↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Spotted > Spotted in Kenya
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Brewstop

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
Spotted in Kenya
On a short notice trip with work, spotted some great Defenders! Lots of ideas now!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Sandy
Post #400274 19th Feb 2015 11:52am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Interesting Thumbs Up

Like the anchor points on the corners of the extended rock sliders.
Post #400406 19th Feb 2015 9:38pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
^ ^ ^
Haven't seen two spares on a truck before... Shocked

And then two come along at once... Whistle

The black truck also has what appear to be the same roof rack mounted lights as my Mamba, not seen them before either (and don't have clue what they are!)... Laughing

Interesting looking motors though... Thumbs Up
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #400418 19th Feb 2015 9:52pm
Bastion

United Kingdom 
This looks like a Schuhumacher 4x4...

http://www.schuhmacher4x4.com/
Post #411989 29th Mar 2015 1:28pm
BigM

Kenya 1985 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Bonatti Grey
They most probably are from Schumacher. While some like their look and workmanship no doubt, they are a beast to drive; only my opinion. I find them very heavy, lurching as the road bends, not overtaking in the dense Kenya traffic as easily as a standard 110 does. With their overweight outfitting, they lost the Defender's fundamental lightness quality, especially in the "black cotton mud", commonly found in the Mount Kenya area where these pictures were taken. Then, is anyone not seeing the price they go for?
Post #412130 29th Mar 2015 7:46pm
Bastion

United Kingdom 
Scuhumacher do look like they very much know what they're doing but sooo much metal! I could imagine the A-Team going into a cave with one of these and coming out with a cargo plane or Transformer..

Big M, fascinating that you've actually driven one. Last year I was looking at getting Schu 4x4 to do one for me, my draw was that they would use the Brazilian 2.8 tgv, so stronger than the 300tdi and no electronics like the Puma, rock solid hopefully but as you say, their prices...

I know Defenders don't come cheap but ~£50k for a rebuild with options was too fierce.

The 'black cotton mud' sounds extremely sticky (though these pictures seem tame) I'm on the west coast and likely to see heavy rains and some boggy conditions too, can I ask if you've done anything extra to your vehicle to cope with such conditions?

James.
Post #412170 29th Mar 2015 9:01pm
BigM

Hello James,

When I first climbed into a full-options 110 from Schumacher, I thought I had found the Graal. While admiring it at a petrol station in Karen last year, the driver told me he was selling it at a reasonable price on behalf of its owner who has gone back to Europe. He welcomed a test drive. Then it all fell apart. Though it had a 3.9 V8 that badly needed a proper maintenance, the 110 with all its kit felt like a grossly overweight vehicle. It is a well-made machine, but in my view it is overkill, and some of the design cues, I find a tad vulgar. As someone else remarked on this thread, its most interesting features could be the rock/tree sliders with angled shackles at each extremities; also heavy, but apparently a well-thought piece of kit.

Since 1986, I have had the pleasure of using all sorts of vehicles across East and Central Africa, from deep inside the Congo to the very fine sand of the Somali coastal plains. I owned many, e.g. firstly a Series III, a great heritage, much loved it but it rattled and often broke down; solid Toy Hi-Lux's and Land Cruiser's, and even a VW Combi that surprisingly got me and my friends through muddy Kivu. I even had a brief adventure with a Peugeot 504 SW 4x4 Dangel - a strange French contraption sold to the Ugandans during the last days of the Obote regime. That car did wonders when it worked, which it did not do often enough.

After thirty years, I have concluded that for work purpose nothing beats a Toyota HJ76 six cylinders; and for personal use nothing inspires me more that a One Ten. If not in its original configuration as its designers intended, I would recommend to keep the 110 as simple as possible.

Black cotton - when wet - beats most 4X4; but not a properly driven 110 - light on gas pedal and no brakes (the pictures were taken on the lawn next to the Nanyuki airstrip). I find the following combination has given the best results in tough terrain:

1. Discovery sourced 300 Tdi with its original autobox. In mud or sand, when the challenge gets tough and fast disappearing traction forces the driver to shift a gear down of its manual gearbox, there is always that fraction of a second when the vehicle looses momentum, "sinks" and often gets stuck. The auto gearbox solves this with its continuous process. It is also very effective in Nairobi traffic or on the dangerous road to Mombasa (I am sure you know this well).

