Home > In Car Electronics > Alpine KTP 445A location
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
integrale

New Zealand 
Alpine KTP 445A location

Click image to enlarge

I've ordered a "Stage 2" Defender speaker upgrade set for my new Heritage 90, but I'm technically challenged re audio installation. Can anyone advise what is the best location for the KTP 445A amplifier included in the kit? Also there are cross-over units which "feed" the upgraded under-dash speakers and replacement tweeters. Do I use the speaker cables from the current under-dash speakers and disregard the current tweeter cables? Thanks
Post #474768 21st Nov 2015 6:58am
ethanicus

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I'm getting one of thes units today so will let you know over the weekend where I found a home for it. However I'm sure someone will be along soon.

Re crossover, your current 10cm speaker cable terminates on the IN terminals, then run a new cable from wf to your 10cm speaker and then a new cable from tw to the 1inch tweeter.

You will need to change your terminals to fit the clamps if resistance fit.

Leave the original tweeter cable unconnected or remove completely.
Post #474771 21st Nov 2015 7:54am
Barney12

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
It will fit in a couple of places with the length of the standard cable but both are a fiddle and you also need to ensure you prevent rattles whilst not obstructing air flow (although in my testing it doesn't get that hot).

1. To the left of the HU in the void between the front dash facia and the glove box/shelf.
2. To the right of the HU in the void either to the right of the dash facia or behind the instrument cluster.

A much better longer term option in my view would be to extend the supplied cables and place it in the seat box under the drivers seat but I accept that's a lot of work.

To be really honest if you are genuinely technically challenged then it might be better to get a n ICE installer to do it as they are familiar with the fiddle, faff (and sharp edges) of what's involved.

HTH
Post #475068 22nd Nov 2015 10:00am
Yannis

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Mine is on the back of here;

Click image to enlarge

Once the centre dash pannel is removed, you can get your hand down to the area shown in the picture. If the passenger speaker is removed, you can get access from the other side as well.

My amp is Velcroed in with some of the strongest stickyback Velcro I have ever seen.

If your worried about it getting hot, I did a 10 hour drive with the music blasting the whole way and every now and again I checked the spot highlited in the picture and it never really got warm at all. It's not a massive amp and it's designed to be hidden behind a dash so unless it was mounted on the heater ducting I don't think heat will ever be a problem.

Hope this helps
Post #475812 24th Nov 2015 3:07pm
integrale

New Zealand 
Thanks for the replies and advice. I'm waiting for delivery of an opening glove box conversion kit (always waiting for deliveries ex UK here in NZ) and wonder whether it might provide a suitable home for the ampifier. Anyone who has fitted the glove box lid and can comment?
Post #476015 25th Nov 2015 10:44am
Yannis

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
I would save the glove box for storing "stuff" as the amp would nearly fill it!
Post #476021 25th Nov 2015 11:03am
Barney12

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I agree. In Yannis's picture you can see the void I was referring to in the right of the picture. You can also see the access flap below which gives access to it as well as from behind the center dash.
Two good options there so why waste your glove box besides its unlikely you'll ever need access to it once fitted.
Post #476023 25th Nov 2015 11:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1