↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Wider Track Width - 110XS Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gray73

United Kingdom 
Wider Track Width - 110XS Station Wagon
I would really appreciate some advice on changing my wheels & tyres on my 2014 110 SW. I have standard 235/85R16C (Continental Cross contact AT's) on boost alloys but would like to upgrade to sawtooth alloys with a slightly wider tyre to give the vehicle a better looking stance, preferably without using spacers. What concerns me is whether a wider tyre will affect my already gargantuan turning circle. I'm bewildered at the choice available online so hoping someone out there has a set up similar to what I am after. I'm thinking something like a 30-40mm wider tyre, on a wheel with similar negative offset, would give me what I'm looking for without affecting turning circle....perhaps with a slightly more mud terrain tyre? My thoughts could well be utter cobblers though so I need some expert advice if anyone could be so kind? Has anyone got any pic's / details of a similar set up?
Confused
Post #519619 31st Mar 2016 4:14pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I Have a 110 with the same tyres and sawtooth 16" rims. After 6 months I'm now used to the turning circle not being great. However I also do like the wider stance...

That then brings its own issues though, if you go wider tyres more likely 'even' more road noise. If they stick out a little beyond the arches then dirt D-fenders will be needed if you want the side of your car from not having road much up the side.

From what I Have read you can have the bump stops wound out about to help the turning? I've not done this but could be worth a try.

The offset of the wheel depending which one will give you the same 'stance' as fitting a 30mm spacer but its obviously but into the structure of the rim.

I guess its a compromise, I use mine as a daily car and athough I do like the looks of 265 tyres or larger I also like the way these work. Its also OEM for Landrover so if they thought this size is good then that's good Smile

What colour is your 110. Here is mine (clean, does not look like this currently..)

These are your tyres with sawtooth 16" alloys.

Click image to enlarge

I have 30mm spacers on my spreadsheet of upgrades along with dirt D fenders, so it will happen one day. As long as you get the hub centric ones they should be absolutely fine. I will probably wait until my insurance renewal though as my current policy wanted £50 if I fit spacers..
Post #519628 31st Mar 2016 4:34pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
^^^^ steering stops rather than bump stops, the latter are for suspension at bump.

wider tyres wont decrease turning circle unless you have to adjust the steering stops to stop the tyres rubbing the radius arms, if they do rub its an MOT failure and of course that will itself limit the amount the wheel can turn. (angular) Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #519632 31st Mar 2016 4:40pm
Gray73

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the info Stacy.....nice landy. Mine is a daily drive as well although I do a few long trips in it once in a while so don't want to totally compromise on turning circle and road noise etc. It does get a little bit of off road, not as much as I'd like, but the majority of the lanes round my way are so choked up with trees etc it's hard to find any that won't rip the roof rack off! The odd farmer's field etc is more the norm for me sadly. Food for thought I think. Here's a pic of mine below, it's Santorini Black under the road grime Very Happy
Post #519637 31st Mar 2016 4:48pm
Gray73

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Sorry, here's the pic, operator error!!
Post #519639 31st Mar 2016 4:51pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
If spacers aren't your thing as you've said above then a different offset wheel will give you the same effect, you could probably wind your steering stops in with the wheels and tyres you have now to increase your turning circle.

As for tyres Id go for 265/75/16 for wider stance or 255/85/16 for a good width and a little extra ground clearance, although will upset the gearing/speedo slightly.
Post #519700 31st Mar 2016 8:06pm
Gray73

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Post #519704 31st Mar 2016 8:09pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I've just put spacers on and adjusted steering stops to max and the turning circle is much much better!
Post #521714 6th Apr 2016 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1