Home > eBay & Bargain Spots > Alive Ultimate Intercooler 2.4 & 2.2 Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Alive Ultimate Intercooler 2.4 & 2.2 Puma
Alive Ultimate intercooler seems to be quite new, pickup only unfortunately

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&...1840329790 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #416655 16th Apr 2015 6:46pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi Jomara,

I fitted mine nearly two years ago.....but that is reasonably priced.... Thumbs Up

K9F wrote:
I have been considering the installation of an upgraded intercooler for some time. Allisport was the general 'favoured cooler of choice' but the recent pulling of the advertisement off of E-Bay to 'clear the backlog' and the apparent shortage in the UK of decent aluminium TIG welders I decided to extend my search a little further.

A phonecall earlier in the year explained to me that there were some top quality Austrian Engineered intercoolers in the offing and that they would be worth the wait but would come at a premium.

Being a great advocator and believer in 'You get what you pay for' I decided to wait. Serck were available but I resisted the temptation. Made a subsequent call earlier in the week to see if and when they would be available. I was also after a set of silicone hoses as well.

Phonecall made I was informed first batch were in and that (after a little persuasion) a set of stainless steel interconnecting hard-pipes with silicone attachments were possibly to be had too.

12 hours to strip and fit, claret all over the engine bay due to hands being cut to shreds, but am I happy? Hell yes! Great advice and photographs for the fitment from a fellow forum member. You know who you are and yet another BIG THANK YOU to the member concerned.

Bow down Thumbs Up

Photographs speak a thousand words so here's a few against a stock intercooler as comparison. Starting of course with the arrival of a very well packaged parcel.....Worth the wait as excellently engineered and finished. The service from Gary at Alive was top notch too, with update when package was being sent and when arrival could be expected.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #416664 16th Apr 2015 7:19pm
jomara

Just wish it was closer Mal, did it make a big difference to yours? 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
2022 110 250D XS
Post #416666 16th Apr 2015 7:21pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
It complimented the remap. There is a myth that intercoolers give you big gains.....not so in my experience but they do reduce running temperatures by a few degrees and the engine dissipates heat a hell of a lot quicker. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #416669 16th Apr 2015 7:27pm
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The bigger Intercoolers don't give you any gains on their own as such. They unlock the 'ability' to get further gains than what's possible in stock form.

Some people think they give gains on their own most probably because they are replacing and old, tired, bunged up stock unit. If they spent a good few hours completely de-clogging their OEM one, they'd probably see the same result as plonking on the new big'un.

There's possibly a small gain given in the fact that LR probably didn't put on the 'best' compromise from factory. It was probably the best 'budget' IC. So you will still have cooler denser air, allowing the stock fuelling to run a little better.

As K9F said though, they come into their own when combined with a proper remap. They utilise the cooler denser air with their stronger mapping to give you what you want Wink.
Post #416703 16th Apr 2015 8:36pm
jomara

I've got one of Gary's maps and was thinking of amassing the parts to go up a stage or so, the bigger intercooler and map made a big difference to my Td5 wasn't sure if the same gains would be apparent on the Pumas Thumbs Up 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
2022 110 250D XS
Post #416727 16th Apr 2015 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1