Home > Puma (Tdci) > Remove able steering wheel boss
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lornick

Scotland 1988 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Remove able steering wheel boss
Hi everyone

I bought a removeable boss from CSK last year that I fitted along with my Momo Nero steering wheel. I like the set-up, but the excessive free play is starting to drive me mad!!

Has anyone got any suggestions that I could replace my current boss with that would remove the free play?

Thanks in advance

Nick
Post #393477 28th Jan 2015 10:58pm
Mike_B

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Java Black
Where's the free play?

In your removable boss (this would be a concern if it isnt a snug tight fit)
In the steering wheel hub, ie loose splines, which would be unlikely

Do you mean that if you're driving in a straight line and "wiggle the steering wheel" left or right a few degrees, the vehicle continues on it's path?
Post #393512 29th Jan 2015 12:02am
nitram17

Re: Remove able steering wheel boss
lornick wrote:
Hi everyone

I bought a removeable boss from CSK last year that I fitted along with my Momo Nero steering wheel. I like the set-up, but the excessive free play is starting to drive me mad!!

Has anyone got any suggestions that I could replace my current boss with that would remove the free play?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Do you mean the overpriced (£110 )rebranded csk boss http://www.csklandrovers.co.uk/online-shop/interior-parts/
.......... that your momo fits onto ......or is it a quick release set up?

There should not be any play if its the former i would look at steering linkages!Having looked at csk website they do appear to rebrand stuff a lot and add 30% plus to the price...... as the going rate for that boss is £50-60 elswere on the web(without CSK logo).If your looking for a good quick release setup you could look at gilarions posts
Post #393515 29th Jan 2015 12:13am
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
Hi Nick, the premium boss on my site has ball bearings in so there is no play what so ever compared to the budget boss - this may be the way to go chap Thumbs Up drop me a pm ill sort you something out.

Nitram - The boss on our site was £110.00 as you stated if you look at the same boss on other sits there £113.00 plus postage - Whistle 30% mark up Whistle

Now the prices have gone up on the boss kit its now on the site for £140.00 incl free delivery next day so in effect postage is £12.00 to me to get it in and then £12.00 to send it out as i cant get them sent direct to suppliers.

See link here from Demon tweeks £112.99 + vat and postage when you phone up Thumbs Up
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/...el-adaptor CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #393607 29th Jan 2015 12:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nitram17

csk. try b&g direct. £112.99 including vat plus postage (£5.00).£118 ish all in for the premium kit........I will let you work out your markup on that fella! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by nitram17 on 29th Jan 2015 9:57pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #393662 29th Jan 2015 2:30pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
There is always a little bit of free play in Defender steering systems, however when I changed my steering wheel for a Momo I actually found the free play was somewhat reduced, due I think to the smaller diameter of the new wheel.

When you say free play how much? If you imagine a clock face are you saying that free play exceeds say the one o’clock position, because if you are then there is something seriously wrong with your set up?

Has the free pay been there since you installed the boss or is it something that has gradually worsened over the year you have had it installed. There are so many components that make up the steering on a Defender it could be many things and not the boss set up such as worn joints or splines faulty steering box loose drop arm etc.
Post #393663 29th Jan 2015 2:42pm
lornick

Scotland 1988 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Thanks - i think........
Just to clarify my original post - there is no "free play" in the steering itself. The free play I'm referring to is the wheel physically moving back and forth on the boss.

For example - if you drive over a set of cobbles and take your hands of the steering wheel, it shakes and makes a hell of a racket!

Thanks

IF I TAKE THE CLOCK FACE EXAMPLE, THERE IS NO FREE PLAY BETWEEN 12 & 1 OR 12 & 11 O CLOCK. THE FREE PLAY IS BACK AND FORTH, I.E YOU CAN PULL THE WHEEL TOWARDS YOU BY 5-10 MM ANYWHERE AROUND THE "CLOCK FACE". Hope that explains it a bit better...
Post #393664 29th Jan 2015 2:45pm
scotia

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
This is most likely the nut holding the boss to the steering column - check it immediately Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Post #393667 29th Jan 2015 3:16pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
That cannot be right, I have driven various Land Rovers with removable steering wheels including both the BG systems that CSK sell on their site and neither performs as you have said. To my mind you have a faulty part! Or as the above post says a loose nut!

I use the Snap Off system which in my opinion is the best set up on the market. I have no play whatsoever, the snap off has also the advantage that there are over a million different combinations and the part is self-adjusting so that should wear occur it will take up that wear and still give no free play.

Look here for pictures of both your system and the snap off one.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic33163.html?highlight=snap
Post #393668 29th Jan 2015 3:17pm
nitram17

Killer90 wrote:
Hi Nick, the premium boss on my site has ball bearings in so there is no play what so ever compared to the budget boss - this may be the way to go chap Thumbs Up drop me a pm ill sort you something out.

Nitram - The boss on our site was £110.00 as you stated if you look at the same boss on other sits there £113.00 plus postage - Whistle 30% mark up Whistle

Now the prices have gone up on the boss kit its now on the site for £140.00 incl free delivery next day so in effect postage is £12.00 to me to get it in and then £12.00 to send it out as i cant get them sent direct to suppliers.

See link here from Demon tweeks £112.99 + vat and postage when you phone up Thumbs Up
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/...el-adaptor

Just tried that link csk and the price is £112.99 including vat and the delivery only £5 from B&G direct
http://www.b-gdirect.com/category-285/b-g-...ystem.html I assume there is a decent profit margin on the £112 price so although I applaud your maximise profit ethic, I hope you will allow my value for money gene to kick in and allow me to keep your £21.00 extra markup in my pocket rather than yours.
Post #393865 29th Jan 2015 10:16pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
OH yeah, heaven forbid that anyone dare make a profit in this day and age Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I expect you can buy an even cheaper Chinese copy made out of coke cans, off you trot! Whistle
Post #393946 30th Jan 2015 8:18am
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
It's a good thing no one is forcing you to buy it from us then really and everyone has there own choice were to purchase it from Whistle Thumbs Up CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #393957 30th Jan 2015 9:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nitram17

diesel_jim wrote:
OH yeah, heaven forbid that anyone dare make a profit in this day and age Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I expect you can buy an even cheaper Chinese copy made out of coke cans, off you trot! Whistle

Of course you are right! but you may have £21 spare to add to killers retirement fund but I have not..... a fair price for a fair product is the motto I work by ............then everybody is happy Thumbs Up

Last edited by nitram17 on 30th Jan 2015 11:51am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #393983 30th Jan 2015 10:56am
munch90

England 
just to worth a spanner in the works

in my way of thinking price isn't always deciding factor ( as long as there near each other on price )

for me its
do they carry stock?
delivery time?
back up service ?
support if you need it ?
Post #393987 30th Jan 2015 11:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1