2. Good quality tyres. I always deflate the tyres prior to going in heavy mud or soft sand. The one piece of kit I miss as a last resort is a set of quality chains, if all else fails. We used them to good effect in the army.

3. Lightweight. This is perhaps the other fundamental aspect. My Hi-Cap does not have a heavy body and when correctly loaded - low and over its rear axle - it performs better than the SW and other heavier 110's; allowing me to "gymkhana" with ease around stuck 4WD's - often Toyota LC's. When I bought it, I removed its after-market bull-bar (I see no real use for one, except in Australia ... or in a military role), and every non-essential bits. I added powerful extra lights front and rear to deter other night road users to leave their high-beams on me.

Voilà, sorry for a long answer. I don't post much here, though I really like reading the sensible posts on this forum; but your question deserved an answer.

BTW, in Europe, I drive a Mercedes Benz GD 250 Wolf, ex-Bundeswehr. It is a bit agricultural but in Spring and Summer with its canvas removed, on-road it is a great roadster, and off-road with its windshield down, three diff locks and a bit of practice, it can get into and climb out of situations impossible for others, Defenders included ...

All best,

Emmanuel
Post #412556 30th Mar 2015 11:59pm
Bastion

United Kingdom 
Hi Emmanuel,

They say less is more but this is definitely one of those times when more is more. Thanks for your reply.

Had a look at the 'Dangel'… they really… vivre la difference, if that makes sense.

The weight thing is of an issue to me, i've already got a roll cage on, as a pure safety concern and i'm mulling over a winch. It's hard to project somewhat. Not having the defender i haven't driven in stuff the defender was meant for, yet I have to decide if I might need it without having a clue as to what it'll take before its necessary. I've actually also never driven a puma, my experience being in Tdis and TD5s, so i'm not completely sure how it'll handle out the box so to speak. Mine's looking to get a nice little tune and some OME springs and shocks but i'm looking to make it capable without compromising the driveability.

Did you have much use for a winch or lockers in your time (not that it's past) or were you mostly ok with other recovery methods? I'm mostly going to be alone so worry a bit about getting bogged in beyond tread tracks and a high lift.

As for location, i'm actually going to be on the other coast. Ghana/Benin/Nigeria, where sadly we don't have as much of a Landie culture as in Kenya. I have a number of friends in Nairobi and was to come there for work (hence the Shuchumacher gambit) but haven't quite made it over yet… very keen to come though.

Yeah that GD wolf… it's a thing of utilitarian beauty…

All the best.
J.
Post #412789 31st Mar 2015 8:24pm
BigM

Hello James,

It all depends on how you intend to use your Defender and how far you plan to go off-road on your own. I don't recommend the latter though; as a matter of principle, especially not in Kenya, and let alone for other security reasons. Winches are made for specific working tasks and extreme conditions, not as a carry along all the time. With a bit of practice and accessories your hi-lift can serve as a decent manual winch. Then, depending on which region you plan visiting, in today's ever more densely populated Africa, there will always be some people not too far off to help you. Lockers are a tempting option; depending again how often you will use your 110 in circumstances and terrain demanding this capacity. If you have the funds, fit the auto-lockers recommended by Ashcroft. Otherwise, I spend my money on quality and fresh tyres, a decent guesthouse on private ranches and wines. With central diff lock engaged when the terrain demands it, I have always got as far as I needed or wanted without too much trouble.

Wishing you well in your other endeavours, all best,

Em

Attached picture of my Hi-Cap on probably same parking spot in Nanyuki on a rainy sunny day

Click image to enlarge
Post #413058 1st Apr 2015 9:08pm
Bastion

United Kingdom 
I spend my money on quality and fresh tyres, a decent guesthouse on private ranches and wines

Hmm.. when you put it that way, this is probably the way to go. Wink Thanks a lot for your input, really appreciated.

And that is just a dynamite photo.. and model Thumbs Up

Stay well Em, safe journeys.
Post #413062 1st Apr 2015 9:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1