United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Link seems to be corrupted? unless the problem is at my end
Post #433853 26th Jun 2015 7:01pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Post #433890 26th Jun 2015 9:12pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Should be perfect viewing conditions today. Might see if we can get to Doncaster for the takeoff - there's great viewing opposite the terminal buildings on the opposite side of the runway Thumbs Up
Post #433960 27th Jun 2015 8:29am
Alex1976

England 
I will be down at wellesbourne tomorrow afternoon to see the Vulcan. I grew up near RAF Finingley ( now Doncaster airport ) and remember these deafening me as they roared overhead. It will be good to see them one last time.
Post #433970 27th Jun 2015 9:26am
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Not sure what happened with my original link........

In theory, I should be right on the flight path as it heads north from Hendon to Duxford Smile Td5 110 HD Hardtop.......not quite standard Smile
Post #433972 27th Jun 2015 9:31am
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Where are you parking up Alex? I want to come and see it at Wellsbourne. I watched XM655 highseed taxi but had to leave before XH558 flew over. www.td5.org
Post #433979 27th Jun 2015 10:06am
MaxRPM

England 
We're off to Cosford shortly to see it, only five miles down the road.
Post #434019 27th Jun 2015 2:19pm
me@td5.org

People could probably combine seeing the Vulcan with the Gaydon Land Rover show which was very quiet today. www.td5.org
Post #434024 27th Jun 2015 2:40pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
sadly not coming down our way ... what a shame ... Big Cry Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #434042 27th Jun 2015 4:07pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
They will fly over your house...for a fee & it's actually quite reasonable considering the actual costs involved.

Seriously last chance to see it fly this year so I hope everyone has planned in their viewing Thumbs Up
Post #434044 27th Jun 2015 4:13pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Whilst the sight of the Vulcan can for some be awe inspiring every year seems to be the last?

From an old thread....

K9F wrote:
Wonder if the refurb is 'on tick?'

I spent 32 years in the RAF and was at Marham when these and the Victor Tankers were still operational. Each and every year the funding for this iconic Cold War aircraft is seriously in debt and the begging bowl has to be continually rattled. With creditors such as Marshalls of Cambridge generously writing off £415k of debt a couple of years ago. Also they rely heavily of time donated free by serving aircraft engineers to 'assist.'

It is emotive to me as it truly is an unforgettable sight but people do tire of continual announcements of threats to stop it flying and continuing to donate just to be disappointed when it doesn't appear.

My post to the Bournemouth Echo 2009....

I was fortunate enough to see this aircraft take off from my place of work this week, and what an awe inspiring sight it was! Many people have dug deep to donate to keep this aircraft in the air. Last year due to unserviceabilty it did not reach public expectation, failing to show at several events. Revenue could suffer if this trend continues as people are not prepared to donate to something that does not deliver. Let's hope it can 'step up to the mark' this year.

Bournemouth Echo 2010....

There has indeed been much debate about the Vulcan and the fact that it appears that the fundraisers appear to permanently 'have cap in hand' metaphorically speaking. I do indeed have my own views, nevertheless here are a few choice comments from a Vulcan thread on another website, you can make your own minds up;

It seems that the plea for funding for the Vulcan seems to be becoming an annual event (if not more regular).

They need more money eh? Oh there's a shock, not! Many predicted this the last time they launched an appeal.

Much as I am pleased to see the Vulcan flying, if it cannot become self supporting then I think its days are going to be few.

You only have to look at the Permit to Fly fiasco at Waddington for proof of their lack of competence.

I know the "funds" don't yet exist, but my point was that there are better things in this world to "donate" money to rather than keeping an ancient hunk of junk up in the air.

I’m sure Headley Court and Selly Oak could use that money a lot better than the Vulcan fund could.

At a time when finances are tight for many, I'm afraid this falls way down the list of priorities.

Enough said!

Bournemouth Echo 2010....

As a footnote almost 25% of revenue namely £592,000 goes on 'overheads, administration and management costs' and 'staff costs excluding aircrew!'
How many people actually work full time and what are their salaries? A little more detail woulds be nice! Just an honest query from an historic donator!

Today....

It seems that yet again they are desperate for money....believe they had Lottery Funding donation too..... Whistle

There were vague rumours Concorde was going to make a reappearance a few years ago too.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic24022.html?highlight=vulcan If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #434058 27th Jun 2015 5:11pm
me@td5.org

Keeping her in the air as a civilian owned aircraft is unsustainable. The BBMF was established only 11 years after the end of WW2. Surely the RAF would be better placed to maintain and conserve our military aviation history. Our obsession with WW2 blurs our perspective. Plans like the Vulcan are testament to our countries engineering prowess. In addition to that, if it's the airframe that is limiting the life, maybe they should move onto those surviving examples that might be in better shape. www.td5.org
Post #434075 27th Jun 2015 6:28pm
MaxRPM

England 
Went to see it fly over Cosford today, mahoosive crowd just there to see the flyover. The Vulcan made about six fly pasts including two at low level followed by a vertical climb and roll. Absolutely awesome.
Post #434099 27th Jun 2015 8:17pm
Hifonics

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Its classed by the CAA as a complex aircraft and the airframe has now done 10% more hours than next. This means it's into the unknown and so no one knows what's going to fail next and what parts are suseptible to fatigue. At least another generation have experienced it first hand.
Post #434107 27th Jun 2015 8:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>