivery of parts which should complete my entire fit out of the trailer. In addition, I realised I have been concentrating on the trailer and neglecting the 110, so that needed to be sorted.

We originally were planning for Scotland this year, however Wifey doll started to look at mean and peak temperatures up there and quickly made an executive decision to abandon the highlands and instead head down to the South of France! I have no problem with this as I think this would be better anyway, albeit with a risk that this trailer somehow fails and I am stranded (more on this at a later date). So, to ensure we are not forgetting anything with the 110 we took off this weekend to Oxford for a one nighter to identify the things we are missing from this upcoming epic trip (epic in my book anyway).

Here is what I found..
Cruise control. This is a must as after driving for anything more than an hour things start to get painful. Ordered a unit.
Remap. Even with just a car full of kids and camping gear, the 110 is struggling. Remap and intercooler from BAS or Alive? Would appreciate anybody who had experience with this and can tell me if I need to send my ECU away? I cannot find any definitive information on this (particularly with BAS) as some information states that a new ECU is sent and others say it needs to be sent to BAS before you flash the ECU. Confused.
12v sockets in rear. I mean right in the rear of the 110. Have ordered two 12v USB panel mount sockets to enable the kids to charge their iPads etc.
Fuel tank. Not really a high priority but got me thinking about the fully loaded 110 with a reasonably large trailer. Heading into mountains and maybe the scarcity of fuel stations in the Pyrenees might have me sweating. Anyone experienced reading this would appreciate your comments. However was thinking of adding an additional 50l tank to the trailer just in case. I need to think more about this with trailer loading, design and logistics etc.
Trailer electrics. Need to modify to 13pin to be able to charge the trailer batteries from the 110. Have ordered the kit (LR005919)
Roof rack. The 110 already has a roof rack, however I need to carry two, two man kayaks on here. I am well within the max loading of the roof, I just need to figure out how to anchor them securely.

Getting a bit nervous with the time now, but I am confident I can complete prior to our departure to France. Hopefully the trailer will be back by end of this week. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #535896 30th May 2016 5:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 11 <123 4 ... 91011>