Home > Wheels & Tyres > Cooper ST Maxx Review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Cooper ST Maxx Review
Thought I'd report back...

After a couple of months using the tyres I have to say I am maybe starting to regret my decision.

The main reason for this is that I tried to justify the little off-roading I do and some of the places I go to have that little extra grip I'd need the ST Maxx over an all-terrain such as the BF Goodrich or Cross Contact.

In reality the extra noise these tyres make on the road is wearing me down a little. I wasn't expecting silence but they've definitely got nosier as they've worn in. This won't bother most people, but I thought I'd mention it as it bothers me.

I had a lot of trouble balancing them in the beginning, finally got there but now they seem to be going out of balance again (I've checked and all the weights seem to be there still).

As Litch mentioned in another post, I'm also finding them quite harsh. Currently running 30 front 36 rear on a 110 Utility Wagon. Initially this felt really good, but as they've worn in they seem to have become harder (if that makes sense). I don't feel I can drop the rears any lower as they already look like I'm using all the tread in contact with the road.

I guess my biggest issue with them though is motorway driving, I'm probably being over cautious but if the road is even slightly wet I'm very nervous about running at 70mph for any length of time. I haven't had a bad experience with them as such, but I do find them quite skittish when hitting undulations in the road at that speed. The wet just makes me more paranoid, especially when the kids are on board. This is something I never felt with the BF Goodrich AT's. They also get extremely hot, I've even tried raising the pressures but it's not helped, I'm guessing this is due to the open tread.

Just to level up the argument a bit these are great off road - definitely better than any AT I've tried and very close to it's bigger brother the ST in terms of performance.

Sadly, as I've ended up doing a lot more motorway driving than I thought I would, I'm wishing I went for the Cross-Contacts or the BFG AT's now - isn't hindsight a wonderful thing! If you do genuinely need them for off road use, or you don't spend a lot of time on the motorway though don't let my review put you off!!! Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #427324 30th May 2015 10:22pm
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Good review Ozzie. Thumbs Up

Interestingly though, having changed from BFG ATs to ST Maxxs, I found the BFGs to be WORSE in the wet than the STs.
I can agree they are a slightly louder though, but to be expected with a much more aggressive pattern. Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #427343 30th May 2015 11:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1