↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Refurbishing my 200 year old cottage need advice on tiling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Triggerfinger

Scotland 
I didn't research tiles just looked at the price and said I have them

I got a pallet of tiles at a cracking price then the deliver driver nearly killed me with them, nearly off
the tail lift then told me his tail lift could only take 900kg the pallet weighted in at 1300kg
had to split the pallet & hand ball them in the Censored ing rain AAggggghhh

Ok Im getting into some tile talk now Laughing ive to back butter the tiles at 90 degrees

But need a notched trowel what depth square or u shape or angled getting more complicated as the night goes Laughing

Ive not started yet im thinking 1500 sounds a very good price indeed Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #474330 19th Nov 2015 8:30pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Post #474335 19th Nov 2015 8:42pm
Triggerfinger

Scotland 
Nice one matey il be getting the joining/levelling clips id say they will save a lot of time Thumbs Up
Post #474360 19th Nov 2015 9:32pm
Rickydodah

I'd strongly recommend a decoupling membrane such as Ditra and the like.

https://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/Schluter-DITRA-Matting I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #474411 19th Nov 2015 11:20pm
Triggerfinger

Scotland 
Interesting I have had 2 people out at the house now and neither has mentioned this type of material.

Thanks matey Thumbs Up
Post #474420 19th Nov 2015 11:45pm
jaydt

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I am a professional tiler and have been doing it for nearly 30 years. I would recommend not to tile on to any timber even though manufacturers say you can. I would recommend a product Called no more ply (6mm thick) cement board. If any uneaven areas then these can be made good with a leveling compound. The boards need priming with a sbr primer before any tiling or levelling and not to use pva.the best products for tiling at the moment is tilemaster.the levelflex leveling compound is fiber reinforced and flexible and can be tiled on in three hours or a 30 minute one is available. A minimum requirement for tiling in any of possible movement is a s1 polmer modified adhesive called settaflex or for a belt and braces job is to use a s2 adhesive called ultimate. Also a flexible grout is needed. Or you can use an antifracture /decoupling matting like dittra matting or tilemaster anti fracture matting which is only £6 per meter.
Post #474425 20th Nov 2015 12:16am
Rickydodah

Triggerfinger wrote:
Interesting I have had 2 people out at the house now and neither has mentioned this type of material.

Thanks matey Thumbs Up

As you only get one chance to get it right I find the additional cost and time worth it. It's great on wood, cement sheeting or solid substructure. A major benefit is that it can be laid on green concrete and leveller therefore saving time before it fully cures. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #474464 20th Nov 2015 9:42am
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
jaydt wrote:
I am a professional tiler and have been doing it for nearly 30 years. I would recommend not to tile on to any timber even though manufacturers say you can. I would recommend a product Called no more ply (6mm thick) cement board. If any uneaven areas then these can be made good with a leveling compound. The boards need priming with a sbr primer before any tiling or levelling and not to use pva.the best products for tiling at the moment is tilemaster.the levelflex leveling compound is fiber reinforced and flexible and can be tiled on in three hours or a 30 minute one is available. A minimum requirement for tiling in any of possible movement is a s1 polmer modified adhesive called settaflex or for a belt and braces job is to use a s2 adhesive called ultimate. Also a flexible grout is needed. Or you can use an antifracture /decoupling matting like dittra matting or tilemaster anti fracture matting which is only £6 per meter.

+ 1 Thumbs Up , do it right do it once Thumbs Up
Post #474475 20th Nov 2015 10:09am
Triggerfinger

Scotland 
Sound advice guys thanks very much !!

Ive got a trade point card hopefully Il save some penny's using it Thumbs Up
Post #474524 20th Nov 2015 12:15pm
jaydt

I would recommend using a slow set adhesive if you are planning on doing it yourself as most products are a two hour set and ain't really diy friendly as it's going off in the bucket before you get going. I would recommend a proper tile merchants for products as b and q etc is well over priced even within trade discount. Bal, bostic(bicem),mapei and tilemaster are top brands. Avoid the likes of norcross,palace and granfix as I throw this away if customer has supplied it and use my own at my expense.
Post #474530 20th Nov 2015 12:29pm
Triggerfinger

Scotland 
Thanks Matey I wont buy the fast set gear. Noted the material makes Wink

How far will 1 20kg bag cover??

Thumbs Up Do it right Do it once !!!!!
Post #474540 20th Nov 2015 1:02pm
jaydt

Depends on trowel used I personally use a 12 mm x 12 mm for large format and butter the back of tile for comple peace of mind.could be 3-4 meters per bag.joking aside my trade suppliers in the West Midlands do a lot of business online doing package deals to include deliver via pallet drops. Having just been in there and asked and they could palletise all the materials you need (no more ply etc) for usually around £40 -60. Postcode dependant.I can get you my trade discount also off the materials. Setaflex is around £12 (s1) and tilemaster ultimate (S2) £20.20 per 20kg. Hope this helps.
Post #474559 20th Nov 2015 1:49pm
Triggerfinger

Scotland 
Pm inbound Wink Do it right Do it once !!!!!
Post #474571 20th Nov 2015 2:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12