↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Your kit list
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Your kit list
I am having a re fresh of my camping gear for this year. Some was given to me as a child and that's approaching 35yrs old!

Anyone wanna share their current kit list. I am gonna go out and do some retail therapy! We do rough camp as well as sites. 5 of us in the 130. Looking for great recommendations and things to avoid.

We have tents and sleeping bags, they are staying! 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #491373 12th Jan 2016 12:20pm
McGeordie

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Montalcino Red
Before little Miss McG was born, I did a lot of camping, but usually traveling on two wheels, things I always had to make my trip more pleasant:
1. Exped Mattress
2. MSR Whisperlite Stove - runs on anything
3. MSR Panset - light weight
4. Orikaso bowl - works really well and nieces always loved them, dead easy to clean as well, just fold them back flat
5. GSI wine glasses
6. Stainless mug that the wine glass fits in for ease of transport
7. Good Torch x2, and headtorch
8. Bark River Knife and Firesteel
9. Mini folding camping stool
10. Medicine..Bourbon, or Malt & vino, in suitable quantity

I use a one touch Biker tent, by Khyam, a Snugpak bag and fleece liner for when its really cold.
All tried and tested and happy with kit. Sold Def 90 HT 2010...Stornaway..(SOLD in Oct 2014)
Current: delivered October 2014:- 110 USW XS.....Montalcino Red
Post #491378 12th Jan 2016 12:42pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
camping is a subjective term as it means different things to different people.

To some its living in a canvas home with all mod cons on a site for a few weeks, to others its sleeping under canvas in a remote location with minimal equipment.

I used to fall into the second category for a long time as we took 6 yrs out and cycled round the world and lived in our tent for most of that time.
from those days it put us in good stead for having the 110 dormobile, where we have room to carry more equipment and food.

so the real basic stuff -
1. good reliable tent that is not too big and not too small - its needs to keep the weather out and fit you inside, be strong enough to stand in most conditions, but be easy to put up on your own. include an under sheet to go under the ground sheet to help keep warm and dry and to protect the tub. - we used a large plastic 'survival bag’ that had a double use in the event of a problem.
2. sleeping mats - should be easy to use, strong enough to resit puncture (if using inflatable ones) and thick enough to be comfortable if foam ones.
2.a - Sleeping bags - warm enough for the area and climate you are going to be in and if likely to be wet then have holofiber as this is warm when wet - bags need to be good as having a bad nights sleep is the worst thing to happen when you are on holiday !
3. cooker - needs to work with minimal fiddling with - in the UK gas is easy and cheep to buy, we used Trangier stoves on our trip as it burnt any form of alcohol and had no moving parts
4. water container - to hold enough water for your use for one meal and a drink. - more will be a bonus and needed if in a area that is hot and dry.
5. first aid kit - simple things like a large dressing and bandage, simple antiseptic cream and some simple pain management medications, tweezers and plasters (wound dressings) - personal prescribed medications, Keep it simple and know how to use them all

just my thoughts on the basics - everything else is probably luxury !!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

for camping with the wagon - then the world is your oyster !!
Space and weight are less of an issue so a bigger tent, sleeping platforms, thicker sleeping bags and heaters come into play ...
double burner cookers and fridges are also on the may have list... but the more you have then the more space it take and the longer it takes to set up and put away - and each item has an effect on the trip
Fridges for example - costly and large items. they are power hungry and can take over the trip when you need to keep them powered up with double batteries or site power all the time. (it may be better to pop to the shop regular instead ... )
we have the 110 set up with beds, cooker, sink wardrobe and air heater .. so don't need to spend much time in preparation and dont need to find space at home to store all the kit.
Awnings added to the side make the vehicle part of the experience and gives you a lockable secure place when you are not at your tent, and provide shelter when its not sunny Smile

Click image to enlarge

its all about how far your imagination goes and what you want to achieve. - KISS is the best way to go in my opinion, but with a little bit of comfort that goes a long way! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #491385 12th Jan 2016 1:21pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Post #491393 12th Jan 2016 1:54pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Well, if I'm on the push bike for a few days.......

Click image to enlarge
Post #491414 12th Jan 2016 3:22pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Some great gen. I have always packed light, possibly too light at times. Not a problem where shops are but a drive away! 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #491415 12th Jan 2016 3:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1