↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Range Rover Classic Coil Suspension on a 2008 Defender.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
phn

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Range Rover Classic Coil Suspension on a 2008 Defender.
I'm looking to smooth out the ride on my 2008 90 Defender XS.

After asking around at the land rover show, one of the tuning companies there suggested putting the coil suspension off a range rover classic on the defender as a way to make the ride much smoother.

Having had a RR classic a long time ago, if it made it ride the same I'd be really happy!

Basically I was wondering, has anyone done this mod, and if so what were the results and costs?

Thanks for your help,

Philip.
Post #460204 4th Oct 2015 7:12am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
What they are actually saying is to fit springs which are softer like on an RR. Google lnd rover spring rates and you can see the difference. I'd also speak with gwyn Lewis as he can spec some based on your vehicle and usage.
Post #460211 4th Oct 2015 8:22am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
It will still pitch on bumps, all 90s do that. Will never ride like a RRC I'm afraid!

Softer springs will help take the shock out of bumps etc. but will compromise the load carrying ability.
Post #460255 4th Oct 2015 10:09am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
I've tried that on a 90 years ago don't do it the car pitches and wallows into corners , also you have problems with car being level . To make a better ride load it up a bit Thumbs Up
Post #460281 4th Oct 2015 11:48am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
You may achieve what you are looking for by fitting discovery 1 rear springs. They are slightly taller and a bit softer. They were the answer to my problem that when loading up for a foreign trip, the back end would noticeably drop when all the gear was in there. Now loaded is still nicely level. The softer ride was a side affect and makes it a lot more pleasant over speed bumps and potholes.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #460312 4th Oct 2015 1:48pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Have a quick search on here or on google...

I seem to remember seeing many posts saying thats its the shocks/dampers and not springs which will/can make for a better ride.

The ones which have the best recommendations are bilsteins or koni.
Post #460321 4th Oct 2015 2:07pm
EWS

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alveston Red
Hi.

I have fitted RR Classic springs along with Bilstein shocks ( Defender Td5 90 '06 with anti roll bars)

Used Bearmach brand springs as supplied for RR classic approx £30 each plus two front turret rings approx £10 each.

No discernable increase in roll on cornering, Some improvment in ride quality, not as great as we would wished for. You do get aprox 1 inch lift. So do not expect RR type ride , just an improvement

(Thoughts- removal of anti roll bars would probably make ride softer/increase roll/ may be affect handling ?????)

The Chevy pickup trucks we used in Saudi were back breakers when run empty, so we bolted in a 1 inch steel plate into the load bed, so the suspension would work !!!

We only travel two up and the wheelchair, so load carrying is not important, no noticable differnce when towing our 750kg light trailer. We also have Disable person lift (demountable with just a pillar in the footwell) fitted to the passenger side.

We bought a Defender for its longivity, we do not plan to buy another vehicle in my lifetime, and yes we use it and it gets dirty, and its kept clean .

Edward
Post #460391 4th Oct 2015 6:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1