↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Air locking the doors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Air locking the doors
As some of you know I am converting a 130 into an overland camper. I have integrated an AFN canopy to the rear of the vehicle. So now the rear of the vehicle has three opening doors and the original drop down tail gate making a fourth door.

The three upward opening canopy doors have basic locks that I suspect can be forced open (I have not tried as I don't want to damage anything) The original tail gate as you all know is not lockable.
See below a pic of the rear doors open.

Click image to enlarge

As I have fitted a compressor and air tank I have decided to take advantage of this. What I'm going to do is fit Pneumatic Cylinders into the door frames so when operated via a pneumatic switch the pistons will extent from the cylinder into the doors thus locking them Thumbs Up

The intention is to fit two cylinders (one each side) to each door including the drop down tail gate. The cylinders will 'open and close' when a hidden two position toggle valve is manually operated.

This is the type of Pneumatic Cylinder I'm using

Click image to enlarge

I also hope to pipe/wire up an air operated toggle relay that will light up a red or green Led light that will show at a glance the position of the locks.

As this progresses and if successful I may also fit more cylinders to include the 1st and 2nd row doors.

I have thought about fitting an electrically operated two way air valve to operate the cylinders. The electrical supply will be from the open and close from the central locking. However I think I could be biting off more than I can chew by attempting this. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #427267 30th May 2015 5:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Could you not maybe use regular door locking actuators then modify them and add a locking mech that they can lock / unlock.
No doubt those cost a fortune though...

Just an idea, hard to think about unless you see what your actually dealing with.
Post #427269 30th May 2015 5:28pm
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
That'll confuse the pikeys Laughing

However, what if you run out of air and can't unlock it? 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #427277 30th May 2015 5:59pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
so if you lose air pressure do you get locked in or out? Mr. Green
Post #427328 30th May 2015 10:34pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
I imagine for UK road safety purposes you'd need to have a system where the doors failed safe, so they unlocked in the event of a crash... Although if you could get away with it, the better system would be akin to railway brakes - the doors are locked by default and a vacuum created to unlock them, as the power is only required to create the vacuum for the relatively short period of time when the door goes from the open to shut (or vice versa) position.
I'm sure there could be a way to conceal an override valve or something in case you got locked in or out.
Post #427350 30th May 2015 11:26pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
To answer the above few comments:-

custom90steve Regular door locking actuators are too expensive and it would take a lot of engineering to make them work and I don't think there is room enough.

Gareth The air tank outlet can also be used to fill the tank should it be required.

mikeh501 The cylinders are not spring loaded either way so they will remain in the last position selected should an air loss situation arise. So I could get locked out (if I include the front doors) or not be able to lock the doors if air is lost. Perhaps I should hide a foot pump on the vehicle should an air loss situation occur Thumbs Up

bluebottle The rear doors on the side open to an area that is not accessible to the main interior of the truck ie it opens to shelving, the rear upward opening door and tailgate would be difficult to access as an escape route in the event of a crash. Also the 'air door locks' will only be operated whilst the car is parked and locked, not whilst on the move or with operatives inside. So I'm not concerned about the 'failed safe' requirement. With regard the the vacuum option, the doors will be open for long periods when on site so I don't think this will be viable.

For clarification the 'air door locks' are only there as a layer of security for when the vehicle is parked in a vulnerable situation as the AFN supplied rear key operated door locks are not good enough IMO. Please also note that the tailgate doesn't even have a lock. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #427431 31st May 2015 10:28am
trackm90

United Kingdom 
A few thoughts, during the eighties I built several air locking systems for vehicles with valuable cargo etc. Very simple and reliable. The air cylinder piston rod is used a a bolt between door and frame. If two cyls are used or one driving several bolts on land rover doors, it prevents them being stolen even if hinges are removed! there are several ways of being able to provide an overide in event of failure. If you want small cylinders have a look at Clippard pneumatic s.
Post #427518 31st May 2015 4:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1