↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Security - Which Device?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chrispy

Wales 1987 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Keswick Green
Security - Which Device?
Ok chaps (and ladies), i'm beefing up the security on the wife's 90 and would like your opinions please. I intend to get a hell of a lot more security devices but am stuck between two that I can afford right now at the moment. Which of these two would you install first please?

http://www.paddockspares.com/x-defend-defe...icles.html

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271832795841?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

They both have their merits, however the first one is only noticeable when the vehicle is actually open yet the second one is a visual deterrent as soon as you approach the vehicle. I looked at the safeTpedal but don't fancy having to put it in and disconnect it constantly and the benefit of the X Defend is it's permanently bolted in and folds back and acts like a scuff plate too. I plan on getting both of these security devices i'm asking about here but I only have the cash for one right now so as always, your thoughts and advice is very much appreciated Thumbs Up
Post #416785 17th Apr 2015 8:48am
leeds

United Kingdom 
My daughters 90 has the xDefend fitted and it's great. Easy to lock and not a pain to carry round. The only downside to it was I found it a bit slippy underfoot abd suggested to Bren that he stuck some rubber or something to it. I don't know whether he did or not but she has never complained and believe me she would if it were a problem. It's never been tested in anger and hopefully never will.
Regards
Barbara
Post #416786 17th Apr 2015 8:54am
chrispy

Thanks. Yes I was looking at that and thinking of sticking a sheet of rubber to the back but then it could retain damp etc and in turn (over time) corrode the plate. It's still an excellent piece of kit and not as fiddly as the safeTpedal.
Post #416787 17th Apr 2015 9:05am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
There are basic things that can be done that costs next to nothing but time, a few are contained in the following: Pedal lock is always a great idea whatever brand you go for. X-Eng also make a barrel lock. An autonamous horn wired up independantly through doors and bonnet via autonamous switches hard-wired via a fuse and remote isolation switch is basic but also unexpected perhaps? Latter models relocating OBD socket perhaps? A decent tracker is a must in my book. Filling the door hinge bolt heads with stainless ball bearings with and/or resin........ Multiple layers of security none of which are expensive is the prudent thing to do.

Many people 'consider' security but find they're too late.......Landywatch has loads......

wrote:
Afraid I never got round to a tracker... meant to ...

Venomator wrote:
custom90steve wrote:
Tracker?

Jon has asked for more details over at LW, but it appears at first sight not...
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #416790 17th Apr 2015 9:15am
chrispy

Tracker is going in on Monday along with a fuel cut off switch. Getting a boss quick release so the steering wheel can be taken off every night too. The alarm system allows tracking even if the battery is disconnected and commands can be sent to the 90 to switch the engine or electrics off while moving. I also plan on getting a Rat Trap and it won't go anywhere then. Forgive my ignorance but OBD socket?
Post #416791 17th Apr 2015 9:24am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
OBD socket is the plug which allows technicians, tuners and scallywags to talk to the vehicles computer using another computer to ether service it, make it go faster or move without you knowing in respective order Thumbs Up

They came in to defenders somewhere around the 300Tdi mark and mainly only talked to the alarm system.

I would second what K9f Has said, Any form of peddle lock (that x defend to my eye looks best- had it been available at the time I would have got it in preference to my adrenaline lock), the ignition shroud is a good one, the gearbox lever one is a very good one to pair with the peddle lock, as well as your own alarm system and a tracker.

Would like details of the Fuel cutoff via pm please if your comfortable Thumbs Up The rat lock looks good too, I think you will be the first on here to fit one so we would all be interested to hear from you as to how it goes Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #416795 17th Apr 2015 9:50am
chrispy

The fuel cutoff is going in on Monday so as soon as it's done i'll find out how he did it and let you know. The guy who does my repairs is Censored hot with Landys fair play to him and has a lot of simple yet effective mods on his to stop it being stolen. I'll pick his brain later and find out.
Post #416796 17th Apr 2015 9:56am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #416797 17th Apr 2015 10:00am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
We have the X-Defend. Have to say it is very easy to use. I cut the original floor mat down and have it over the top of the X-Defend so It isnt at all slippy. I also wrapped it in bright red sticky back plastic to make it a little more obvious to any potential theives!

One note though. Installed ours with the old style clutch pedal spring and it worked perfectly, with the ratchet lock having about 5 clicks. Since doing the clutch spring mod it no longer works quite as well with only one or two clicks. Still mega secure though.

Cheers
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #416798 17th Apr 2015 10:02am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
X defend pedal lock for me. As for the slipperiness I use a genuine floor rubber mat and have just cut little bits out so as not to foul the lock and the mat can stay in all the time folding up with the pedal lock Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #416801 17th Apr 2015 10:08am
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
I have just finished covering my 90 with Smartwater inside and out and under the bonnet together with the wheels. Very cheap and easy thing to do and although it wouldn't stop it actualy being stolen hopefully it would be deterrent to some.

I also use the Ardcase pedal lock, this is a very heavy duty piece of kit that is quite visible.
Post #416802 17th Apr 2015 10:31am
andyace

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Baltic Blue
mine has this
http://goo.gl/kgYROq

cut the wire feeding the ECU in the fusebox under the drivers seat and route through the relay.
connect as many of the other connections that you want to use, eg door opening, siren etc.
route the 2 antennas out of the seat box through the tunnel and behind the dash.

once done you can track your defender, cut the engine with a text (when it drops below 20mph), set a perimeter, get an alert when it goes over xxxmph etc.

£27 plus a pay and go sim, and always locate your Landy. this was the first install location, i have passed the info on enough times that i moved the location of the install in mine :*).
Post #416811 17th Apr 2015 10:59am
chrispy

That looks good Andyace fair play and thanks once again to all. I've just ordered the X Defend and it's being delivered tomorrow so it will be installed on Monday along with the other items.
Post #416820 17th Apr 2015 11:37am
taffrican

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
For those of you interested in the X Defend pedal lock, I just ordered one from Foundry 4x4, I was informed (think I read it on this forum somewhere) that if you are a member of Landywatch you would qualify for a 10% discount, this is not the case, the discount is now 5%, which is better than a kick in the pants Thumbs Up you have to order over the phone for the discount though, saved just under a tenner Thumbs Up Optimists say the glass is half full..
Pessimists say the glass is half empty..
Engineers say the glass is twice the size it needs to be!
Post #419753 28th Apr 2015 3:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1