Home > Technical > Vin number Question- looking up my vehicle parts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Vin number Question- looking up my vehicle parts
Hi guys,

I'm trying to look up and price a kit for my defender front swivel (as I suspect it to be warn)

All the kits I can find seem to be from KA93 onwards.

Mine is HA90 and I cannot seem to find any mention of a swivel kit for it and don't want to buy a ebay special which arrives full of blue boxes.

Can anyone assist with what parts I need or where to look? I'd prefer a kit if possible?

Also, having been driving around like this for possibly months (at least since last MOT in august) with no ill effects, is it still safe to use next week while parts arrive? Or should I leave it at home for a week and slog it out on the train Sad

Thanks as always Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #425751 23rd May 2015 5:34pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
How worn is it? Unless it's slopping about all over the place then it is unlikely to let go on you any time soon, though you could get some steering shimmy as the preload will be wrong.

As for getting parts, just pull the numbers out of the parts catalogue and order what you need. I'm always suspicious of any kit that isn't a proper Land Rover one, chances are they'll have cheap nasty parts in. I did actually buy a pair of Britpart swivel balls when I did mine ~5 years ago and they have been fine, though if you're are ok there's no need to swap them. Mine were pitted to hell so I had no choice. With any luck your upper/lower swivel pins will be ok as well and you'll be able to get away with just changing the lower bearing and upper railko bush.

If you must have a kit they are here (but will be Britpart and therefore s***e):

http://www.paddockspares.com/parts-and-acc...-back.html

Don't forget EP90 to fill them again afterwards.
Post #425755 23rd May 2015 5:42pm
shaggydog

I only noticed it because I had the wheel up in the air today to adjust my steering stops.

When I dropped the drivers side wheel back down I noticed the wheel deflect. I jacked it back up and gave it a rock and sure enough click clunk click clunk.

Now, is it wheel bearing or swivel bearings?

Was rocking at 12-6 o'clock with a notable clunk which may explain my weird tier wear here

Click image to enlarge

But it was also having a bit of a rock at 3-9 o'clock which is usually wheel bearings?

I don't know Confused

Typically everywhere is closed so I can't go and get parts or have a second opinion Banging Head

The swivel housing and ball are ok I believe but now I know its there.....its bugging me. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #425757 23rd May 2015 5:50pm
martinfiattech

England 
Sorry I can`t help you with your problem. But reading your post, by what you say is there is play at the wheel at 3, and 9 o`clock. Would it be worth checking your steering ball joints, for end float. I`am also some what at loss as what the chassis numbers mean.

After a recent spate of electrical gremlins, (the eml is still out) I would like to check thru my 90`s engine wiring loom. I`ve got a copy of

Electrical Wiring Diagrams
Defender (RHD)
VIN: 751063 >

As my chassis is BA407.....

I`am left wondering is this of any use to me Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #425788 23rd May 2015 9:21pm
Greggster

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Alpine White
shaggydog wrote:
I only noticed it because I had the wheel up in the air today to adjust my steering stops.

When I dropped the drivers side wheel back down I noticed the wheel deflect. I jacked it back up and gave it a rock and sure enough click clunk click clunk.

Now, is it wheel bearing or swivel bearings?

Was rocking at 12-6 o'clock with a notable clunk which may explain my weird tier wear here

Click image to enlarge

But it was also having a bit of a rock at 3-9 o'clock which is usually wheel bearings?

I don't know Confused

Typically everywhere is closed so I can't go and get parts or have a second opinion Banging Head

The swivel housing and ball are ok I believe but now I know its there.....its bugging me.

Sounds like you've nailed it, hub bearings and swivel bearings need adjusting or replacing. These bank holidays are annoying aren't they, I need brake parts but can't get them until next week Big Cry
Post #425806 23rd May 2015 10:09pm
shaggydog

Its a weird dichotomy the bank holiday.

Yes they are brilliant because you can have an extra day off to do what you want and you can get more projects done or have fun in the sun (HA!) or just relax and sit in the garden.

But it also means what you find on the first day of your bank holiday means it wont be fixed for another day by which time you wont be able to do anything about it Laughing

Thanks martin for the pointer, do you know the process as I am unfamiliar with it?

Hope you manage to slay your electrical gremlins! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #425813 23rd May 2015 11:00pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
To find out if it is wheel bearing or swivels that are loose, jack up the offending wheel and get an assistant to put their foot firmly on the brake pedal. This will stop any play in the wheel bearing so if you still get the clunking and play when rocking the wheel you know it is from the swivel and how bad it is. It might be that most of the play is in the wheel bearing and only a small amount from the swivel.
Post #425830 24th May 2015 5:28am
shaggydog

I think I have nailed it as the Swivel bearings Thumbs Up

Does anyone have part numbers/where I can look them up of what bits I need?

From memory Is it only the top Swivel Pin, special top Bush, bottom pin, bottom Bearing.

Do you need to do the rear swivel seal too or is that just a nice to do thing?

One shot grease?

Oem or genuine?

All advice gratefully received as parts need to be orderd for doing this week Bow down Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #426384 26th May 2015 12:57pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi Shaggy

Here's the link to LRcat showing the parts for chassis up to KA930455

http://new.lrcat.com/#!/1228/7048/7116/648

When it comes to bearings and steering parts I always try to use genuine (or a better equivalent)

HTH

Thumbs Up 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #426792 28th May 2015 6:22am
shaggydog

Thank You Jomara Thumbs Up

Have managed to track down all the bits I think I need, just need to get on with it! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #426912 28th May 2015 6:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1