Home > Technical > how does TC work
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
how does TC work
As per the title -how does it work

I presume once loss of traction is detected abs module applies braking to wheel where traction is lost?

Assuming this is the case it's contrary to what I've been told before ie abs can't apply brakes?

Thanks
Post #407461 14th Mar 2015 11:50am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
On the Td5 it is as you say, when a wheel starts spinning the abs goes into reverse and brakes that wheel. If you are using it hard it will stop as the modulator overheats and stops everything which is disconcerting on a failed hill climb where you declutch and brake at the same time and find the clutch goes in and in the split second before you can get the gearlever into reverse you realise that the brake pedal is solid and you haven't any brakes as you fall under the laws of gravity!
Post #407479 14th Mar 2015 12:56pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
http://www.4x4australia.com.au/drive/1109/...n-control/ --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #407480 14th Mar 2015 12:59pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Knew it was there somewhere.....

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2427.h...on+control

Hope this isn't going to be another marathon..... Laughing Whistle If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #407495 14th Mar 2015 1:49pm
Caterham

Me too mate....

Getting there but very slowly (as u know new flange already fitted to transfer box and that seems to have solved all of the hand brake related issues ie odd feeling to lever and rumbling when slowing down) ....

When you had issues ie damaged sensor wires did the brand apply themselves at all and if so was it the typical pulsating you would experience with abs being applied while braking ie skidding in the snow / ice.

Next job is to A frame ball joint as soon as I can.

Slowly getting there....done 53k miles now. Thumbs Up
Post #407516 14th Mar 2015 4:17pm
K9F

The problem initially was just indication and illumination of 'the three amigos' as they are affectionately known and they used to manifest themselves in damp conditions only and could not be found on two visits to the dealers. Months later I was heading towards a single track bridge and at the last minute had to brake hard, this exacerbated my intermittent symptoms greatly and the Landy was almost undriveable without pulling the main ABS/TC fuse as the brakes were going nuts and the vehicle lurched to the left, especially evident when slowing down or initially setting off. On carrying out the insulation/resistance checks this revealed where the fault lay. As soon as I got underneath and messed about with the loom the fault disappeared but I persevered and found the issue which was a chaffed portion of the loom.

The chaffed portion was only about 1" long, was smothered in Waxoyl and it was little wonder the dealer couldn't locate it.

Have kept it all this time lying in my cubby box cup holder and had forgotten about it until your timely reminder. Here it is.....

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #407530 14th Mar 2015 5:13pm
Caterham

Mal. Thanks very much. Will be having a look but suspect I'm still at the early stages (if at all of course).

Thanks again.
Post #408175 16th Mar 2015 6:43pm
munch90

England 
whats happening for you to be looking tc ?
Post #408182 16th Mar 2015 6:54pm
Caterham

Hi munch90,

I think I may have mentioned this elsewhere here but can't remember......

I was parked up Friday afternoon after doing a few miles in the p'in rain in the morning (just remembered it was one of Mal's posts where I mentioned it as he found a TC fault after his 90 got wet)....any how I left the car park very slowly and I heard what sounded like the brakes being applied to rusty discs and I 'think' I just spotted an amber coloured light on the dashboard????

Other than the noise there was no obvious mechanical issue ie no severe breaking?

Since finding out that the TC applies the brake it does make me wonder if this is also the reason for sometimes getting the sensation of the brakes being applied / the sensation of reduced power ( ie driving along happy as can be then it suddenly feels like there's a big trailer on the back - most peculiar.?
Post #408198 16th Mar 2015 7:32pm
munch90

England 
The tc can be a bit touchy on defenders

mine will cut injust dropping of a kerb

also sometimes the brake pedal without touching it will vibrate just for a split second like the abs is charging up or something ( bit hard to describe )
Post #408224 16th Mar 2015 8:45pm
Caterham

Interesting - thanks. From memory there is more than one fuse for the abs (or is that the ecm)

Can I pull a fuse to disable / give it a trial?

Thank you?
Post #408227 16th Mar 2015 8:50pm
munch90

England 
Apart from k9f's post , i have never heard from brakes coming on as your driving , seen hundreds of binding brakes from wrongy fitted brake switchs , seized calipers, internally collapsed pipes, pads seized in carriers etc etc

Not 100% on this , but sure tc only works under 5mph or something

tell a lie , we had a discovery that as you pulled away it would brake itself on one front wheel , only dont it at low speed once going bit faster it was ok , turned out to be a abs ring on the front cv joint had moved and not giving a good signal to senser , levellered the ring over in abs sensor hole and seemed to cure it
Post #408231 16th Mar 2015 9:04pm
K9F

K9F wrote:
.......especially evident when slowing down or initially setting off.

My experiences ties in nicely with your post Munch. Thumbs Up

munch90 wrote:
Not 100% on this , but sure tc only works under 5mph or something...tell a lie , we had a discovery that as you pulled away it would brake itself on one front wheel ,
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #408278 16th Mar 2015 10:56pm
Caterham

fairly sure it's not the pads or pistons (replaced all pads recently and nothing seemed to be seized), had the brakes come on twice which I'm confident was related to the brake switch.

moving out of the car park the other day I'd have been going very slowly and it was roughly at the point of changing up to 2nd gear so quite possibly <5 mph albeit the surface was smooth I was turning right so possibly relates to tc coming on for a moment.

with regards to the sensation of the brakes coming on while driving along merrily I don't really think its the brakes but its that kind of sensation.....more like a remap that gently reduces the power to 25%...... mechanically everything sounds absolutely fine - no excessive injector noise, no mechanical clattering just a complete lack of responsiveness / power. I doesn't unduly bother me because I'm confident it's not doing any harm just strange and a little frustrating.

Thumbs Up
Post #408329 17th Mar 2015 9:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1