↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Started having bad thoughts about buying a S2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 24 <123 ... 101112 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Just my opinion but I think that bonnet is too far gone, I would repaint it if it were mine. The rest of the body shows natural patina and use/wear, the bonnet was obviously either not painted properly or exposed to some kind of excessive damage or overuse, which is why it looks how it does. I think you repainted the bulkhead and rad panel so I don't think repainting the bonnet would detract from the vehicle at all.

As I say, just my opinion, its a very nice truck in either case. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #439154 20th Jul 2015 7:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
A couple of different pictures for those who like a bit of originality. The owner's manual, list of Rover dealers, free service card and instructions for fitting and operating the Lucas Screen Spray:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

And the glass indicator and sidelight lenses:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #439268 21st Jul 2015 9:57am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Love the paperwork! Thumbs Up 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #439703 22nd Jul 2015 8:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
miles, I've just read this thread from start to finish, & I congratulate you on your skill, and your magnificent approach to originality (LOVE the books, manuals etc), BUT, I'd be painting the bonnet, etc.
Look, I know virtually nothing about the LandRover model you have rebuilt, but you have done such a magnificent job of the chassis, bulkhead etc etc, and all of the other parts that you have rebuilt, for the life of me, I reckon you should be making the body & external bits as good as the mechanicals, which are now "New".
Just my thoughts.
What a wonderful job you've done. Pickles.
Post #439784 23rd Jul 2015 12:01am
milesr3

Thanks Pickles. It's a very tricky decision making process. The original plan was always to leave as many of the Birmabright body panels as untouched as possible. I've not posted as many pictures here as I have on the Series 2 Club Forum, but if you look back to how it looked before I started you can see a lot of genuine wear and tear on the wings, doors and sills:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

The rear tub is a bit different because this has had a couple of bumps which have been filled and painted a dull green (non DBG) colour in an attempt to match the rest of the faded paintwork. You can see that the colour match was not great on the nearside and the paint was peeling off due to poor preparation:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

In this regard, I am thinking of the rear tub much like the chassis, bulkhead or radiator panel; it needs to be stripped, repaired and re-painted DBG. As an aside, I did experiment with paint matching, but neither of the two tins I got matched against the old paintwork were the right hue. New DBG is an exact match for paint that has not been exposed to UV, like under the hinges on the bulkhead vent flaps and looks right in daylight against the faded/darkened old DBG.

With the rear tub repainted, I'll clean and polish up the old paint on the doors and sills and the intention is to transfer the skins from the door tops onto a new pair of frames. I don't want it to look like a new vehicle and IMO the witness marks and patina on these parts are all genuine and should be kept. There are plenty of over-restored, show-winning vehicles out there already! I have an inkling that the originality will pay dividends in the future too as there are fewer unmolested, matching numbers vehicles left. It would have been perfect if the bonnet had retained more of its paint, just because it would have looked better for it, but it hasn't and I think it will probably be best left as it is. Once painted it cannot be unpainted.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #439885 23rd Jul 2015 2:28pm
milesr3

You do have a good point about the relative level of effort that has gone into the chassis and bulkhead compared to the bodywork though. I've been looking back through a few old pictures and this one probably gives a good idea of where the hard work was:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Even to get it to the point of identifying where repairs were required:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

In an odd kind of way it has always been my intention for anyone peering underneath the scruffy bodywork to be pleasantly surprised by how good it looked, rather than having a shiny new paint job hiding a multitude of sins. I'm sure that with use the underside is going to blend into the relatively untouched bits as well. In a few years it will probably all look well used again.

I also think that it can be difficult to know when to stop restoring something and it would have been easy to have carried on stripping everything back to bare metal. There are bits that I took off thinking 'that needs painting' but when I picked them up again they looked better than I remembered; the frame on the underside of the bonnet is a good example.

Maybe I'm just worn out...

Post #439917 23rd Jul 2015 4:32pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
miles, thanks for your "understanding" reply.
I sure wasn't telling anyone how to suck eggs!
I still believe you'd be better of "Finishing the job" (in my eyes!!), but of course I do realize that in your & most others eyes, YOU HAVE!
Anyway, once again, TOP JOB.
Pickles.
Post #440016 23rd Jul 2015 11:17pm
milesr3

Back from 2 weeks sitting in the sun and got stuck into making a repair panel for the offside rear corner from a sheet of 18-gauge NS4 aluminium:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Etch primed and bonded in place:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Also tidied up and patched the inner surface of a tear in the nearside rear corner:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

And a 3" square patch where the PO had fitted an LPG filler nozzle:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #444580 9th Aug 2015 6:50pm
Limey

Italy 
I've been enjoying popping back to this thread from time to time and wanted to comment quickly on the difficult decision about repainting various panels.

I've got an S3 109 Safari Wagon and my paintwork isn't perfect. The Light Green parts of my 109's body were repainted, probably about 10 or 15 years ago (judging by the way that the bonnet and wing tops etc. are already faded and dull). But my Limestone roof has never been repainted and therefore has various parts where it's worn through to the bare Birmabright.

As a result, the roof has far more charisma than the body, and I dont plan on ever repainting it. I've gently used cutting paste and waxed it, mainly because any bird poo otherwise seems to weld itself to the paint, which ends up removing even more of the Limestone colour, when you try and wash their droppings off.
Whereas now that it's got a protective coat of wax, the bird poo just rinses off easily, leaving my precious paint in tact.

The point being that like you said, once you've painted it, you can never unpaint it. And IMHO my imperfect but original roof paint (and interior) is one of the best features of my old wagon.

Perhaps the most relevant question is regarding your long term plan. Painting it at this point would be relatively simple and if you're ever likely to sell it, then the 'average' buyer would probably pay more money for a glossy trailer queen. But if you plan on keeping it for your own long-term pleasure, then that consideration isn't relevant.

Click image to enlarge
Post #444810 10th Aug 2015 11:10am
milesr3

I finished the repairs to the rear tub, using as little filler as possible to blend in the offside corner:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

And the tear in the nearside corner:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Sprayed on a coat of etch primer:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

And you can now really see some of the wrinkles that were hidden under the old filler:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

The first coat of highbild primer has done a good job of filling and levelling some of the minor imperfections:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

And the offside corner is now an invisible repair:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Still a few wrinkles though, but at least you can see all the spot welds again:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #446176 14th Aug 2015 7:11pm
jonnyboy

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Love this thread. Just got my 88 and this is the same vain I'm thinking of going. Going for the "shabby chic" look

Great job and please keep the photos coming.
Post #446219 14th Aug 2015 9:35pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Yeah, I love it too.. Limey's 109 is fab too Cool
Love the safari roof.
Post #446238 14th Aug 2015 11:43pm
milesr3

I got the first coat of highbild flatted off, which levelled a lot of the scratches that were in the Birmabright to help the old filler adhere. With a second coat it was completely smooth. Just about time today to get the first coat of DBG Tekaloid enamel on:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #446350 15th Aug 2015 6:21pm
Ellisboy

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Thumbs Up nice job.
Post #446377 15th Aug 2015 9:32pm
milesr3

I got the first coat of Tekaloid wet flatted and the second coat on:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

I'm pleased with the colour as I had my doubts about such a large area of new paint but couldn't have lived with the old olive grey colour and 1/4" of cracked filler. There is a very slight texture to the finish:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #446489 16th Aug 2015 2:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 24 <123 ... 101112 ... 222324>