↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Bearmach Challenger Wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Bearmach Challenger Wheels
I saw a set of Bearmach Challenger rims today, not yet mounted with tires, brand new out of the box. They were total CRAP! I couldn't believe how poor the workmanship was, almost each and every spoke on all 5 had dents dings and flat spots on them where the spokes have a bend. The powder coating was reasonable, but it was easy to see that the dents and dings were before powder coating, as the coating was smooth over the imperfections.

Is this the usual standard from them? I'm assuming (hoping) that the Zu rims would be a better product?

The big problem is that on this side of the pond, nobody actually stocks any aftermarket items or accessories, so it's taking a chance ordering, (paying a ton of shipping) and hoping that the quality is descent. Shopping on the internet, you never know what you are going to get.

From what I have read on the board, there are several different manufacturers of this style of rim, who's producing with the best quality?
Post #421630 6th May 2015 6:42pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
challenger wheels have always had a bit of a bad reputation and rightly so, there cheap for a reason.

The zu's are alloy in comparison, ive just bought 1 new one as a spare and the quality is as you would expect of any new wheel for any make car. No faults or issues at all, just a nice good quality wheel.

Hope this helps you a bit. Cheers
Post #421638 6th May 2015 7:16pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Deja Vue...... Laughing

K9F wrote:
^^^^
The Challenger' wheel offered by them which looks like a Mach 5 IMHO has a horrendous offset and are very poorly finished on both the welds and coating. Do not commit without seeing pictures of them fitted and/or seeing a set first.

From an older thread.....

K9F wrote:
The later style of Mach 5 when Matt Lee resurrected the manufacture of Mach 5s had the new shape centres that were no longer round. It was cheap copies that put him out of business in the end. The cheaper steel copy is the 'Challenger' wheel on which the spokes are not uniform, they flare towards the rim. They also have in my opinion the worse offset ever produced.
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #421641 6th May 2015 7:21pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Yup... I'm glad I didn't go down that road. Usually things that are cheap, are cheap for a reason.

I see Zu Anthracite rims in my future.... who's a reasonably priced retailer?
Post #421647 6th May 2015 7:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1