↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Crossroads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Crossroads
Havign owned a RaRo P38, about ten Freelanders (1st gen), a Disco2, Nissan Navara and Ford Ranger, I bought a Defender Wink

Having said that, my wife is far from keen on it and when I bullied her into driving it she scared me to the level that I won't let her drive it (even if she wanted to) for her own safety.

I am seriously thinking the Defender was the wrong choice and I should go elsewhere. I fancy a 4x4 so am thinking older used Rangie Td6 or a Freelander2, though I may end up just going back to a rep-mobile.

Is there anything I should be aware of with the Td6 RaRo? Are they as 'bad' as the P38s were reputed to be?

Oh and who wants an April 2010 (10 reg) 110 XS USW in silver with 2700 miles on the clock? Big Cry

Thanks,
Harvey
Post #40163 8th Sep 2010 12:54pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
What did she do!!!
Post #40171 8th Sep 2010 2:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ken

United Kingdom 
Nowt wrong with a L322 DiscoScuzzy Whistle just brought one he love s it
Post #40172 8th Sep 2010 2:22pm
Chunk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
My mrs was the same when she first drove the truck - scared me silly, now I have no issue with her driving it (apart from parking in tight spaces!).

Maybe she will get used to it and needs to work on the confidence?
Post #40174 8th Sep 2010 2:52pm
BigRuss

A couple of years ago when I work on a farm driving tractors pulling articulated trailers I was taught never to take the easy way out when trying to turn round, as one day there wouldn't be and easy way out and I would then be able to turn the tractor and trailer round in small spaces.

This may not sound hard to some but remember there are two pivot point to counter act.

I think his could apply to your misses
Post #40180 8th Sep 2010 4:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
BigRuss wrote:
What did she do!!!

I did write up here somewhere but cannot find now. Basically loads of rev's launches the clutch screams the rev's up to about 4000 rpm dumps the clutch (so we lurch forwards as the transmission robs all forward momentum), snatches 2nd, dumps the clutch screams the rev's again and this continues until we hit about 40-50 mph in a national limit, then I start to notice that we are bouncing and swerving violently all over the road whilst she moans about the steering being 'wrong'. Braking seem to be last minute and then with all the power she can muster to put me through the screen. Just frightening really, knowing how roly-poly the Defender is compared to her Focus I do fear she will roll the thing.

Funnily enough she has driven my dads vans (long wheel-base high-roof Transit, twin wheeled high roof LDV, Berlingo and long wheel-base high-roof dog-leg first Iveco) with no problems at all and she chooses to drive odd ball cars for the experience, yet in the Defender I was just crying with fear!!!
Post #40186 8th Sep 2010 5:05pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
BigRuss wrote:
This may not sound hard to some but remember there are two pivot point to counter act.

I have to say I am a little lost with this one Wink
Post #40187 8th Sep 2010 5:07pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Russ with you there a bit like the old wagon & drag pivot on Hitch and pivot on the dolly Thumbs Up
Post #40189 8th Sep 2010 5:21pm
BigRuss

harveyg77 wrote:
BigRuss wrote:

I have to say I am a little lost with this one Wink

Practise make perfect, she just need to learn how to drive the defender rather than taking the easy way out by buying a different vehical.
Post #40192 8th Sep 2010 6:36pm
BigRuss

ken wrote:
Russ with you there a bit like the old wagon & drag pivot on Hitch and pivot on the dolly Thumbs Up

thats right Ken
Post #40193 8th Sep 2010 6:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1