↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Heavy towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jonno

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Heavy towing
Has anybody got much experience of heavy towing with the 2.4?

The last time I had a trailer on it was a tipper weighing about 1600 kg and it took a bit of getting moving on steep hills not too bad but a bit of clutch slip and a bit sluggish.

I might have to use the same trailer which weighs about 1000kgs to shift a 2000 kg generator.

Has anyone towed anything similar and was it acceptable or totally *nackering the car?

Jonno
Post #446610 16th Aug 2015 10:05pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We tow box trailers up to 3.5 tonnes.

Starting on steep hills you can use low box to get it moving.

On long inclines yes you can lose speed once you have got it moving. However a good remap done to help towing helped on that front.

Defenders are designed to tow and Land Rovers are rated at towing up to 3.5 tonnes so driven sensibly you should not 'knacker' your vehicle.

Brendan
Post #446617 16th Aug 2015 10:27pm
RustyM

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
The only very heavy towing I have generally done is off of the public highway. I have moved around 4,000kg weight of a trailer and load at slow speeds with a 2.2 110 no problem. Mostly on uneven ground, not sure what it would behave like on the roads at speed though Whistle 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Previously owned SI SII SIIa SIII & Light weight (air portable)
Post #446620 16th Aug 2015 10:30pm
scotia

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I tow a boat and trailer weighing 3 tonne without a problem. A comfortable speed is 50 mph as any faster than that, and taking into consideration the state of our roads, is just plain dangerous due to unexpected potholes and subsidence. It's no X5 or Range Rover in the power pulling stakes though.
Post #446623 16th Aug 2015 10:37pm
dozerman

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
I've towed 3.5 tonnes regularly with a number of Defenders, from 300tdi upto my current 2.2 puma. The latest (totally standard tune) is far and away the best/most competent that I've towed with. As already mentioned, use low box to get moving when pulling away uphill. Don't expect to win any drag races either... Once your rolling there is enough choice of high range gearing to keep you moving forwards easily enough. Be aware that a big trailer will boss a Defender around, particularly if badly loaded. Make sure you've got some nose weight acting on the Land Rover (I'd suggest 100kg as a minimum if towing 3 tonnes). If you are going anywhere near steep hills try and plan your route carefully - a heavy trailer will pull a stationary Land Rover backwards with all 4 vehicle wheels locked if the road surface has limited grip. Trailer brakes will not do anything in this situation and you become a passenger - it is not a nice experience!
Post #446625 16th Aug 2015 10:43pm
Jonno

Good advice there by all thank you.

I have always thought in ultimate torque terms in low range the defender is pretty much unbeatable, even if incredibly slow. However as said by others the power output is modest so in high range I don't expect miracles.

I think my approach will be use low range where needed and hopefully quickly get to a flat bit of road to avoid driving at silly slow speeds for too long. I don't fancy going from low box to high above about 5 mph.

Then sticking to say 45-50 mph tops.

I "only" need to drive about 50 miles so it's not going to be an extended torture....The trailer is tri axle so might help with stability, however will need to be careful about keeping the nose weight high.

Jonno
Post #446631 16th Aug 2015 10:54pm
dozerman

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
You should only need low first to get moving on all but the steepest roads - once rolling bang it into high range and continue in high first. Piece of cake, and no need to rev the nuts off it to keep moving with the traffic!
Post #446635 16th Aug 2015 11:07pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Also do you have the right licence to tow a 3.5 tonne trailer? Either by grand fathers rights or by passing the trailer test?

We have just put some of the 'hired friends' through the trailer test. Now he borrows the caravan. I suppose that is part of the 'hired friends' remuneration packet Whistle

Brendan
Post #446637 16th Aug 2015 11:08pm
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Agree fully with dozerman

Pulling close to 3 ton regularly and no problems at all. Mighty difference with the remap and intercooler but you don't need this for pulling these loads in normal situations. (or reasonable / responsible trailering)

Plan long ascents in advance, no way you are going to recover lost speed once it drops, better to maintain a lower speed at a lower gear than trying to regain speed.

Nose weight is really a BIG factor, especially with the tow hitch being too high to start with. Once pulled a S3 on a unknown rented cartrailer which had the front wheel stops welded fix too far from the front to create enough nose weight. A 300km nightmare where the trailer would start fishtailing at anything above 40km/h if the road was not perfect. Never again and with hindsight i should have left the trailer at the side of the road the first time it happened. It is no fun when you start seeing the front mask of the S3 in your side mirrors. Big Cry

Just saying the trailer will make a difference also. Our ifor williams horse box i can pull all day at any speed limit on any kind of road with no problems (no horses inside but a static load) it will move the car a bit when changing tramlines or ruts but nowhere as much as our van (traffic) or passenger car before.

Get it to speed as it goes and maintain that speed as long as the "train" wants to, if not slow down and get to that comfort spot at a lower gear and speed and you'll enjoy towing with the defender. Revving or pushing only wastes fuel and doesn't bring you anything in the long run.

my opinion Thumbs Up
Post #446638 16th Aug 2015 11:11pm
Jonno

leeds wrote:
Also do you have the right licence to tow a 3.5 tonne trailer? Either by grand fathers rights or by passing the trailer test?

We have just put some of the 'hired friends' through the trailer test. Now he borrows the caravan. I suppose that is part of the 'hired friends' remuneration packet Whistle

Brendan

Good point, I'm the grand father rights variety. However well aware of how things can go wrong so shall be taking it very easy shall we say !

Jonno
Post #446644 16th Aug 2015 11:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1