↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > help needed fitting red bison headlight loom
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nicholas2012

Scotland 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
help needed fitting red bison headlight loom
Hi am having issues after fitting this loom basically when i flip light stalk from full beam to dip or dipped to full the indicator/fog and trailer light comes dash lightz come on and is also interfering with speedo dial,
Has anybody else had similar issues?
Post #466293 25th Oct 2015 1:00am
alby

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Hmmm not sure, what it could be, first instinct says an earth fault somewhere.

Whats your vehicle, a puma or a td5?

recently fitted one of these too and had no bother with it apart from both of the supplied unbranded chinese relays not working, and looking like the sort of cheap tat that normally comes in a lucky bag or a blue box Twisted Evil . I had planned to swap them both for bosch ones anyway, so I wasnt too fussed, they just went in the bin rather than the spares box.

I have heard of people having odd things happen to their lights if they have the 'dreaded dim-dip' resistor fitted, usually fitted to commercial type defenders.

On an older defender i used to own I had a wire break where it was soldered to one of the terminals of the switch for the indicator/headlight stalk which caused all sorts of odd happenings with the lighting circuit.

Sorry can't be of much help.

edited to add:

i would suggest checking the connection where the boomslang loom plugs into the original land rover loom on the passenger side to make sure its tight.

I would also strongly suggest to check that the drivers side headlamp connector that is now redundant is properly secured, insulated and not rubbing on anything.
Post #466420 25th Oct 2015 5:20pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Are you talking about the lights coming on for just a split second?
Both my indicator indicators (hmm) on the dash briefly flash, albeit dimly, when I switch from full to dipped. I'd just put it down to lack of a flywheel diode on the relay and it's been on my to sort list for a while. I just haven't got round to it yet.
Post #466475 25th Oct 2015 7:26pm
nicholas2012

Scotland 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
Thanks for replys some good ideas to look into as wasn't doing this before fitting the loom.
Is like you describe Tom and both indicators lights flash on dash along with trailer light but is briefly and are all very dim

The relays do look quite cheap/chinese and say HID on top of them have got to say was quite disappointed with the loom for the money (added ductin on posive wire from battery) and didnt think the instructions were great either...

It a puma defender which does have dim dip but is unplugged at wing so shouldnt be an issue

Still abit baffled but good to know im not alone lol
Post #466515 25th Oct 2015 9:03pm
Daz

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Java Black
Hi nicolas2012 , I've fitted one of these with no problem , where did you take your live feed from I took mine from starter motor and earth from the bolt on bulkhead which carries all the other earths . cheers daz ..
Post #466516 25th Oct 2015 9:08pm
Landy-Novice

United Kingdom 
when i fitted mine, i extended the pos and neg wires so i could wire them both to the back of the alternater. not had any issues, even with the 90/130watt bulbs. Mr. Green Thumbs Up
Post #466566 25th Oct 2015 11:20pm
alby

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Have just noticed that mine does it too I don't drive in the dark much, but driving back home tonight it was darker (clocks changed) and yes it is noticeable, but just a very faint brief flicker. Weird.

Electrickery, tis witchcraft!!!
Post #466571 25th Oct 2015 11:32pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
If it's doing it for everyone, then that does suggest my assumption is correct.
Post #466661 26th Oct 2015 1:22pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
If it wasn't doing anything abnormal before you fitted the kit then either the kit is wrong/faulty or its not fitted correctly. Looking at the product several issues appear, there have been experience of wiring diagrams being incorrect with cables depicted actually being a different colour in the loom itself, people have fitted the wrong kit for their specific vehicle, the piece part items in this loom are cheap and inferior and fail from the onset.
The Landreiziger kit has a better success rate and better reviews. I'd send it back before you get too 'bogged down.'

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic26097....light+loom If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #466710 26th Oct 2015 4:24pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Both my dashboard indicator lights flicker when I switch from main to dip, too. Low power, very brief, and only from main to dip (not dip to main for some reason). My harness is built from scratch by myself with good quality (not Chinese) components, the main feed comes off the battery via a separate fuse.

I suspect that this is a common "feature" and not really a problem, though I am intrigued why it is happening, and why only on main to dip and not vv! It would be intersting to try diode-fitted relays, I might do so at some stage. It seems likely that it is caused by a switching transient of some kind.
Post #473464 17th Nov 2015 1:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1