↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Crufts Poisoning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Crufts Poisoning
Very sad news of the death of one of the competing dogs at Crufts who appears to have been poisoned whilst at the event - BBC Article Here.

I know there are a lot of dog-lovers amongst us and I find it deeply saddening that someone would do something like this. My sympathies and condolences go out to the breeders / owners of Jagger. I really hope that they find the perpetrators and bring them to justice. A real shame for what should be an enjoyable international event. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #405810 8th Mar 2015 11:06pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Owner seems to be pointing the finger at a member of the public rather than a fellow competitor.

Very sad.
Post #405826 8th Mar 2015 11:38pm
Projectblue

England 
wtf is wrong with people? Shocked New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #405838 9th Mar 2015 12:26am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I have just heard on the news that two other dogs have become ill with suspected poisoning. Obviously all we can do is speculate as to the reasons. Whether it was a nutter or someone who also shows these breeds who carried out the poisoning only time will tell. Personally I think that the income know generated by these prize breeds is getting out of hand with puppies from these winners fetching well over a £1000.00 and most owners if the winning dog is a male sell semen straws used for artificial insemination all over the world generating good incomes. Where there is money to be made then there is always the chance that this sort of thing will happen perhaps by eliminating the competition. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #406035 9th Mar 2015 6:21pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I hope they discover the who and why's. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #406090 9th Mar 2015 8:50pm
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
This years event has been tarnished with this, the image of a Canadian agility competitor punching his dog and the way the winner of best in show handled her dog off the stand on Sunday night that is against the rules and is clearly stated so, ( she lifted its back end off by its tail) the judge , ex chairman of the KC would have known this but still allowed it to happen.
I went this year and the amount of dogs left alone on the benches was staggering,
Post #406101 9th Mar 2015 9:09pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Quote:
the way the winner of best in show handled her dog off the stand on Sunday night that is against the rules and is clearly stated so, ( she lifted its back end off by its tail) the judge , ex chairman of the KC would have known this but still allowed it to happen.

Yes! This! I saw it and was livid and nobody else who was watching it with me even registered it! Im glad it wasn't just me and I did see it![/code] Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #406109 9th Mar 2015 9:36pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Wasn't going to post on this, but what the hey!

I saw the tail lift too and was amazed that it seemed to be OK with everyone there. I was pretty stunned as I have only watched Crufts a couple of times - only since we first started thinking about getting a dog and I thought it might be informative.

The woman seemed to have no relationship with the winning dog whatsoever and was just pricking and preening it constantly. That thing she kept doing with making it's tail stand up was very strange. Yuk! My late godmother kept Scotties and they were quiet shy little dogs but great companions to her.

In contrast the runner up seemed be a lovely happy dog, well turned out but not pricked and preened and the handler was playing with it and they both seemed to be enjoying having a good time together.

On a similar note, I was astounded by short and stubbiness of the nose/snout of the Cavalier King Charles breed winner. My brother has had several Cavies over the last 10 years of so and non of the have those short noses. As if the CKS doesn't have enough genetic issues without top breeders giving them short snouts like other 'toy' dogs so they can't breath properly and are constantly licking their noses. How horrid that the 'breed standard' is being pushed towards deformity in this day and age, when animal welfare is supposed to be higher on the agenda!

The KC earned a little more respect from me when they got on board with the docking issue, but really it was only because the law changed that they had to. They need to go much farther on welfare than they do now for me though.

In all the coverage was OK, but there was not enough time given to the sports aspects, with not even showing the prize presentations for the agility, flyball, obedience and music. I think C4 should think about what 'most' people do with their dogs (work, have fun, build relationships) not focus so much on the showing.

I'm not dissing showing as such (I have friends who show horses and understand the business side) but the KC could do far more to rein in the less desirable aspects. Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #406250 10th Mar 2015 1:13pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Quote:
As if the CKS doesn't have enough genetic issues

Well Said Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Pedigree dogs are suffering from years of inbreeding, they are suffering acute problems because looks are emphasised over health when breeding dogs for shows a recent example is spaniels with brains too big for their skulls and who suffer pain all their lives because of this . Other problems occur because of exaggerations bred into dogs by breeders trying to win rosettes.
In my opinion Crufts is becoming a genetic sideshow where dogs are suffering needlessly so that some ‘middle class’ idiot can go home with a silver cup.

For those who thought this was wrong

Maybe you would like to sign this

https://dub131.mail.live.com/?tid=cmhBKTFx...id=flinbox For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #406278 10th Mar 2015 2:04pm
NickH

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Rimini Red
Its appalling, firstly how the dogs are treated by some owners/breeders and secondly the suffering caused by "pure breeding".

As for the dogs which have been poisoned , it has to be to do with money in some way. People will stop at nothing if large sums are at stake.

As pamW said a lot of the owners dont give a monkeys about the animal or have any kind of affinity with it , its all about winning. I see it in the horse world too, particularly when showing horses, owned by so and so , produced by so and so means the owner is there to collect the glory but in reality has nothing to do with the animal. Also with horses and I presume it will be same with dog shows people put make up on the horses and such as boot polish on their noses etc etc why??
Because it gets to the stage where they want to win at any cost and usually its at the animals cost.

Shame Exclamation 2003 Td5 90
2013 sport hse
2012 700 raptor quad
2012 siromer 4x4 tractor
Post #406315 10th Mar 2015 4:44pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
It doesn't matter if its showing dogs , horses or mice it's all corrupt and if your in the correct clique Rolling Eyes
Post #406361 10th Mar 2015 7:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^+1.
I've never known the scale of corruption in everything as much as there has been in recent years. Rolling Eyes
Post #406367 10th Mar 2015 7:40pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/03...ay-owners/

"The organisation added that it was "inconceivable" that the dog, which died late on March 6, had been given two fast-acting poisons at Birmingham's NEC between 28 and 36 hours earlier.

Kennel Club secretary Caroline Kisko said: "There has been a lot of concern about whether the poisoning happened at Crufts and we are now able to reassure all dog-lovers who came to Crufts that this could not have been possible.

"It is highly likely that the poisons, thought to be on a piece of beef, were eaten in Belgium, shortly before Jagger's death."
Post #410120 23rd Mar 2015 10:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1