57%
 57%  [12]
Total Votes: 21

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
So many times I've heard in life 'this ones a keeper', whether it's a girlfriend or a car it just aint so.

You never know what is around the corner.

My point ... if you can afford it and you fancy it, go for it (this applies to girlfriends and cars).

You can always sell it on later (ok not the girlfriend), you can always go back to another XS - life's too short to procrastinate !

However, if it were me, I wouldn't go for the Adventure Edition, I personally don't think it is special enough to warrant the additional cost and I don't personally think it'll gain the status that the SV, 50th, SVX, Camel, G4 and Tomb Raiders have achieved, I think it'll be more at the level of the 65th which (in my opinion) were a bit of a damp squib.
Post #441283 29th Jul 2015 9:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Is Vic There

Australia 
I ordered a 90 adventure and then had second thought and got a price of a 90 to my own spec and tastes, sure it came in $10K cheaper but in a way it wasn't the same! So I confirmed my order of the Aventure and am looking forward to collecting her. Just felt that I'd miss out and kick myself when I finally cast my eyes on one, still not 100% sure but I'm sure I will be very happy on the day of collection. I plan to keep her as a retirement present to myself, always wanted one but have never been in a fortunate position to buy one, stuff it it'll all turn out right Very Happy
Post #441318 29th Jul 2015 11:10am
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Birdy wrote:

So that’s where the XS or Adventure question becomes answered… 99% wouldn’t know the difference, and they’d be more likely to laugh at an Adventure parked in the supermarket car park and outside the trendy Wine Bar than a shiny black SW. Real Pubs with real ale don’t count - no hotties to be found in ‘em, only beer bellies and bs!

Peter

Sorry Peter but this is the biggest load of rubbish I've read in a long time...

...everyone knows that when we poseurs want to go to the pub, Jeeves drops us off in the Rolls and collects us when one is decidedly inebriated; therefore, the Adventure would never be seen down the pub because I'd always be chauffeured there and back. Wink

Joking aside, I don't disagree with your comments. In fact, a few of them make up my reasoning for keeping the XS.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I like the look of the Adventure and I'll probably never use the full capabilities of my XS, let alone the Adventure.

I bought a Defender because of what it represented - iconic shape, old school (well not the electronics side) engineering and build and vehicle dynamics from a bygone era. I like quirky, off-beat, away from the norm things - I wear old mechanical watches and prefer rustic to modern. I probably could be considered a poseur because I don't need a Defender for the capability but bought it because of what it represents. Perhaps my only saving grace is that I bought it for what the car 'is' rather than thinking what it says about 'me'. Even so, I'm happy to admit that I like the style of it.

I use it on the weekends mainly and, again, in the spirit of full disclosure, it is a nice to have, not a have to have. I have a daily driver and the Defender was a box I wanted to tick before they killed UK production off. My children love it. My dog loves it; well, she loves the fact she can stick her head on my shoulder, then saunter to the back and look out the window, then snuggle up with the children, then repeat the process in a different order. It sure beats being behind a dog guard in the family car.

Not sure what the point of the above was, other than to admit that I like the look and don't really need the capabilities of the Defender. I live in a semi-rural location but that really doesn't justify it.

As before, thanks for all the comments and opinions - it helps and is interesting to hear others people's take on the decision making process.
Post #441338 29th Jul 2015 11:54am
YOLO110

Australia 
Nice one!

I agree totally with your thinking... even on Ozzy cold fizzy beer! Laughing YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #441339 29th Jul 2015 11:55am
Mr Fox

Go Beyond wrote:
So many times I've heard in life 'this ones a keeper', whether it's a girlfriend or a car it just aint so.

Very true.

There are at least two chaps on here that I know from another forum - the other forum we belong to is one of the best examples of 'this is a keeper', only to see it up for sale/trade within a few weeks.

Men, in particular, are fickle beasts.

Again, in the spirit of honesty, I reserve the right to sell whatever Defender I have Very Happy . Nevertheless, I do believe the Adventure feels like it would be more likely to be a 'keeper' than a standard one; if only because it would be more of a challenge to replace than a XS SW.
Post #441340 29th Jul 2015 11:58am
ken

United Kingdom 
Just what do you have to Justify ? Thumbs Up
Post #441341 29th Jul 2015 12:00pm
Mr Fox

YOLO110 wrote:
Nice one!

I agree totally with your thinking... even on Ozzy cold fizzy beer! Laughing

Should probably also say that I think most modern music is rubbish - especially the stuff with the guys talking through it, mainly about the 'po-lease, bee-atches, hoes and money'. Mr. Green
Post #441343 29th Jul 2015 12:01pm
Mr Fox

ken wrote:
Just what do you have to Justify ? Thumbs Up

Nowt but chatting about it in the virtual pub helps the thought process. Thumbs Up
Post #441344 29th Jul 2015 12:02pm
YOLO110

Australia 
AM94 wrote:
YOLO110 wrote:
Nice one!

I agree totally with your thinking... even on Ozzy cold fizzy beer! Laughing

Should probably also say that I think most modern music is rubbish - especially the stuff with the guys talking through it, mainly about the 'po-lease, bee-atches, hoes and money'. Mr. Green

Once again, I agree! Very Happy YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #441347 29th Jul 2015 12:12pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
I'd keep your current one.

If the choice was XS90 and Adventure 110 then obviously I'd say the Adventure - although I am biased towards the LWB! 2005 110 XS - Cairns Blue "Bertha" - Gone, and sorely missed
Post #441348 29th Jul 2015 12:17pm
Mr Fox

Don't need a 110 because I already have a decent sized car I can use for hauling people and gear.

I'm still on the fence but do need to make a decision ASAP.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure. Rolling Eyes
Post #441642 30th Jul 2015 11:52am
Mr Fox

Thank you to all those who took the time to comment on this thread; I thought it only fair that I wrap it up with my decision.

I thought long and hard about whether to take the Adventure slot but a couple of reasons brought me back to keeping my XS.

Firstly, to get the best price for my XS, I'd have had to have given it up now and that would have meant being without a Defender for at least four months. It isn't my daily driver but I've gotten used to using it on the weekends and although it is a luxury, it is one I'd like to keep.

Secondly, I was struggling to justify the uplift in price to myself. Had I not bought the XS, the Adventure would have made sense but my XS is a good one, I've had it 'Zagato'd' and I didn't feel I was getting enough value for the difference in price between my XS and the Adventure.

Lastly, I bought the Defender to use for all the things I didn't want to use my daily-driver for: mucky large dog, even muckier children, light duty in our paddock, etc. I was concerned that I might get precious about the Adventure and whilst I take care of the XS, I do use it for all the things I had intended to use it for.

So, in the end, the XS won. If anyone is interested in a December Adventure 90 slot, PM me, I may know where one is - if they haven't already sold it on.

To the XS, I'm sorry for having unfaithful thoughts; as penance, I may be treating it to some 'upgrades' Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Mr Fox on 5th Aug 2015 10:18am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #443314 5th Aug 2015 9:53am
YOLO110

Australia 
Well!

That is a lovely looking Defender XS mate!

A nice 'keeper'!

Good decision! Cool YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #443325 5th Aug 2015 10:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12