↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > viscous fan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jonnytatt

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Nato Green
viscous fan
Quick question i have googled it but got a 99% trustworthy answer.

When my engine is full temp i can stop the viscous fan with my finger.
Am i right in saying i should be missing a finger Laughing or atleast not be able to stop it.
(300tdi) sounds to be a whine increased with revs from the area of the viscous . It goes when my belts removed. I can only presume its this.

Thanks a bunch.
Post #496804 26th Jan 2016 9:31pm
LRmud

Scotland 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Baltic Blue
Not sure if you should be able to stop it with your finger but so long as its pushing/pulling air then I guess its doing its job correctly.
Can you try removing it and run without just to see if the noise goes away?

Your whining could be the PAS Pump, water pump or alternator.
Is the PAS Pump pulley loose i.e. lateral movement - if so, the pump's on its way out? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Defender 90
Toyota Aygo & Honda FR-V
Post #496814 26th Jan 2016 9:47pm
jonnytatt

Hi there is no play in Pas pulley. Alternator and water pump are new.
i will remove it tomorrow and see. I think thats the best bet.

I did note when removing the belt last time a quick fire up of the engine revealed there was no whine so i will check .
Post #496819 26th Jan 2016 9:56pm
LRmud

Scotland 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Baltic Blue
Just thinking aloud here... I'm no big expert on this but I understand there are two choices of belt - one is 15mm longer than the other. This being due to different sizes of alternator pulley available.

Is there a chance you have the wrong belt fitted - i.e. too short/tight?

Let us know how you get on. Thumbs Up --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Defender 90
Toyota Aygo & Honda FR-V
Post #496829 26th Jan 2016 10:09pm
jonnytatt

The belt is correct. But i admire your point. I will check the viscous tomorrow by removing it. I have since found a spare so i will try it on. Thanks.
Post #496840 26th Jan 2016 10:28pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: viscous fan
jonnytatt wrote:
Quick question i have googled it but got a 99% trustworthy answer.

When my engine is full temp i can stop the viscous fan with my finger.
Am i right in saying i should be missing a finger Laughing or atleast not be able to stop it.
(300tdi) sounds to be a whine increased with revs from the area of the viscous . It goes when my belts removed. I can only presume its this.

Thanks a bunch.

Hi Jonnytatt. When you say whine from the area around the fan do you mean a whoosh (like you hear when an old school Volvo takes off) or a higher pitched whine like a dry bearing?

As for the stopping the fan with your finger, eeshk be careful mate... Just because the engine is at full temp does not mean the fan will engage. the fan engages when the fluid in the viscous unit gets hot enough to thicken, so allowing the engine to drive the fan (accompanied by a whoosh). The heat comes primarily from the air running through the radiator. Generally the fan (providing it is healthy) on a TDI tends only to engage at low speeds when the air running through the rad is not sufficient enough to cool the engine. Think slow moving traffic or off-roading in summer. In truth I have never heard a viscous fan whine...

Iirc the 300 TDI has an idler pulley, these are renowned for developing dry bearings that can progress to squealing. The noise will vary with rpm and it is in the same area as the fan. They can sound as inocuous as as a chirp all the way up to banshee and beyond.

My money is on the idler bearing. If so then you can change just the pulley or the entire arm.
Post #496844 26th Jan 2016 10:33pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
You'll struggle to get a Tdi hot enough to fully engage the viscous at this time of year, unless you're working the engine very very hard.

It's pretty obvious when they come on, the noise is incredible! I've only managed to get mine to do it a few times, both during heavy towing in summer temperatures. Pulled off the M6 after storming up over Shap summit at 60 with about 2.5 tonnes on the back, sounded like someone had fitted a jet engine into the front of the car!
Post #496861 26th Jan 2016 11:22pm
jonnytatt

Thanks for the replys . Ive done some further diagnosis tonight and ruled out the viscous fan. Also idler is ok runs free.

What i have noticed it is a whine like a hydro pump whine similar to what you get in machine Which increases with the rpm a little until the engine drowns it out i suppose,
Sat in the cab holding the revs a little which brings on the wine , a turn or jolt of the wheel a bit shuts it up for a second.

So my theory is the whine is the PAS pump and the slight turn of the wheel disturbs its for a second or surges it and shuts it up..

Any one with me lol Rolling with laughter
Post #497116 27th Jan 2016 8:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1