↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Electronic rust prevention
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
wmca

Australia 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Rust preventative electronic device.
In AU we obviously do not have to endure salt on our roads, however some 4x4’s do spend a fair bit of time on the beach, this is very corrosive and acts quickly to cause rust, I have had two vehicles, currently a Puma fitted with an electric rust preventer, a lot of persons do use this device and seem to have success with it. While the one demonstrated in the adv is not the brand I use it does work providing the six “earthed straps” are checked annually for good connections. Would I do it again, without doubt, check for pricing, it is a simple unit and should only cost around $3-4 hundred dollars fitted.
Regards Bill. WMcA Brisbane Australia
Defender 2.4 Puma 2009

“Airbags! The other vehicle is my crumple zone!"
Post #419309 26th Apr 2015 11:08pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Interesting post WMCA can you possibly provide a link to the one you are using please? I would like to find out more on this. Thank you.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #419340 27th Apr 2015 8:02am
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
I have had a CAT device fitted to my defender for about 5 years (also from Australia )

https://www.catsystemsaustralia.com.au

Similar idea to the one in the video
I live by the coast and in a very corrosive environment (salt spray and cattle slurry ) - just down the road from Grafty99
Everything rusts very quickly
Does my defender still rust - yes
Does it rust as quickly as one without the electronic box of tricks - I have no idea
Would I fit the device again - probably not - sounds like a good idea but no proof that it actually works
If someone could purchase two new defenders and fit one with this device, I would happily do a real world test for the benefit of all members of this forum Thumbs Up
Post #419511 27th Apr 2015 6:01pm
wmca

Australia 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Electronic rust prevention on Puma
Thanks for your enquiry, regarding a link I am unable to find however if you go on the nett and put in Motor one it may come up, this is the fitter of mine. Many comments have been made in AU, Most if not all have supported the product, in some cases I suggest that a lot of vehicles have never seen the beach! Having a mix of metals in Puma seems not to be a concern at the moment, mine was registered in 2008 and has been on beaches a fair bit of its time and currently does not show any sign of rust and it has a seven year guarantee, after a yearly check, and yes there is a small charge for this. I do know of others that have one of these fitted and have no issues. Areas of concern for me is that corrosion seems to attack electrical components and alloys on the engine. I have at times driven through salt sea water about 500 mm’s and do not like doing it but some tides come in quick here, within ten minutes and can be 8-10 meter tides! I repeat what I said previously, would I do it again Yes, especially if confronted with the problems in UK like you do. Regards Bill. WMcA Brisbane Australia
Defender 2.4 Puma 2009

“Airbags! The other vehicle is my crumple zone!"
Post #419637 27th Apr 2015 11:18pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Post #422218 9th May 2015 2:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12