Home > Technical > New XS Rusting problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rugbyball

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
New XS Rusting problem
Hi All

Your opinions appreciated please before I take on the LR Corporate world….

My Defender XS is 2 months old and whilst I am as proud as punch to own this icon of ours I have had a few issues already.

I won't go through the various problems that I’ve had – mechanical failure and mis build issues (only brings me out in the sweats) but there is one I would appreciate your opinion on.

I have contacted my dealer (Colliers, Birmingham) about sorting the issue of what appears to be severe rusting coming from the dealer fitted NAS bumper to the rear. Pictures below. I know the cars can leave the factory already rusting but this seems excessive after 2 months

This was a part the dealer took two weeks to obtain delaying the hand over of my vehicle and I am wondering what might be the cause of this severe ‘rusting’.

No matter how many times I wash it off – it will look like this after every drive and its getting worse.

When I contacted the dealer they tell me they will want to keep the car for a week and a half in order that they can take photos and take it up with LR directly before fixing it. Seems nonsense to me and I cant say I am overly impressed with their wish to restore my faith in LR after so many issues in 2 months!

Any thoughts/advice appreciated

Thanks

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2015 Overfinch Defender XS 90
1998 50th Anniversary V8
1989 90 CSW
Many Discoveries...
Post #425497 22nd May 2015 10:03am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Hi
I would say the rear step has quite a bit of water inside it!
If it were me I would be asking for it to be replaced under warranty, and the new replacement treated internally for rust prevention.

Never seen one do that before! 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #425500 22nd May 2015 10:09am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
The parts warranty is quite clear.....

"Every Land Rover Approved Accessory comes with a 12 month warranty. Accessories fitted within one month or 1,600 kilometres/1,000 miles (whichever occurs first) of the handover of a new Land Rover will be covered by the vehicle warranty."

http://www.landrover.com/ownership/parts-warranty.html

As to what's going on with your bumper is unclear but the suggestion above with that amount of rust seems most likely. If you fall into the "approved" category above go see your dealer and insist it is sorted. If you have no joy....LRCS is your next step. I am sure they will assist and a decent compromise will be brokered especially as it was fitted by the dealer.

Here would be your next port of call perhaps or transfer the thread to here for a public domain response and assistance?

http://www.defender2.net/forum/land-rover-...-vf41.html If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #425501 22nd May 2015 10:14am
Limey

Italy 
I've got the same NAS rear bumper/step on my '08 and it's still not leaking rust like that.

Like somebody else said, it's full of water. Therefore it will rust from the inside out, given enough time. Don't let them fob you off, that must be fixed.
Post #425506 22nd May 2015 10:31am
munch90

England 
that's terrible , I would want a new step then rust proof inside it
Post #425513 22nd May 2015 10:42am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Sure it could be coming out of the tube, but can you rule out it's not coming out from anywhere else first?

That spray pattern suggests it's coming out under some pressure. That's odd to me.

If it is coming out of the bumper then you have to decide if it's something draining in regularly first or just that it was full of water when first fitted. Hard to imagine the latter.

Taking the rear step bumper off is an easy task you could do yourself to see if there is water in the tube. I'd expect a dealer could swap this out for a new one in under an hour. So you could wait whilst they did it or even watch to see if there is water in it. Let them take it off and keep it to argue with LR - you should just be able todrive the vehicle away and still use it.

There are some shims in the kit that fit behind the end of the tubes were they meet the rear cross member. Mine were missing when the dealer fitted it but I'm thinking that they might also serve to stop wate running into the tube ends?
Post #425532 22nd May 2015 12:19pm
jerseyman

Mine was nowhere near as bad as that but was replaced under warranty with no arguments at all.

Brian
Post #425541 22nd May 2015 12:45pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Whatever the cause something is not right, don't attempt to clean it and take it back. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #425544 22nd May 2015 12:58pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
As others have said looks like the tube is filling up with water and then when you go round a corner it is forcing itself out.

Get in touch with your dealer they should replace it foc and before you fit the replacement fill it with some sort of cavity wax.

I wouldn't want my tow bracket to be rusting that fast! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #425545 22nd May 2015 12:59pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
When I read through your description I was expecting a couple of little marks as some on here get a bit carried away.
My first reaction was to laugh when I saw your pic though, Defender looks a bit scarred there Laughing

Take it back though in all seriousness though as its a warranty claim for them to sort and dont wash it as its hard to argue with it looking like that.
Looks like a no openings in yours and its full of water so request a new NAS step. shouldnt be a problem. Thumbs Up
Post #425619 22nd May 2015 7:43pm
Rugbyball

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Thanks guys - much appreciated!

Will let you know how I get on with the dealer! 2015 Overfinch Defender XS 90
1998 50th Anniversary V8
1989 90 CSW
Many Discoveries...
Post #425702 23rd May 2015 9:09am
deplec

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
I have that step on my 11 plate and have not seen anything like that. Mine was treated from new but what you are seeing is unacceptable. Let them take it in for a week or 2 if they need to, just insist on a courtesy car for the duration...
Post #425707 23rd May 2015 9:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1