↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Picking up the new beast in 10 Days - What to check for?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cadence

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Picking up the new beast in 10 Days - What to check for?
After a couple of 'sorry the build date has gone back' calls from the dealer, my new 110XS is now arriving ahead of the original schedule!!!!!!

This is my first Defender so I'm not sure what potential build issues to look out for on the handover. I have heard that it's a good idea to check for cracks in the roof near the windscreen where some roof panels have been over tightened.

Any other potential production issues to look out for apart from the usual dings, scratches etc?

Excited already Very Happy

Cheers
Post #425804 23rd May 2015 10:04pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Have a good look around the vehicle, check for swarf and loose bolts.

Also have a good touch up of the carpet and make sure nothing is damp as can indicate a leak.

Otherwise, drive it as much as you can and enjoy it!

The more you use it the more reliable it is!

And most importantly, take some pics and fit some security! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #425812 23rd May 2015 10:54pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Congrats on your imminent arrival.

Take your time when you go to collect it and don't get caught in the emotion of the moment, and check it over with a level head. Plenty of time to go mad afterwards.

Like shaggydog said swarf and loose fixings. Especially around the rear passenger doors after they fit the body panel post spraying (follow the unpainted line of rivets). Do the doors close without excess slamming? Are all the extras in place you ordered/paid for? I suppose most importantly is it actually what you ordered?

Water leaks will appear over time. The bumpy ride, rattles, creaks and bangs are all included in the price as are the number of car parks you never realised before now that are only 1.9m high and the need for surgery to make your right elbow fit puts your BUPA cover to good use. Welcome to the life of a Defender owner.n Laughing

But best of all enjoy every minute of it, there's nothing else on earth like it Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #425814 23rd May 2015 11:09pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Enjoy and don't worry too much about the handover.

It will need trips back to the dealer for warranty work, just accept this and even try to enjoy it. Dealerships are not bad places to while away a few hours looking at nice vehicles and drinking nice coffee.
Post #425842 24th May 2015 8:03am
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Good luck and enjoy! I was in the same boat as you 2 months ago. It's a great experience getting a new car, especially one of these beasts! I am new to the defender and I am really enjoying the ownership. I have done 3000 miles now and all with happy smiles!! Only slight hicup is the leak in the back! Not sure exactly where yet, but it pools under the bulkhead removal bar. (Seems only when drive in the wet. Doesn't leak with rain on the car) But, I am sure it's cureable and as other have sAid, is considered part of the experience.
Get some rust protection ( I used dinitrol) and some layered security. 👍😄 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #425876 24th May 2015 10:42am
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Off Topic

^^^ I have got the exact same leak, only appears when driving in the rain. Think it must be a gap in a panel edge somewhere but it still eludes me !!

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #425879 24th May 2015 10:57am
Cadence

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Thanks everyone for the tips & insight into ownership.

Have booked the car in with Zagato for a full rust proofing job the week after I collect.

Off on the factory tour two days before I collect so I'll look out for some of the build points mentioned.

The XS has a standard alarm and immobiliser and there's an Ardcase On its' way to me. Hoping that will be enough as I park behind electric gates at home. Security bonnet hinges? Still undecided.
Post #425882 24th May 2015 11:13am
ChrisJ

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Just to put your mind at ease a little maybe, I collected my new build 90xs last weekend (just in the middle of writing a detailed update to my Defender topic).

I have found the build quality very impressive on my 90, not something that's read a lot about Defenders, I have found no points yet to worry or complain about. Trim, dash, body panels etc are all fitted nicely and tight. No stand out squeaks or rattles other than the usual.

As already said make sure you have a good look over it, but I think you will be pretty chuffed on collection day.

Chris
Post #425913 24th May 2015 2:57pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I'd say have a look under the car to see if they have correctly fixed the floor panel.
Almost every clip was placed next to the hole where the screws went in. Luckily they correctly fitted the seat base otherwise the floor panel would be completely lose in the car. 😋
Easy to fix yourself though.
Post #425915 24th May 2015 3:09pm
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I agree with Chris. The build quality seems to be very good. (Apart from my water leak that I have now had some excellent advice about! Thanks). The inside doesn't rattle or squeek. Doors shut well and when moving it all seems solid.
The dashboard seems very well put together. Anyway. I wish you an excellent ownership experience. Very Happy 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #425946 24th May 2015 6:11pm
BarryT

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
ChrisJ, have you got photos of your new 90 CSW as I'm test driving a 90 CSW in the next few days and if I place an order I'm thinking of Coris as the colour. It would be good to see what your's looks like, are you pleased with the vehicle and your choice of colour??

BarryT
Post #426012 24th May 2015 11:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1