↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > RDX Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
RDX Lights
After reading some good things online (and here) about the RDX LED lights I bought myself a full set from the Donington 4x4 Show (From BoltonBits). I got the coloured OEM looking ones with both the Reverse and Rear Fog Light.

My findings with these are quite mixed. The RDX relay as people say is brilliant, easy and quick to set up and just works. The indicators and tail lights are also very good, the light output is very good and crisp. Took less than an hour to fit all the light including crimping some connectors up for the reverse and rear fog light and changing the headlights.

The rear fog light is also incredibly bright. However the reverse light was where the dissapointment started. All worked okay as soon as I connected it up and fitted it into the NAS style mount which is standard on our 02' 110. It provided a quite crisp and moderately bright light. However the beam pattern is just appauling, giving only a thin horizontal band of light which does not reach the floor. Obviously useless for a reverse light.

I contacted BoltonBits about this and they told me that they had not had any other complaints about these lights and that I should send the reverse light back with a letter explaining the issue. Which I did, questioning whether the box had instead been packed with an RDX side light which would account for the lower light output.
Eventually after not hearing from them I contacted them again to ask for an update and was told that they would refund me for it (supposedly also for the cost of the connector now crimped onto it and the postage cost). This is a shame as I would have liked a matching (and working!) lamp in return. Sadly there has been no explanation about the poor performance, so I can just assume all are like this. Not to digress but they have not yet refunded me and are no longer replying to my messages.

I am now also somewhat annoyed at the fact one of my sidelights has filled with moisture. This started less than a week after fitting them, during which time I have not washed the car nor had it really rained much. Not that either of these should be a problem for an 'IP67' light unit. I had mentioned this problem to them in one of my previous emails, again they suggested that they had not experienced problems like this before and I should return it to them for investigation. As you can probably gather from the above, I am a little hessitant to do this as it will also nodoubt dissapear into the ether with no sign of a replacement/refund.

On a positive note I am very impressed with the performance of the sidelights, it is just the water ingress which is the problem in one of them. I have informed BoB that I will return the light to them at Ripley Castle show, which I shall also expect a replacement there and then.

Hope this review-ish is useful to someone

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #405028 6th Mar 2015 4:28pm
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've never really looked at a reversing light as a method of seeing where you are going, more a signal to traffic/pedestrians behind that you are reversing, or coming towards them, hence a white light.

If a reversing light was to be used to illuminate the way, I would of thought manufacturers would fit a brighter bulb Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #405038 6th Mar 2015 4:50pm
rallysteve

Reversing in the dark definitely needs a light! As a comparison you can see the difference between the old bulb and the 'upgraded' rdx one.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
Post #405071 6th Mar 2015 6:29pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Sorry to hear of your issues with bob

If you are looking for a reversing light I would recommend mud stuff lab craft scenelight 17 - at Ł90 they are not cheap but give an awesome light output
Post #405078 6th Mar 2015 6:45pm
rallysteve

Cheers. The standard one isnt too bad to be honest so might just hang onto that until i can afford the scenelight.

Cheers
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
Post #405081 6th Mar 2015 6:54pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
A cheap way of increasing illumination for reversing is to put the hazard lights on.

Simple and reasonably effective.

Brendan
Post #405100 6th Mar 2015 7:27pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Surprised BoB's say no one else has complained. I did, as did a couple of people i know.

Trouble is, the fog light is a 2 watt lamp, whereas the 'reverse' light is only a 1 watt unit ... I agree and think It's not actually a dedicated reverse lamp, but simply a nas type front sidelight being used to fill the role ... Evil or Very Mad

All my other lamps have performed faultless in the 2 years fitted, absolutely no issues whatsoever, But the 'reverse' lamp is a let down Crying or Very sad Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #405156 6th Mar 2015 9:15pm
rallysteve

Good to know its not just me cheers! Yeah if it was as bright as the rear fog light it would be great! 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
Post #405179 6th Mar 2015 10:02pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
leeds wrote:
A cheap way of increasing illumination for reversing is to put the hazard lights on.

Simple and reasonably effective.

Brendan

Or just rest your foot on the brake pedal Thumbs Up Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #405200 6th Mar 2015 11:47pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
I had a rear LED indicator from Bolt on Bits that filled with water so the idea they've not heard of this before is wrong, as mentioned above.

They said exactly the same to me though. "Never heard of this before but send it back with an accompanying letter", which I did.

They did replace it FOC and quite promptly though. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #405232 7th Mar 2015 8:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1