↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGR tip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
zone30

Belgium 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Nara Bronze
It is.

Like I've been saying: if you listen for it when turning the engine off, you should hear it. If you don't listen for it, but can't igore it, it's too loud.

Still haven't dared the 2SO in my engine...

Can't find the time to take the picture - always too dark when I finally get home...
Post #408622 18th Mar 2015 10:35am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
On my 08 XS before I had the 'EGR off' option I never heard it once in about 4 years. Mind you SWMBO reckons I'm deaf anyway!

Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #408674 18th Mar 2015 3:05pm
Forestman1

Sweden 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
Problems with EGR valve. Again!!
Hello DEFENDER2.NET!!
DEFENDER 110 S, 2011, 67000 km.
My EGR valve was replaced in February 2013 and yesterday I had the engine service lamp coming on with the found error codes as follows:
P0404 Return of exhausts Component is hanging open
P1103 Mass air flow sensor Malfunction (temporarely)
P1102 Mass air flow sensor Malfunction (temporarely)
(Motor is running normal.)
I have the chucka chuca´s of course and those have been there since I bought the car three weeks ago.
(The Defender´s mileage is now on 67000 km and I have drowed it for approx 2000 km.)
I let the codes go off yesterday and for now the yellow lamp is not lit.
Will try to make it come on again and see how long it takes.
The former owner had the engine lamp going on sometimes but he says that when he was running a high rpm for a while it went off. He then thought it was a dirty particulate filter and did this several times during the last year.
He was mainly driving in town but I use the Defender only on main roads now.

With those codes; do I have to change the bloody EGR vent again?
There is no warranty left and I think it is quite absurd to take that cost within such a short time after the replaceing in 2013. Off course I see in this thread that people have replaced it like that.
Here in Sweden we have a good Forum but there are still not so many experiences of the EGR problem.
Please help me with some support on this.
Post #416650 16th Apr 2015 6:21pm
K9F

There is no particulate filter on a 2.4. If you have the time or inclination remove your EGR and clean it using brake cleaner. If not just replace it.
The codes you are experiencing and the associated MIL lamp are codes that will automatically reset after a few driving cycles if the fault does not reoccur in that time. They may become more frequent as time goes by. Try the cleaning method it will not cost much but time.

These images show how clogged they can become especially in the gear operating mechanism. I doubt drilling a small hole in the casing as the OP suggests would prevent this..... Laughing Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

More information here:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2227.h...r+cleaning If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #416656 16th Apr 2015 6:49pm
Forestman1

As I see, looking on my engine the EGR is placed far down and not so easy to reach from the top as on other cars.
What is the best strategy to take it off for cleaning? From underneath or by dismounting a lot of tubes and cables that are in the way?
Post #417063 18th Apr 2015 3:03pm
K9F

If you have wingtop chequerplate remove the bonnet, kneel on the wing or use a stepladder to access it over the top of the wing, be cafeful with your elbows and tools etc. the wingtops dent very easily. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #417066 18th Apr 2015 3:39pm
Forestman1

Ok,
If I manage to get it off, is there something to be done after replaceing. Any adjustments?
Read somewhere that a new EGR needs to be tuned or something...
Post #417103 18th Apr 2015 6:19pm
K9F

No. Take it off clean it, refit. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #417117 18th Apr 2015 7:17pm
Dreadnought

Poland 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I,m soon to be buying a 50,000 mile 2010 Defender with Puma 2.4 All other diesels I,ve owned that have had EGR I have blanked the EGR off and unplugged. I do appreciate that on more modern vehicles it will upset the management system if I do this. I do not need to worry about lights coming on, I just don't want it going into limp home? EGRs are IMHO useless items just there to appease the greenies....and I lived in a country where the MOT doesn't include emissions, which on my earlier EGR diesels have improved along with economy as soon as I blanked the EGR?
Post #421038 4th May 2015 11:13am
zone30

Just unplug it, but the MIL light will come on at one point.
The fact it does that, you won't know if something real is going wrong, so that's why I haven't done it myself.

Other option is to rewrite the ECU and close it that way.

Third possible option is like this: I know a guy who is planning on experimenting with moving it into the air intake thus fooling the system. No further info yet if it worked or not though...
Post #421039 4th May 2015 11:19am
Dreadnought

Poland 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Thanks zone...with my other diesels I just made up a blanking plate, they were not as modern as this one being Renault, Rover and VW. Each and every one definitely benefited from having the EGR blanked off.
Post #421062 4th May 2015 2:28pm
zone30

My EGR is still under (extended) warranty, so I haven't yet bothered. They replaced it once and the second now has a hole in it for lubrication (I know, still need to make the picture). If it fails again within the next commaing 18 months, it will be a new 3th one. If it fails later, I will have it written out as the cost is about the same as a new one + placement.
Post #421067 4th May 2015 2:55pm
K9F

As mentioned with a 2.4 Puma unplugging the EGR valve and running with a permanent MIL light could potentially mask a more serious issue. The only effective and wise way of doing it would be partial blanking which proved to be successful in the earlier days of Puma ownership prior to EGR switch off remaps. I am unaware of any proven methods of simply blanking it off without having the associated MIL light. You started with the blank with the largest orifice and gradually reduced over time until the MIL light illuminated then went back to the previous size. Each vehicle was different so no definitive size for all could be said to work. It was trial and error until you found the size ideally suited to your needs.

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #421068 4th May 2015 2:56pm
Forestman1

Where can we buy these partial blanks?
I´m on for a new EGR now on warranty and maybe a partial blank would be wise to put in? Defender 110 SW S, 2011, Galway Green
Post #421069 4th May 2015 3:01pm
K9F

Same question came from an established Forum member in Germany. I sent him the set I have (minus the blank I still have fitted) and he had a set made and returned mine. If you have no success finding any and have a means of getting some made you pay the postage and return it when finished, I'll send you one of mine as a pattern. The smallest one had an 8mm hole and largest 19mm with a selection of sizes in between.
A small advantagious modification he made was to turn the two mounting holes into slots so the EGR bolts only had to be loosened rather than undone to swap the blanks out.

ZeDefender wrote:
No - none on eBay but the ones K9F is sending me are positioned at the manifold with no problems. I intend to make modified versions that slip in and out just by loosening the nuts without taking out the studs - 5 minute job then, tops.
They may need changing depending on tuning, air temperature etc. I should know in a couple of weeks Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #421070 4th May 2015 3:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>